Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feet or no feet..... that is the question.

Options
So I looked at a lot of other peoples tables while researching to build my Egg home. I saw many eggs directly on a piece of slate or tile of some kind and decided to do the same with mine. It's rests on landscaping stone that is nice and level. When I posted in the table section I recieved lots of positive feed back but a lot of people said that I should put my egg in a table nest and I'm not sure why. I also thought about using the egg feet if I really need to get it up off the stone but BGE doesn't make them any more, why? I feel like it gets better support if the whole bottom of the egg is resting on something. Please give me some input so I can figure if I need to change this up.

photo 1b95f69e435cd383935c8a3096c84bc8_zps23fd5851.jpg
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• Rockosteel
    Options
    Are you planning on cleaning it out with a wet/dry vac? The lip in front of your lower vent looks as if clean out will be an issue - might be a reason for use of a nest
    Charlotte, nc
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I wouldn't change anything it's resting on stone which will not catch on fire.  The only other reason I could think of would be to get an air circulation in there and doesn't seem to be any need for that.  My opinion is leave it. 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited March 2014
    Options

Are you planning on cleaning it out with a wet/dry vac? The lip in front of your lower vent looks as if clean out will be an issue - might be a reason for use of a nest

That piece is temporary. I sealed the cracks of the stone with polymer sand and I haven't built the face frame yet. I needed something to keep the sand in place.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Air gap is your friend, the heat from your egg that is in direct contact will transfer to the stone, it can the transfer from the stone to surrounding wood. Some cooks are long ,I think it better to be safe than sorry !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I may be completely wrong but I would think it would take a very long time at a very hot temp for the stone to combust the wood.
  • GeorgeS
    Options

Air gap is your friend, the heat from your egg that is in direct contact will transfer to the stone, it can the transfer from the stone to surrounding wood. Some cooks are long ,I think it better to be safe than sorry !

I will have to do an experimental burn I think and check the wood
    Under the stone after a really long burn. The stone is a little over 2" thick.

Does anyone know why BGE stopped making the feet? There are some other people making them. Are there any support issues with using the feet? There wouldn't be any support for the bottom of the egg if I used those.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I use a nest but FWIW I am in the air-gap camp.  You may not see the heat effects in the short-term but over time the wood will dry out and either the BGE loses the fight to gravity or a slow smoldering fire will start.  
    WRT feet-BGE went to some sort of stand to support the BGE in lieu of the feet.  Ditch the feet and charge for the stand-more $$ for corporate-just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I think @centex - his table caught on fire with a stone underneath. I would at a minimum use the egg feet- I would lean towards the little nest lifters. Not worth burning down the house.
    Greensboro, NC
  • GeorgeS
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Lousubcap are you saying the feet are ok they just found the table nest more profitable? I don't really want to raise the egg any as it's at the perfect height for me. The feet would be the better option for me if I need to make a change as long as it doesn't create an issue with support for the bottom of the egg.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I wonder if the lack of support for the center of the Egg is the reason they went away from the feet and to the table nest. Just a theory, but perhaps they had issues with the base failing and it was because of lack of support for the center.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @GeorgeS-the feet did fine for the history of the BGE until around two years ago, so I'm guessing they will do fine now.  Hopefully some who use the feet for their BGE table setup will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Here's a read about the effects on heat transferred from the Egg through a paver to the wood below: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm

Feet were never intended for XL Eggs. BGE did not provide them for XLs. I recall reading something about too much unsupported area potentially leading to damage to the Egg bottom.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    DMW said:
    I wonder if the lack of support for the center of the Egg is the reason they went away from the feet and to the table nest. Just a theory, but perhaps they had issues with the base failing and it was because of lack of support for the center.
    Don't think the issue with feet was lack of support in the center of the egg, the table best really only supports on the four contact points. Like many here, air gap is your friend. I'd get a gap in there - not today, but maybe next year. The table nest makes it ideal to rake ash out, a standard foil pan will slide right under. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did the table nest over ceramic tiles. You should be fine temp wise though, especially if your stone is 2" thick.  

