Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recent Cook from Dr. BBQ's Slow Fire

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Dr BBQ's Slow Fire is called a Beginner's Guide to BBQ, which it certainly is, but that is selling it short. It is a beautiful looking cookbook with some straightforward, easy to make recipes that taste great. I have been enjoying working my way through this cookbook. Here is a recent cook where I made Smoked Meatloaf with Dr. Pepper BBQ and Twice Smoked Cheesy Potatoes. Also I just put up a review of the Slow Fire cookbook on the blog section of my site:

Onto the pictures:

The ingredients are assembled for the Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce used with this recipe.

The Dr. Pepper was reduced to 1/4 it's original volume and is a thick syrupy liquid

While the Dr. Pepper was reducing, I made the rub. The rub used was called Rub #67 as an homage to Dr. BBQ's Chicago Roots.

The finished Dr. Pepper BBQ. Sauce.

I made the #67 Rub & Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce the day before I was going to smoke the meatloaf. I preheated and stabilized both Eggs at 235 degrees and added Jack Daniels oak chips for my smoke. On the day of the cook I washed the potatoes and then coated them with olive oil and sprinkled them with Kosher salt.

The ingredients for the meatloaf were collected and formed into two loaves. I doubled up the recipe, knowing from previous experience with smoked meat loaf that people would eat more smoked meatloaf than they expected and the leftovers are great.

The loaves are in pans and are on the Egg which is at 235 and has had the Jack Daniels oak wood chips added. 

After 45 minutes the loaves were turned out of the pans and were finished on the open grate.

The potatoes were soft enough to scoop out and are back in the Kitchen to do just that.

The potato filling

The potatoes are filled and are back on the second Egg to finish smoking.

The Maverick ET-732 temperature probes said the meatloaf was at temperature. I confirmed this with a Thermapen and took the meat loaf into the Kitchen to rest.

The meatloaf rested & I sliced up the first loaf for serving.

The potatoes are done.

This was an excellent meal all around. Everyone loved this take on smoked meatloaf. The Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce was a huge hit, even though everyone there HATES Dr. Pepper as a tonic. I asked my mother to make some green beans & bacon, which were a great pairing. For many people the biggest hit was the smoked potatoes, people couldn't stop talking about these. 

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Very nice! Glad to see you're still alive!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Beautiful pics and really great looking food!  Curious to the size of your meat loaf pans.  The loaves looked larger on the grill than on the platter.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jfm0830
    Thanks guys!!

@Cookinbob They were standard 5x9" loaf pans. I think that serving platter is too big for the meat loafs. The serving platter I used was 12"x18" which was a little bigger than what I might have wanted to use in an ideal world. The only other rectangular platters I had were 9"x12" (half the size) like I used for the potatoes. This size was too small. So I think the slightly too big serving platter distorted your perceptions.

Jim
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Wow
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    What was the rub you used? Was the baked potato recipe from his book?
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    That is just Fantastic and so well laid out..Congratulations...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The food looks outstanding my friend. The pictures are very impressive and are on par with hapsters. And that's saying a lot my friend. Again it all looks great.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    Very well done...Yum!
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Always enjoy reading your posts- another excellent cook. Thanks for sharing.
    Greensboro, NC
  • jfm0830
    edited May 2014
    Thanks guys for the additional comments! I was a little surprised to see this post rising from the ashes where it's over a month old.

@fletcherfam‌ everything here is from
    Slow Fire. The rub was his # 67 rub and the potatoes were from his recipe Twice Smoked Cheesy Potatoes. To my knowledge Dr. BBQ hasn't posted these recipes anywhere online, so if you need more information than you can glean from the pictures above, you'll have to grab a copy of the cook book.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Love that cookbook! Have you made the bacon ranch slaw? Man!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • jfm0830
    Love that cookbook! Have you made the bacon ranch slaw? Man!

I agree with you about the cookbook. The more I get into it, the more I like it. I haven't tried the ranch slaw yet, will have to add that to the growing list of things to do from that book. Thanks for the tip!
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Thanks for all the nice words guys. I'm very proud of that book but you just can't believe how good it makes me feel to know that people are using it and like the recipes. My day is made. 

A bit of a side note. Because it's a Slow BBQ book I didn't cook anything about about 235. Feel free to use your Egging knowledge to adjust those temps up a little. 
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • jfm0830
    edited May 2014
    @drbbq‌ You should be very proud of that book. It has great recipes that are suited for beginners, but are equally great for folks who have been at it for a long time. Everyone who has tried the recipes I have made from this book have loved them. What I like is they are relatively simple in terms of the number of ingredients, but still have amazing flavor. Many recipes today seem to be overly complex- why use a dozen spices for a rub when you can use two dozen? The Slow Fire recipes are fun to make and taste like a million bucks. I've begun exploring your Pork Chop cook book and I am enjoying it very much. Thanks for writing these great cook books!

Jim
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Well, I just may have to look into the purchase of Dr BBQ's Slow Fire.
    I assume it's at Amazon......
    Heading there to look....
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