Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Oysters for Dinner

Tonight's dinner was by popular demand. Grilled Oysters! My family LOVES these!!! These were MONSTER oysters. There were several that had baby oysters growing on them. They were epci.

Step 1: Shuck
Step 2: Butter
Step 3: Grill
Step 4: Serve
Step 5: Eat

Step 5 is the best step!!

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2014
    So nice. Last week in FL bought a "said to be good" shucking knife and glove to keek me out of the ER. Now to get oysters in the middle of Texas and try to do what you did. Last year in FL bought a box of oysters and what you see in this pic is all we got opened. Rest tossed. Did not have any luck in tossing on grill for auto opening. Do you? image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

Those look great.  However, I have a question.  I'm not a fan of oysters but I end up cooking them about once a year for others. 

The method I have used (read it somwhere on the interwebs a few years ago) said to put them on unshucked at medium heat and when they get hot enough they will open spontaneously.  Then take the flat part of the shell off and add a butter mixture and cook them about 2 more minutes.  Am I overcooking them?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    The damn things would not open for me. Yet several says it works.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Maybe it depends on the oyster.  I've had good success with the Wellfleet (Mass) oysters that my son and a buddy dig up when I cook them a couple of hours later.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    If you let them open on the grill, they're going to lose their liquor.  Get a proper oyster knife and shuck them.
    NOLA
  • Mickey said:
    So nice. Last week in FL bought a "said to be good" shucking knife and glove to keek me out of the ER. Now to get oysters in the middle of Texas and try to do what you did. Last year in FL bought a box of oysters and what you see in this pic is all we got opened. Rest tossed. Did not have any luck in tossing on grill for auto opening. Do you? image
    I shuck my own oysters. I bought a cheap-o oyster knife off Amazon. I've never had an issue. 
  • Foghorn said:

Those look great.  However, I have a question.  I'm not a fan of oysters but I end up cooking them about once a year for others. 

The method I have used (read it somwhere on the interwebs a few years ago) said to put them on unshucked at medium heat and when they get hot enough they will open spontaneously.  Then take the flat part of the shell off and add a butter mixture and cook them about 2 more minutes.  Am I overcooking them?

I would probably say yes. I've heard about this technique, but It sounds like you end up with rubbery oysters. I shuck and grill just until the juice in the shell starts to simmer. Every one of them were spot on. Try this next time. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    A flathead screwdriver will work in a pinch- key is to get under the hinge and twist. We used to do huge oyster roasts in college a couple times a year- after shucking 5-10 bushels you get pretty good at it. We built an outdoor grill about 6 feet long- would lay wet burlap/towels over the grid put oysters on and then more wet burlap on top. It was more of a steaming process than direct grilling. Always a big hit
    Greensboro, NC
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited March 2014
    Foghorn said:

Some of the oysters will pop open, and others will not but they are still good to go!  If they didn't open on their own they will release very easily if you insert a knife at the hinge and twist it (since the muscle that used to hold them closed is now cooked).

I roast oysters several times a year and here is the technique I use...

First, invite a crowd and buy a lot.  Buy a bushel or two!  (or a box if that's how they come).  They're more fun to cook that way.

Put a PILE of oysters on the grill and close it.  If you don't have a grill that closes, put a soaked burlap sack over top of the oysters to keep the heat in.  (soaking is to keep the burlap from burning).  Don't fuss with arranging them unless you only have a dozen.  PILE!  :)  (about 20-40 oysters depending how many your bought and how big your grill is)

When you start to see a lot of steam coming off the grill, that means the lower layer of oyster pile has started to open and are pouring their juice on the fire.  I'll let them go a couple more minutes and then take the lot off.  Here is why...

...after cooking for many years there is one certainty in that no one can agree on how oysters should be cooked.  It is all personal taste.  Some people like them shrivelled up and dry as if they just came out of the steamer (well done), some people like them so full of juice that they are just a raw oyster warmed up (rare), and some people like them in the middle...this is the best, the oyster is fully cooked but you also still have the juice in there.  By cooking in a pile, you get them cooked at various "doneness" levels.

