Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish On The Egg, Need Help.

Options
I have never cared for fish, actually hated it all my life. 
I have started juicing which has allowed me to eat and enjoy healthier foods and want to try fish again now that my taste buds have changed. 
What fish can I try that is not too "fishy tasting"
How would you recommend cooking it. 
Thanks
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    In general, extremely fresh saltwater fish (but stay away from Mackerel) are not "fishy" smelling.  If you're cooking on the grate, you want a meatier fish that doesn't disintegrate.  Try redfish, red snapper, blue fish, sea bass, grouper, halibut, swordfish, salmon, steelhead trout or amberjack.
    Options
    I'm not a big fish eater but recently I've been grilling yellowfin tuna. Seared 1 minute each side at 600 degrees which leaves it rare. Never thought I'd say it but the piece I had last night I'd prefer over most steaks 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I brought this up not too long ago, as I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as you. Here is a link to my thread in which a lot of people responded. Good luck!

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    In general, extremely fresh saltwater fish (but stay away from Mackerel) are not "fishy" smelling.  If you're cooking on the grate, you want a meatier fish that doesn't disintegrate.  Try redfish, red snapper, blue fish, sea bass, grouper, halibut, swordfish, salmon, steelhead trout or amberjack.
    Most people would not include bluefish on that list.  And (as I menioned on the linked thread above) mahi is a great choice for the non-fish eater.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You probably get pickerel/walleye where you are. It is very mild and sweetish. You can grill on the skin, plank or en-papillote. Perch are good too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Mahi-Mahi on the menu here for tomorrow night.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Most people would not include bluefish on that list.  And (as I menioned on the linked thread above) mahi is a great choice for the non-fish eater.
    Yeah, it can be a bit fishy, and it can fall apart.  I used to cook it back in the restaurant days, don't think I've had it since. I remember I really liked blue fish, I just never see it anywhere in the NOLA area...it's an east coast fish that likes to bite swimmers, if I recall. 

I actually like fishy fish....the mackerel sushi is one of my favorites.  Most people hate it.  And I like anchovies in lots of dishes.
    Options
    I catch some bluefish every summer off of Cape Cod.  They tend to school with the stripers so you catch a mix of the two. Both humans and seals tend to prefer the stripers.   When the seal population is high then the striper population goes down and you tend to pull in a lot of bluefish.  Those aren't the good years.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    haha maybe you need to start off by catching seals.  Stripers, we call them striped bass here, are one of my favorites.
    Options
    Stripe..soak in ice water and drain and do again, again till the blood is gone. Thumb the blood line out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    trick with tuna - never rinse them off in fresh water.  You can use sea water if necessary, but fresh water turns the meat into mush.
    Options
    We really enjoy salmon on the Egg cooked on a cedar plank.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Fish steaks will probably stay together better on a grill. Check out Cod, Halibut, Yellowtail, Swordfish...and cut the steaks at least one and one half inch thick.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    My wife is in the same boat as the OP.  Truly fresh salmon is wonderful for someone who doesn't like fishy fish, but once it is a few days old forget it.  Stay away from swordfish.  I love the stuff, but it is a bit stronger.  I agree with the others who said mahi mahi as well.  Perch is a great freshwater option.  But in my experience, most people who say they don't like fish haven't had good, truly fresh fish.  There is a world of difference.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    You may want to think about blackening some fish on the Egg in an iron skillet.  Did some Mahi the other night with some corn and rice sides.  I also like blackened grouper.  I grew up in Fla and snapper and grouper (very mild) are my first choice regardless of how you prepare them. I smoked some Spanish mackerel last month and it was pretty good - Would have preferred sailfish or marlin but can't get it here in Atlanta that I know of.  I am not a salmon guy but the wife and daughter like it on a cedar plank as long as the salmon is of good quality.
    Milton, GA.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Halibut or do a blackened flounder. Blue fish is good cooked the same day caught- much past that first day better use it as bait. It's a very oily fish so can be stronger- wouldn't recommend for people who don't really like fish.
    Greensboro, NC
  • porta
    porta Posts: 88
    Options
    Blackening fish is a great "foot in the door" method. Think of it as a gateway cook.  
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I do cod or haddock. Nice, thick flaky white fish with a mild taste.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE