Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Short ribs question

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking of trying the APL short rib recipe this weekend.  I know the ever elusive "plate short ribs" are hard to come by...but I got to thinking. 

I normally see shawt ribs such as these:
...is it possible these are plate short ribs, just cut into smaller pieces?   The APL recipe has you cut the ribs into small slices in the end anyway...so I'm thinking I might just give those a try.  I can pick up a big pack of em at BJ's for a reasonable price. 

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Those should work. I would think your cook time would be reduced a bit. Just saw this posted today: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183266 and they look good to me.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    those are exactly "plate" ribs cut short. They are just chuck ribs. Here is the trick for beef ribs: if the meat is on top of the bone like these......good.

if the meat is in between the bones like a pork rib (these are the ribs that come from ribeyes etc) ....bad. 

cook low and slow or braise and enjoy

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks all!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    those are exactly "plate" ribs cut short. They are just chuck ribs. Here is the trick for beef ribs: if the meat is on top of the bone like these......good.

I'm confused.  Aren't Plate Ribs and Chuck Short ribs 2 different cuts of meat?  I know that Restaurant Depot has them both. They look very similar, but the Plate Ribs are a 3 bone rib and the chuck ribs are 4 bone ribs. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Could be but they are pretty much interchangeable. I always get the 4 bone and my butcher at the fancy market insist they are plate ribs. I always ask for chuck ribs and they say "we don't have those- we have plate ribs and short ribs". It wears me out.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Shiff
    Options
    This web site has a good explanation of the differences between Plate Robs and Chuck Ribs.

http://www.chefs-resources.com/Beef-Short-Ribs

The article mentions that Chuck Ribs are more expensive but I have found just the opposite - the Plate Ribs cost more and are generally meatier ribs.  They are easier to cook and the meat tastes better to me. 

Restaurant Depot carries both and the Plate RIbs were $5.99/lb when I was last there and the Chuck RIbs were $3.99/lb.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I've never heard of Chuck or Plate ribs.  I've always heard of Short ribs which are the flat rib bone with the meat on one side of the bone and they always are cut into short ~ 3 inch lengths.  The other Beef rib is the Beef Spare Rib which is 7 or 8 inches long, and while not perfectly round, it is a rounder bone than the flat bone and these ribs have the most of the meat between the bones.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Shiff
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I've never heard of Chuck or Plate ribs.  I've always heard of Short ribs which are the flat rib bone with the meat on one side of the bone and they always are cut into short ~ 3 inch lengths.  The other Beef rib is the Beef Spare Rib which is 7 or 8 inches long, and while not perfectly round, it is a rounder bone than the flat bone and these ribs have the most of the meat between the bones.
    I'd never heard of Plate RIbs until a month or so ago when  there were a number of discussions about them here on this forum.  Read the article I mentioned in my last post and it will describe the differences including which part of the cow they are from.  The short ribs you mention are almost always chuck short ribs that have been cut.  You can also get them uncut and they will cook up similarly to the Plate RIbs.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA