Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Summer Vacation

Options
The nice weather here today in the Carolinas got my wife's family talking about our upcoming vacation this summer. They always get a beach house down in Pawley's and we cook every night but one and thats when the group heads to Murrells Inlet for some local seafood. My question is, has anyone ever loaded up their egg to take on vacation. My brother in law is really pushing for us to take it but moving it around so much makes me nervous. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013

Comments

• pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    Options
    Hey SuperCooper, 

I just got back from Pawley's, was there over the weekend. We  go down from the Upstate when we can. I would not try to haul my egg down there, to much could go wrong. Plus half the fun is going out to eat, we hit the PIT while we where there. By the way can you believe Clemson blew that game against Pitt? How do you give up 5 points in a couple of seconds. Hopefully the ACC tourney will go better. 
  • SuperCooper
    Options
    No kidding. I knew as soon as Pitt hit that shot at the buzzer it took the life out of us. Good weekend for baseball though, hopefully we can get back on track. Thats what i thought about the egg. I would hate myself it something happened to it.
    Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I take my mini to my parents place in Cherry Grove. Fun for shrimp and flounder.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

There are several here who travel with an egg.  Usually a mini or a small.  I believe someone traveled with a large a while back.

I'm a blasphemer where this is concerned as I actually enjoy cooking on other grills when I travel, plus I don't have enough money to buy eggs everywhere I go.  As a result I have purchased grills at my parents' house, my in-laws' house and my cousin's beach house that I know will be there when I arrive.  It's not always the grill I want because I am only there one week a year - so I always ask "What grill do you want?" before I purchase. 

For car travel I have a Pro-Q vertical smoker (now sold as Napolean AS300K Apollo) that is a great travel grill.  It has a 20 inch cooking surface and latches together to be picked up by a handle on top and the middle sections come out if I want to downsize (meaning lose the capacity for multiple levels and/or raised cooking). Unfortunately, the price has gone up in the last few years ($349) so getting it for just a week a year is probably not cost-effective.

So, if you want to do relatively fast cooks, you could look into a Weber Smokey Joe Gold as it has a carrying handle and comes in an 18 inch size for just $59.99.  If your brother-in-law really wants you to do some low-and-slow cooks I'm not sure what to tell you - except that maybe a Mini-max Egg might be the answer when it comes out in June. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This year in Seaside the mini and last year in Seaside the Large. One is no more trouble to travel with than the other. Have done the 1600 mile round trip for the past 14 years taking an Egg the last 6 or 7. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    I have taken my LBGE, with me on two trips, one to a cook-off.  I always take my time loading and have one helper.  Take the fire ring and fire box out rap them with a blanket, secure the egg on a blanket. I have a truck so it is a little easier than a car or SUV.
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I want to take my large tailgating this year. I love Cen-Tex wheel idea. I was going to do that to mine. Just makes it easier to move around if I need to.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Guys please get Handlers for your Egg. You will thank me later.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.