Again, they'll never all open up.  That's normal.  The only thing you want to make sure of is that they are all closed when you put them on the grill.

After cooking, I have a big pile of lemons and cocktail sauce for folks, but my favorite way of serving them is with garlic butter and hot sauce!
    Have a little warm pan of garlic butter on the oyster table.  Open your oyster, spoon on some garlic butter, add a dash of hot sauce and prepare yourself for one of the best low-maintenance flavors you've ever tried.   Wow!

Now I'm hungry.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Nice cook - saved this one - and thanks to @kitertodd for the alternative cooking method.  Looks like you know the craft of grilling oysters.  

Bookmarked . . . assuming I can somehow find fresh oysters in the middle of Ohio?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG said:
    Nice cook - saved this one - and thanks to @kitertodd for the alternative cooking method.  Looks like you know the craft of grilling oysters.  

Bookmarked . . . assuming I can somehow find fresh oysters in the middle of Ohio?
    I'm in Atlanta and found fresh ones. Find a seafood shop or a grocer that has a nice seafood dept. My local grocer has offered to order some for me. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look outstanding!  I have never cooked Oysters at home before.  I always eat some raws when I am at the beach.  Maybe my wife would eat them if they were cooked. 

Silly ?...but do you have to go to a specialty market to find these, or can you find them at any grocery store? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Mickey said:
    The damn things would not open for me. Yet several says it works.

In a pinch you can throw them in the microwave for a short burst, just enough for them to pop, then you can top them with compound butter, parm, whatever else you like and finish on the grill.  I have done this way for those difficult to open, I have also thrown them on whole and waited for them to pop on the grill...both methods work..if you want to avoid cutting yourself with the oyster knife.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • KiterTodd
    Those look outstanding!  I have never cooked Oysters at home before.  I always eat some raws when I am at the beach.  Maybe my wife would eat them if they were cooked. 

Silly ?...but do you have to go to a specialty market to find these, or can you find them at any grocery store? 
    Thanks for the feedback, NDG!

People that don't like oysters because they look like boogers :) will usually eat them roasted if you convince them that they taste good.  The oyster's sweet flavor really comes out well when roasted and they can start by covering them in cocktail sauce.  I have made many people oyster fans (folks who said, "I don't eat those...") by convincing them to try them roasted.

Yes, most grocery stores can order them for you, but I'm not sure how true that is if you're land locked?  Do yourself a favor ask how much a box is.  They may have the box back there or need a week to get them for you but the cost per oyster is usually MUCH cheaper that way.

While I usually go to a seafood market, my local Harris Teeter has them for $35 for a box of 100.  35 cents an oyster!
    My local Wegmans, however, does not give a discount if you buy them in bulk.  If they are $1 each individually, a box of 100 will cost you $100 (they sell as two 50 count boxes). 

Here is one with a little garlic butter and hot sauce (no pile, just a couple dozen for me);

And this mess is a pile of oysters fresh off the grill...late into the night of an oyster roast (thus all the carnage on the table);
    LBGE/Maryland
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I'm involved in oyster restoration on the Chesapeake Bay. I grow my own in cages on the bottom next to my pier. To get them delivered overnight, You Can goggle for two companies I know and trust. Rappahannock river oyster co, and Deltaville oyster co. The latter is less costly.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    JethroVA I went to school right by there, Christchurch. I always enjoyed the Urbanna oyster festival, used to be a placed called Awful Arthur's that was pretty good in Urbanna. I had read about the family starting Rappahannock Osyter co. they were growing oysters off the bottom higher in the water column. Pretty cool stuff. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Bookmarked! Great thread and discussion. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • You guys gave me a great idea I have had my egg for about three weeks now and trying new recipes every day. I don't even like to go out to eat anymore I love cooking on the egg. I love baked oysters and fried oysters I have never had the grilled oysters. Next time I go to Florida I am going to get and brunch of oysters to bring back home at the fish market. About how long does it take to cook?
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251

Thought you guys would like to see my oyster garden.  Pulled them out for their semi-annual power washing and sorting. Piankatank River, Cobbs Creek, VA.

