Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My BOLD confession...I need time ideas for filets

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Believe it or not in the 5 years I've been egging I've grilled many, many steaks, but when it comes to filets I still only do them inside on a skillet. (Guess I get paranoid that at $28 a pound I don't want to screw up!) I then cover them with Bearnaise sauce and serve them with my speciality...nearly perfect ball potatoes that I make using a mellon baller. The potatoes take me a bit of time both in making and then in frying in butter/oil with constant attention to get them browned all over. Anyway I want to try the "reverse T-Rex" approach tomorrow night, but I need suggestions on how long to roast these before the sear at the end. They are each 2.5" thick and each weigh 3/4 pound. Thanks!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    RRP, I would take them to 125 internal with the dome temp of 250. Time wise... well I guess that doesnt matter. Let it rest then get that meat all crusty!!!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ron,[p]if you like doing filets in a skillet, just do em in a skillet on the egg. .. . i actually prefer filets this way as i like the nice char over the entire surface of a filet. ...[p]i put a cast iron skillet in the egg, let it get up to trex temps (800 degrees). . .i rub olive oil, kosher salt and either pepper or dizzy cowlick on the steaks. ...put them in the skillet for 2 minutes per side (for 2 inch thick steaks), then i pull the steaks for the 20 minute rest, and pull the pan out at the same time, then put the steaks back in to dwell direct on the grill at 400 degrees for about 6 minutes per side for medium rare. . . .[p]now, have said all that, i guess you could roast the steaks at 400 degrees for about 6-8 minutes per side (till they hit around 120 degrees internal) . . . pull them out for a few minutes while you open up the vents, stick the cast iron in the egg, and the sear them for about 1 - 2 minutes per side to get your char. ...[p]HTH

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    can you share your potatoe ball recipe?
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 45
    Options
    RRP,[p]my personal favorite steak is filet with cow lick using regular T Rex using an internal thermometer to dial in whatever done-ness the guests want.[p]Woody