Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Another Good Meatloaf

ButcherButcher Posts: 15
edited 9:39PM in EggHead Forum
I am about to use the Another Good Meatloaf recipe from the submitted recipes file and am wondering if I should use a drip pan under the rack or do I not have to worry about flare-ups. Can any of the Eggsperts offer your eggscellent advive thanks, Butcher
·

Comments

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    MxMeatloaf02032000.jpg
    <p />Butcher, I haven't made the "Another Good Meatloaf" recipe, but the last time I did Mexican meatloaf, I did it at about 375 degrees for about 1.5 hours to an internal temp of 160 degrees. I use a drip pan (sitting on 2 firebricks) and foil raised on 3 sides under the meatloaf. [p]The "Another Good Meatloaf" recipe sounds like something I'll be trying. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
    ·
  • ButcherButcher Posts: 15
    Gfw,I don't have the fire bricks yet because I am still pretty much a newbie, I feel honored to be answered by one of the guru's such as yourself. Will a pizza stone get me the same results as the fire bricks?
    Thanks, Butcher

·
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Butcher, I' would love to say yes - but I have never used a pizza stone for other than pizza... I guess I've just always used fire bricks. The object is the temperature and the pizza stone under the drip pan should work perfectly well to produce an great indirect cook - works for pizza, should work for meatloaf. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Life with the BGE is fun!

·
  • Lee2Lee2 Posts: 38
    Butcher,
    Each time I have made that particular recipe I have cooked it in one of those disposable aluminum pans. I have put the pan directly on the grid and baked/Egged the loaf at 350°. I've always used lean beef and lean whole hog sausage, so grease in the bottom of the pan was not a major problem. I"m sure GFW's method would work very well also. Hope you like the meatloaf.

·
  • SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Butcher,[p]A pizza stone will work fine. The firebricks are needed when cooking at temps higher than 350F.[p]Spin

·