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @BigGreenCraig‌dotcom
    Wow!!! I have been trying to replicate Dragos grilled oysters for quiet some time but haven't got it down yet. Yours look great my friend. Going to give them a try for sure. Again that looks outstanding.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    JethroVA said:

Thought you guys would like to see my oyster garden.  Pulled them out for their semi-annual power washing and sorting. Piankatank River, Cobbs Creek, VA.

Jethro, that's awesome!  Where do you get the spat to get that started?
    Does your water salinity change much over the year so that you can harvest them, in saltier times?

Ahhh...I have so many questions.  That looks awesome, though!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited June 2014
    @jethroVA . . . that is very cool picture of your harvest.  I have never hear the term "oyster garden" but I love it.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    shuck them before you put them on the grill for crissakes.
    edited June 2014
    shuck them before you put them on the grill for crissakes.
    What?  It's two completely different ways of enjoying them.  Both are good, both are unique...

A shucked oyster on the halfshell is a presentation all it's own.  It's labor intensive on the cook, but you are going for something unique.  Everybody probably only gets to eat a couple, but they are enjoyed and decadent depending on your toppings.

Buying a bushel and putting them on by the shovel full is a party!!!
    It's no different than steaming clams or mussels but the taste is better and the experience is a blast.
    Much like a crab feast, everyone gets involved.  Easily opening their own roasted oyster and topping them how they see fit. It's a lot of fun that your guests will remember for a long time.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    You guys......actually cook oysters? :P
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have seen them shovel oysters on the grill in Texas, but I've not seen anyone do that here in NOLA, and we love our oysters.  Besides, on a charcoal grill the liquor leaks out all over the place and puts out the charcoal and you get some nasty smelling steam.  Anyway, you'd probably get beat up if you did that here.  Plus, if you're looking for smoke flavor, you get more when they're open, and when they're opened, the muscle can be cut so they're easier to eat.

I don't think there's anything wrong with throwing them on whole (use a drip pan), it just ain't my bag. 
    I agree with @nolaegghead - you don't want to lose the oyster liquor.  They are easy enough to shuck cold.

And @SGH, an easy version of Drago's oysters is 1/2 margarine/ 1/2 butter, (lots of) garlic, Italian seasoning, black pepper and parmesan.  Mix it all up and put a dollop of it on a shucked oyster on a hot direct grill.  Cook to taste (usually til it's sizzling).  Put a bit more cheese on at the end and you're good to go.

The Acme receipe above looks really good, but as long as you have butter, garlic and cheese, you really can't go wrong.
    NOLA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @buzd504‌
    Thank you brother. Going to give your recipe a try for sure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    edited June 2014

I have seen them shovel oysters on the grill in Texas, but I've not seen anyone do that here in NOLA, and we love our oysters.  ...
    I don't think there's anything wrong with throwing them on whole..., it just ain't my bag. 
    HA!  Yup, to each his own.
    It's a big thing in NC, VA, MD, etc...  
    Nice thing about an oyster roast party is there is a big pile of oysters sitting next to the grill that folks can shuck as they please.  Most of the oyster fans do their share and enjoy them.  BUT, the masses flock to the roasted variety.  You buy in bulk and get the full array of cooked examples.  Some closed up tight and hot with plenty of liquid, some just cracked but still moist and plump, and some well done (Which are usually in-demand! for folks new to the oyster...I let them have them. ;)

I know I'm not winning you over, but trust me, it's a good time.  And when somebody asks to crack them and roast them open face with their toppings of choice, I never turn 'em down. )    It's all about gluttony!  Oyster gluttony.
    LBGE/Maryland