Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-Max

I know some of you have seen the new Mini-Max.  I am planning to add an egg, and this might be the one.  Any projections on availability date or pricing?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    All reports suggest June. Haven't heard any rumors of price.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The link from BGE's site said June 2014, as grege345 said.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I'm guessing it will be priced between the Small and Medium eggs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Caliking is guessing north of $500...that seems high.

Isn't this between the mini and small? Actually SMALLER then the small.

You may actually be right...but I would just get a joe jr for a second ceramic cooker if that is the case.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I know the XXL was announced a year ago, but other than a few given as gifts - I BELIEVE - to a high volume dealer or two has it been announced when they too will hit the street? Maybe they are waiting to roll both out with a whole new pricing structure - just guessing that's all.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    I don't know about north of $500. I'm thinking of just south or at $500.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Here is the link to the article on BGE site

Just my guess, but I think it will be priced somewhere between the mini and the small.  The Joe Jr is $459 list price, but that includes the carrier/stand and their version of the plate setter. Hopefully BGE will price it competitively. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• grege345
    My local dealer said that the delay with the xxl is because they keep breaking when they try shipping them

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    My speculation - if they price it less than the small, then they will kill the market for the small. If the mini is $400ish, the small is $500, my bet is still that the MiniMax will be $500+.

If they price it between the small and medium, the small still stands a chance, while folks will buy the MiniMax for any number of reasons - complete their collection, eggheads are compulsive shoppers/buyers, portability, etc... pick one. BGE will make people pay for just wanting one!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • My thoughts are that is will be priced in the middle of the small and mini.  Also, in order to not cannibalize their own sales, they will eventually only have the minimax. I think this is a way to streamline their lineup and have less options. 

THIS IS MY OPINION.  I really have NO idea, just speculation. 
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • Eggcelsior
    caliking said:
    My speculation - if they price it less than the small, then they will kill the market for the small. If the mini is $400ish, the small is $500, my bet is still that the MiniMax will be $500+.

If they price it between the small and medium, the small still stands a chance, while folks will buy the MiniMax for any number of reasons - complete their collection, eggheads are compulsive shoppers/buyers, portability, etc... pick one. BGE will make people pay for just wanting one!
    The article talks about how it will add to the family of 6 Eggs, so we will see. Maybe they'll even drop the mini price. I see no reason for someone to get one with the Max available(in terms of portability).
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited March 2014
    .  Also, in order to not cannibalize their own sales, they will eventually only have the minimax. I think this is a way to streamline their lineup and have less options. 

If that happens, then there goes my "lifetime" warranty on my mini egg, when they stop producing and eventually run out of replacement parts  =/

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I am guessing that if this replaced anything it would be the small in that the cooking grate is the same size, but the fire grate is larger.  It looks like it is worth waiting for, unless of course I decide on a medium.

I pinged my dealer but have not heard back yet.  He did however say he was going to start carrying Rockwood charcoal and expected to have some in a couple of weeks.  I will make some noise if and when it happens.  I pushed him to carry it, I was unable to find another retail outlet within 350 miles of here.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    As an owner of both the small and mini, I have no idea which way BGE might go??  The small is more practical, but it's not the cooker temp control wise that the mini is.  If I had to guess I would say the small is gone.  With the small lower vent it's had a history of coming to temp slowly and not being able to go volcanic if you want it to.  It looks like they've addressed that with the MUCH larger fire grate.  I guess we shall see.

As far as not continuing to support a discontinued model, I would be very upset if they pulled that move with their major selling point of a lifetime warranty.  I have to think they are smarter than that with the competition in kamado cookers right now.  If not, there is a Kamado Joe dealer three minutes from my house.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Long low and slow may be a problem on the mini max.  The small did a 15 hour burn couple weeks ago and last night seared the tri tip last nite at close to 700....nope not giving up the small or the mini for the mini max.
    BTW for people with smalls that have problem getting high temps, don't use the platesetter.  Mine snuffs out the fire...one of these days the Dremmel and the plate setter are going to have a come to meeting.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • muskyjohn
    muskyjohn Posts: 17
    I sure hope they don't discontinue the small I want one and haven't gotten around to getting one yet. I am also interested in mini max in addition to a small for portability reasons. Building a sturgeon shack and would buy the MM for these kind of situations.
  • odie91 said:
    .  Also, in order to not cannibalize their own sales, they will eventually only have the minimax. I think this is a way to streamline their lineup and have less options. 

If that happens, then there goes my "lifetime" warranty on my mini egg, when they stop producing and eventually run out of replacement parts  =/

I am guessing that they will still honor the warranty somehow.  They wouldn't just leave you high and dry. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Doubt they will discontinue any. As you can see above they all have their place and they have already paid for the development. People are torn between the 2 all the time so one in between makes sense. KJ beat them to the idea and they are sold out everywhere. I found out yesterday I have to wait a month before the one I ordered a week ago ships.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I am a very big guy .. so I don't usually fuss about moving things around.  But one thing to consider and even for me where this would be moved almost any time I use it .. the Mini is 36lbs .. the KJ is 68lbs and I suspect the mini max will be similar.  That's no walk in the park.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    TonyA said:

I am a very big guy .. so I don't usually fuss about moving things around.  But one thing to consider and even for me where this would be moved almost any time I use it .. the Mini is 36lbs .. the KJ is 68lbs and I suspect the mini max will be similar.  That's no walk in the park.

Big guy here I am also amazed when people tall about moving their small around with ease. The mini is no light weight , at least to me.
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggcelsior
    That's weird. The mini seems small to me. It basically feels like carrying 2 gallons of milk.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    edited March 2014
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Have you ever noticed how much a crock of crap it is when someone says "I hate to say "I told you so""?  They love to say it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited March 2014
    I asked my dealer about the mini max today. I got a dumb look. Huh?
    He did mention that they were going to discontinue a lot of eggcessories.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Any specifics on discontinues?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    I stopped in my dealer today to tell them I wanted the first Mini Max that comes in the door! she said no problem that they would be there in June!

SWEET!!
    Brandon, MS
  • I stopped in my dealer today to tell them I wanted the first Mini Max that comes in the door! she said no problem that they would be there in June!

SWEET!!
    Did they give you a price range on it?
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    I called several dealers in my area and many had not heard of it, one was nice enough to call his distributor and their response wasnt consistent with the June date that is on the website....they suggested late this year or early next year on it being available to the public.   I am still hoping the June date is good, but I am more skeptical at this point.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • grege345
    I'm not waiting till 2015. Ill go buy a kamado jr if that the case

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    At any rate, I have not heard a SINGLE negative about the KJJ.... I am guessing the price wont be any cheaper and it definitely wont include the full line of accessories. I think i am going to drop the hammer and buy the KJ unless any of you have any opposing insight on this matter? I like BGE but understand the KJ to have a better warranty and more accessories
    Beaufort, SC