Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked egg

Options
Gah! Was firing up the egg tonight for some pizzas and saw some smoke curling up from underneath the egg. Turns out there was a crack running from the center of the bottom all the way to the intake vent. So irritating.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Take pictures and contact your local dealer as well as send them to BGE, they'll get it replaced quickly... one of the benefits of owning an egg, the lifetime warranty and their customer service
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Mine recently cracked. I reported it to my dealer and a new  one was ordered.  When we  installed it, we discovered that the new base was smaller in diameter than the old one.  When the bottom band was tightened, the ends touched, so the bolt could not be 'bent'.  BGE was very surprised, but is sending another to my dealer.

So, getting a new one is easy, just be aware that there may be more of these undersized bases out there.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    My pops' egg cracked and he was all bummed thinking his egging days were over.  I was like "dad, your egg has a life time warranty, go get a new one."  He didn't believe me.  The dealer gave him a hard time and fought him on it trying to tell him it was his fault (I told him if they wouldn't replace it to call BGE directly) but he finally got a new base last week.  When disassembling, he found out his fire box was also broken.  He got that replaced too.  He couldn't believe it and I was all "dad, that's why it costs so much money, the warranty pays for itself."  Now I really wish I would have bought new instead of used but so far mine has been fine.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Recently went through this, and they replaced it without a hitch.  Only bummer was they required me to send them a pic of the broken up base.  I would have liked to use it as a planter for some peri peri pepper plants.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    I need to call the store this morning which I'm kind of dreading. They ripped me off and have bad customer service.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    biznork said:

I need to call the store this morning which I'm kind of dreading. They ripped me off and have bad customer service.

The individual store you bought your egg from might have poor customer service, but the mothership has excellent customer service. Do not worry.