Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest Question for Seasoned Eggers - Morality...

Greetings all!!

Im having a little moral issue here, and wanted to run it by this group.

My team and I have entered an EggFest every year for the last four years locally here. Our first year, we were completely green, in fact I had never even cooked on an egg. We had great food, but not enough of it and did not place. The second year, we came back hard, served some great food, and came in second behind a guy that had placed an inverted whole hog into a large egg (It was pretty cool to see, and I didnt mind placing behind something so different). However, this drove us even harder.

The third year and last year, we came back with what we thought was 5-star food, and lots of it.We dressed up, decorated our space, had props, and really tried to connect with the people and show them how much fun we were having BBQ'ing. We won!! Both years, first place. We got excellent reviews on our food, handed out lots of recipes, received tons of comments, and even had a few patrons that said they returned each year in hopes that we would be there with some new stuff to try.

This years EggFest is coming up soon, and our team has been asked to remove our "star" from the team due to others in the competition complaining that its not fair we are doing so well, and that others will not enter unless they know he is not cooking. Although he has been the face of the team, we all have some pretty incredible skill sets on the egg, and can function without him. But this event is a time for us to get together and have a blast in a fun environment with other local competitors. I'm torn on if we should do it at all.

I am good friends with the owner of the shop, and I want to see his business and event do better and get bigger each and every year.He has told me don't worry and enter, but I just don't know. Our hope was that others would follow our progress, step it up each year to beat the first place guys and really make a good competition. But it seems that is not the case.

Anyway, not sure if I'm ranting or looking for advice or thoughts from the community. Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    Seems to me you are a team & should continue as a team. Your competitors should realize that & step up their game or find their own "ringer".
    Winning the competition is fun, but entering, cooking the best you can, enjoying the competition & learning, must be satisfying, even if you come in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or last!
    Go for it & have fun. This isn't 6 year old kids playing T-Ball where the score isn't kept & everyone wins!!
    By the way.... where & when is this Eggfest??
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • That's true Duranhler. It is next weekend in Tempe, at BBQ Island. It is always a great time. Make sure to come and check it out!!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited March 2014

I am what I would consider a novice cook. The egg raised my cooking level dramitcally, to where I was not embarrased to cook for friends, and have cooked for fun at Eggfests, I am not a competitor. I have been to a few Eggfests, Oklahoma City, Denver, Austin and Salado. While some of them had competitions, they never seemed to run the entire eggfests. The Eggfests always seemed to me to be more about a friendly spirit of sharing food and recipes.

I have been around some friendly competitions such as fishing tournaments where after three wins, a competitor was officially retired from competition and asked to serve in some other capacity, judge or some such role. I can see why some friendly competitions would go that route. I was involved in one tournament that started off friendly until people started bringing "ringers" as partners. They weren't exaclty semi-pros, but it changed the tournament. If your 'star" makes his living as a chef, I could see people wanting him to step down, professionals should compete against professinals. If he is not, haters are gonna hate, and I would keep doing what you are doing. Or maybe the organizers retire the teams apron after 3 wins and you all can teach classes or be judges.

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    WTF?? They want to handicap your team? That's a bunch of crap. My own opinion would be to not enter if your full team cannot participate. That is provided that you like your teammate enough to stick up for him.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I heard that the NBA was going to ask Lebron to sit out the finals this year, just to make it more fair for the Pacers.

What a joke. Whomever whined about that should be ashamed.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Thanks for the input ibanda. He not chef by trade, none of us are. We are all backyard hooligans that love to cook, and understand good food. We have been BBQing long before the egg, but that gave us a whole new realm of possibilities.

The idea of retirement is a good one. But the organizers are so nice, they don't want to tell us to not enter. It may be self retirement!! :-)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'd split up into two teams and win 1st and 2nd.  If it's an amateur competition and you're all amateurs, may the best judged food win.
    Tell the other teams to kiss it!  Not on the left side and not on the right side, but right down the middle.  That's like inviting Jack's Old South to a competition and then telling them Myron can't cook.  WTF??

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Dear Chicago Bulls:

Please don't play MJ in the playoffs. It's not fair.

Sincerely

1990's
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Go with the whole team...anyone who doesn't want to compete because your group is rolling large should stay home...ridiculous for anyone to expect that of you...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Make him drink an extra 12 pack (24, if it's PBR) before starting.  That's a fair handicap.
    NOLA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Hell...that's when I do my best work.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hell, I learned to cook inebriated.  Sobriety would be a handicap for me.
    buzd504 said:
    Make him drink an extra 12 pack (24, if it's PBR) before starting.  That's a fair handicap.

12 good beers is a treat.  24 PBRs is a sentence.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    edited March 2014
    You could always split the team up and take home first and second place.  That will really get them fired up :))
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Bring a couple of fifths of Crown Royal and call that the handicap. And bring a third for any poor sports that can't hang with the Big Eggs. Competitions aren't set up for a handicap but, what the hey.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Another option in a "just for fun" competition would be to go in as a demonstration only group and not compete for the honors.  If your group is there for the comradery that should be enough to show the rest what truly having fun is all about.  If not, burn 'em to the ground, you are there for blood!
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • EGGATL
    EGGATL Posts: 23
    Why not change your costumes and have the team show up with one hand tied behind your back?
    Atlanta, Georgia area
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I'm a little confused. Is this the Iron Chef at Tempe. Never heard of an eggfest  comp except the Iron Chef ones.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Hell, I learned to cook inebriated.  Sobriety would be a handicap for me.

No doubt, hence the emphasis on extra.  It should be enough to throw him off of his standard buzz, but perhaps not incapacitate him, and perhaps motivate him.
    NOLA
  • Maybe as the reigning champs, your team could split up. Each of you could adopt a team and mentor them on presentation, decorations, etc.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I say to hell with all the small people enter with your whole team give them hell and gave a great time enjoy the time with your team and go for the gold
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I say to hell with all the small people enter with your whole team give them hell and gave a great time enjoy the time with your team and go for the gold
    This was a given. 

2 pit bulls, 100% Sicilian and F- em all, let God sort 'em out at the eggfest :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    It's just food for Christ sake; being prepared in whats supposed to be an enjoyable way to pass the time...

Tell em' to shut the hell up and just compete... if they don't like it, they can go find another BBQ event where they have a better chance of placing.

The only way they are going to get better is to be told they suck...
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 8,237
    I'd split up into two teams and win 1st and 2nd.  If it's an amateur competition and you're all amateurs, may the best judged food win.

Listen to this guy
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Discuss it with your teammates. See if you come to a census and go with your conscience as a team. Sad to think a good time for all can be messed up by a few that are seemingly jealous. I don't understand why people want challenge themselves to rise up and try to win. I appreciate your attitude that is trying to be gracious to the other competitors ad the event.Do what your tem thinks is the right thing to do,
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Discuss it with your teammates. See if you come to a census and go with your conscience as a team. Sad to think a good time for all can be messed up by a few that are seemingly jealous. I don't understand why people want challenge themselves to rise up and try to win. I appreciate your attitude that is trying to be gracious to the other competitors ad the event.Do what your tem thinks is the right thing to do,

This. 

Your team conscience may tell you to ignore the "few that are seemingly jealous" and just go do what you always do - maybe while going out of your way to be gracious to the other competitors.

Two phrases come to mind:

Kill them with kindness

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    None of us have any experience. There is another site you can go to for real expertise

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558

Go with the whole team.  What I am looking for at these affairs is to learn how to improve my skills.  I learn the most when the cooks are the best.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Dude- I get it. If you want me off the team I'll quit. We said from the beginning that it's all about making the others feel equal but it's obvious I have dragged the team far astray from its goals with my mad egg skills. You guys go on without me ......sniff........sniff. No I'm not crying! I have allergies. I'm allergic to judas.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX