Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal reuse

after each grill, I always have charcoal to reuse.  This is good, but the problem that I keep having is that the pieces get so small that the oxygen has a problem coming up from the bottom.  I assume that it is from the holes being plugged up.  I always stir up the charcoal before each use and clean out the bottom of the Egg.  

I am not sure if this is normal or if I might be doing something wrong.  Could it be the charcoal I am using?  I typically use inexpensive charcoal like Cowboy, Royal Oak and Stubbs.  

Is it normal to have to remove unused charcoal once the pieces get too small?

Comments

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    I made myself a wiggle rod for that exact reason.  I got a small rod from lowes and bent it into an L on the end and after my fire gets started I poke it under fire grate and lift any small pieces off lump that appears stuck in the fire grate.  It has worked well for me.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Some do, some don't. I leave about 1/2" of ash in the bottom of the egg, same thing I do in my wood stove. Insulates the bricks or egg bottom from the hottest lump. If the leftover lump looks small, I do sometimes remove it, dump in some fresh and throw the little stuff on the top. The second use stuff also lights faster. I do have a High-Q grate, so airflow blockage and the use of a wiggle stick has not been an issue. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014
    I clean the ash about every 3rd cook. I stir the old lump and use a homemade wiggle rod before every cook. People seem to like the High-Q fire grate, but I haven't bought one yet.

You can buy a Wiggle Rod here ...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mkadilla
    Mkadilla Posts: 38
    edited March 2014
    I stir the used charcoal with a BGE ash tool every time. I remove the old charcoal into a bucket, clean the grate and remove the ash. The grate always has a bunch of the holes plugged. I then fill the bottom with new charcoal first (strategically) placing a few bigger pieces on the grate. The used stuff goes on top. This is a little more work, but I am getting consistent results.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My buddy has a high q for his large and lives it. I believe that @stlouischarcoal has a similar product as well.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2014
    I have used the turbo grate since it came out and never had a problem with air flow. I just add new lump to the old and stir the ash thru. But I also do mini clean burns from time to time when I am done cooking when I have a lot of small pieces built up. I just let them burn down to ash. You won't get nucular temps but it does help keep the egg clean.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    My buddy has a high q for his large and lives it. I believe that @stlouischarcoal has a similar product as well.

Yes, we manufacture an expanded stainless steel one.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Yes, we manufacture an expanded stainless steel one.

They are the bee's knees.
  • Resauers
    Resauers Posts: 40
    I use the @stlouischarcoal , which works great (I use for most of my cooks) except when I do low and slow, the factory works a bit better.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Tjcoley said:

Before every cook, I remiove the old charcoal, rinse it in pure rain water I collect in a rain barrel, adjusted for pH due to acid rain, let it dry in the sun, then hand mix 50/50 old and new lump before placing back in the Egg. Works great for me.

Your kidding right?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Mkadilla said:
    I stir the used charcoal with a BGE ash tool every time. I remove the old charcoal into a bucket, clean the grate and remove the ash. The grate always has a bunch of the holes plugged. I then fill the bottom with new charcoal first (strategically) placing a few bigger pieces on the grate. The used stuff goes on top. This is a little more work, but I am getting consistent results.

+1, except I just dump in new charcoal to fill the bottom.
    canuckland
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited March 2014
    Maybe i missed it but what size egg? I have an xl and while i understand the holes on that grate are larger, I never have these problems... and i do a lot less maintinance...I do a complete clean out after about 1-2 bags of lump...or always before an overnight low and slow
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

Before every cook, I remiove the old charcoal, rinse it in pure rain water I collect in a rain barrel, adjusted for pH due to acid rain, let it dry in the sun, then hand mix 50/50 old and new lump before placing back in the Egg. Works great for me.
    Your kidding right?
    The key is it has to be pure rain water.  Municipal water is worthless, unless you are making pizza dough with NYC water.  Thats the biggest secret to great NYC pizza.  I have my son bring me a few gallons of NYC water every time he comes home to visit just to use for pizza dough.  Just make sure you adjust the pH of the rain water.  Acid rain will really screw it up. 
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tjcoley said:

Your kidding right?
    The key is it has to be pure rain water.  Municipal water is worthless, unless you are making pizza dough with NYC water.  Thats the biggest secret to great NYC pizza.  I have my son bring me a few gallons of NYC water every time he comes home to visit just to use for pizza dough.  Just make sure you adjust the pH of the rain water.  Acid rain will really screw it up. 
    Oh the irony of living in New England, Quebec and Ontario. The acid rain is killing all the birch and maple trees making the area a lump charcoal production Nirvana, but you can't burn it there. The ground water is way too hard and the rain water is way too acid to effectively clean second burn lump. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    edited March 2014
    Tjcoley said:

Your kidding right?
    What is the optimal temperature of the pH adjusted rain water? I don't want to screw up my used charcoal with too cold or too hot water. Thanks in advance.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Tjcoley
    Optimal rain water temp is between 32F and 212F. Otherwise you don't get good penetration into the lump. Sort of like soaking wood chips.
    If you are Canadian, that's between 0 and 100C. Make sure you calibrate your temp probe.
    Romain Posts: 52
    Tjcoley said:
    Optimal rain water temp is between 32F and 212F. Otherwise you don't get good penetration into the lump. Sort of like soaking wood chips.

Since boiling water can not go above your 212 range...can I take a large pot and boil water and then carefully place my lump in the water and let it boil for a few minutes? I was thinking that after a few minutes it should have gotten rid of all those pesky bacteria and whatnot. I try to be very careful about cross-contamination. I was also wondering if rain water is better in certain areas than others. Maybe I could import some non local rain water to northern virginia. Any thoughts???
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I look forward to april 1
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    I have read somewhere, that it is a good idea to boil your lump & dry in the oven before using. This will remove 98% of VOC's, thus allowing your meat to hit the grill sooner. Two tablespoons of hickory salt added to the boiling water will increase smokiness to the lump also.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Romain said:
    Tjcoley said:

Since boiling water can not go above your 212 range...can I take a large pot and boil water and then carefully place my lump in the water and let it boil for a few minutes? I was thinking that after a few minutes it should have gotten rid of all those pesky bacteria and whatnot. I try to be very careful about cross-contamination. I was also wondering if rain water is better in certain areas than others. Maybe I could import some non local rain water to northern virginia. Any thoughts???
    Just make sure it's free range rain water.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Romain said:

Tjcoley said:

Since boiling water can not go above your 212 range...can I take a large pot and boil water and then carefully place my lump in the water and let it boil for a few minutes? I was thinking that after a few minutes it should have gotten rid of all those pesky bacteria and whatnot. I try to be very careful about cross-contamination.

I was also wondering if rain water is better in certain areas than others. Maybe I could import some non local rain water to northern virginia. Any thoughts???

Just make sure it's free range rain water.  

Organic is best.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    You guys crack me up! Hey any idea when we should change gasket fluid?
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    GeorgeS said:
    You guys crack me up! Hey any idea when we should change gasket fluid?
    I change my gasket fluid when I change the muffler oil in my car. I figure since I use the same tools, might as well do it at the same time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker