Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picking up seafood - is it really that hard?

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
OK, I don't let the Mrs. pick out any steak, or actually most meats.  Never know what she will bring home.  I thought I was safe today, asking her to pick up some bacon wrapped scallops and some shrimp.  The scallops are already prepared at Wegmans, so no issue there.  Asked her to get a pound of 16 - 20 shrimp to go with the scallops.
As I go out to light up the Egg, she happens to mention the shrimp are still frozen - solid.  Would have been nice to know earlier, but shrimp thaw pretty quick in a bowl of cold water.  The shrimp were 21-25/pound, so smaller than I was looking for, and they were not the easy peel, deveined which she knows I always get for ease of cleaning.  Prep time doubled, but they still turned out fine.
From now on, I'll probably pick up anything I want to cook on the Egg. 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Way to power through.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    This made me laugh. Sounds very familiar.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I get the wild caught domestic shrimp at Wegmans. There from North Carolina and are already deveined. Easy peezy.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Get THIS I used one when I cut fish for a living. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    ...and save the shells as they make a rich stock.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Tjcoley
    Get THIS I used one when I cut fish for a living. 

There are a dozen of them somewhere in the house from our family reunion, but couldn't locate one.
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    Lesson learned.
    Trust no one to purchase what you want to cook. [-X
    Not even ground beef, cause they'd get that wrong too. L-)

Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • Tjcoley
    Duranhler said:
    Lesson learned.
    Trust no one to purchase what you want to cook. [-X
    Not even ground beef, cause they'd get that wrong too. L-)

Last time she picked up ground beef for burgers it was 95/5. Driest burger ever.
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I buy all the proteins that I cook,  and she buys all the proteins that she cooks.  Keeps us both sane. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    I accidentally ruined two loads of laundry in one day. SWMBO never asked me to do laundry again!
    Just saying.......
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    "accidentally"??????????
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    All's well. that ends well, and it looks really good!   I like to get the bigger shrimp as well.  After grilling they shrink up a bit and look pretty puny.   I like the "Extra Jumbo" size which I believe is the 16/20 count.  If they don't have those I go colossal.   

My wife is a pro at shopping, so I can usually trust her to pick up the proteins.   Unfortunately Kohls is right next to BJ's where we often get meat...so a bag of shrimp and a few steaks ends up costing me $400.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i peel small shrimp, but honestly dont devein the small ones, not much point to it
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I guess I'm pretty lucky. Mrs. G can shop and pick out pretty good protein.

I've wondered about those bacon wrapped scallops. The bacon cooks in time before the scallops turn rubbery?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    i peel small shrimp, but honestly dont devein the small ones, not much point to it
    :D
    I only get deveined on account of others. Personally? I couldn't care less as I prefer shrimp steamed with beer and old bay on a pile of newspaper.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Griffin said:

I guess I'm pretty lucky. Mrs. G can shop and pick out pretty good protein.

I've wondered about those bacon wrapped scallops. The bacon cooks in time before the scallops turn rubbery?

No way. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Tjcoley
    I'd prefer a pan seared, about a minute or so a side scallop.  For the bacon wrapped, I did them in the foil for about 3 minutes or so till the shrimp was about done, then went direct to crisp up the bacon.  Not that bad.
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I thought you were going to say they were cooked shrimp. Could always have been worse.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I do 95% of the grocery shopping alone.  Whenever my wife comes, it takes >twice as long, she buys stuff that then she never gets around to preparing so it gets thrown out, and she's prone to buy more than we have room for despite my telling her we don't have the room.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• I have an old pizza stone I melt butter and olive  oil on to cook shrimp and scallops. It works fantastic. Also have coated shrimp in chopped basil, thyme,oregano, rosemary, kosher salt, dijon mustard, pepper, garlic and olive oil paste. Use immersion blender to chop it all and slather like paste.