Clean out can be an issue though as @skiddymarker said.  Though I can easily get the pan in on mine, I usually remove the grate and clean out with a dustpan.  To my way of thinking the ash tool is a pain in the A**
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    I haven't had any issues with ash clean out. I use my fireplace shovel and it fits right through the hole. I might just turn my nest into a table nest. Maybe I could just cut off the legs. I was going to use like 6 of the large terra cotta pot feet. So does the table nest give more base support than the feet would?
  • Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    Options
    FWIW - My XL in the nest, contacts only on the leg contact points. The center support does not contact the center of the egg.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • GeorgeS
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Duranhler said:

FWIW - My XL in the nest, contacts only on the leg contact points. The center support does not contact the center of the egg.

Just checked and verified the same thing. The egg only rests on about 1-1/2" of the nest frame. There is no contact in the middle of the nest so I see no reason why I couldn't use the terra cotta pot rests I was planning to use.

photo CD595DB3-7EC5-4CDA-BB43-2DF0D0E479EF_zps2xak7hlf.jpg

photo 9A7421F0-D6A8-4810-ACE1-42B0A646B868_zpsombxeodu.jpg

photo 1FEEBBF2-07FA-4D9F-A01B-E65AA3FA7939_zpsablun3la.jpg

photo 70516594-A98D-4789-AC33-E43CC96FF0F0_zpsi7pgfcrx.jpg
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I would recommend the use of the nest or the feet if you still have them.  I don't think there is a need to support from the center, in fact supporting in just the center would be more likely to cause the egg to crack, the weight of the egg is transferred to the outer edges of the bottom, not the center unless that is the only point of contact.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Stone conducts heat. I've seen post here of the wood underneath scorched.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    mimauler said:
    I may be completely wrong but I would think it would take a very long time at a very hot temp for the stone to combust the wood.
    Do you really want to take the chance ? There have been posts in the past of burnt tables , most of which sit close to their home.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I had a piece of tile under my XL and after about 10 cooks I heard a loud POP.. Well, the tile cracked in about 4 pieces from the heat. After that, I spent the $25 and got the nest for her. Life is much better with airflow under the BGE.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    I installed six of these under the egg today. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Not sure what the size of the feet are, but the surface area of the nest that comes in contact with the bottom of the egg looks to be much greater. That bigger area will better distribute the pressure.
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    HDmstng said:

Not sure what the size of the feet are, but the surface area of the nest that comes in contact with the bottom of the egg looks to be much greater. That bigger area will better distribute the pressure.

Check up a little on the post. I put up a picture of the nest base. The egg is only in contact with the nest in four spots and it's a little over 1" x 1-1/2" at each spot. The pot feet are 1" x 1-3/4". They are actually about a 1/4" longer. I also used 6 of them which should give me better support than the nest.
  • Tigers34
    Tigers34 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am resting my large egg on top of 3 fire bricks that sit on top of a stone paver.  It seems to allow good air flow. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014
    Options
    George, I would be at least as concerned about the wood surrounding the egg as about the underside. Eggs get very hot - especially in an enclosed space. Yours appears to be on a deck which I assume is attached to your house. Sure would be a shame...

I used to have mine on a small wood deck attached to my house. After seeing a few photos of what can happen, I moved it to a patio (pavers on the ground). For example...

Lit's table

LS's house

Poolman's table

Fish's table (2" thick)

lowercase bill's mini

And then there's the roof (pic from a post by Hotrodden)

Not trying to be an alarmist, though I guess it seems that way. Just want folks to think about this stuff! Ask Steve how much fun he had with his insurance company.  

Be safe!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GeorgeS
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I installed some feet yesterday. I am definitely not looking to talk with the insurance man any time soon. Those are very scary pictures! The fire stack is pretty crazy!! How hot was the grill pumping I wonder? I also had the grill up at 550-600 two weeks ago for about 2.5 hours cooking pizza and dogs. I checked both the wood walls and the ceiling and nothing was hot enough to be concerned about. The walls weren't even warm, the ceiling was warm but not hot at all.