Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday Egging - Surf N' Turf - Brisket and Mahi (Pic Heavy)

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
First of all, thanks @cazzy for the input on the brisket. This was a weird one, the advice was much appreciated.

Got 1/2 steer last fall from my BIL who raises a few male Holsteins for butchering each year for friends/family. I spoke with the butcher and told him I wanted the whole packer together, point and flat. When I got the meat home I was pretty disappointed. The brisket was 4 lb 3 oz, I was sure it was just the flat and the butcher had ignored me and ground the point. I figured I'd give it a go anyway, thawed it this week and was surprised to find a mini-brisky, point included.

It was still much smaller than I would ever choose at the store, but very floppy.

Got the egg started around 5 Sat morning, brisket was on by 6. The warmer weather here in PA and the retreating snow and I got the fire pit started for some ambiance:

Here's the brisket again, bark was starting to form nicely, I foiled it just after this:

Back in the house, there was dough rising I started last night. After a visit to the big clock, here's what resulted:

Brisket wasn't quite done, but needed the real estate of the XL, so the Small was stated and brisket (easy fit on Small now) was moved over to make room for some cauliflower heads. One was seasoned with Salt/Pepper, one with DP Raging River, and the last with DP Pineapple Head.

Brisket was off and resting, so a basket of veggies found the small:
And after marinating some Mahi-Mahi in Teriyaki/Soy/Fresh Ginger for 30 minutes, those went on, flesh side down first, then flipped. Along with some asparagus seasoned with OO/S&P.

Now that everything was done, moment of truth, how did the brisket turn out? It was decent, bark was OK, texture of the flat was good but not great. Point was super moist and juicy, but there wasn't much of it. It worked, but not my first choice on size for sure.

Had some friends over and I got great compliments on everything. I really liked the Mahi-Mahi as well.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments