Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite budget meat cut

Options
2»

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Pork loin is cheap, usually under $2/lb at Costco and there's no waste. Our go to cheap meat is dark meat chicken. Grills or smokes up nice and boneless marinaded in Italian dressing makes for GREAT chicken sandwiches or stir fry.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Hard to beat pork butt, chicken, and turkey. Lots of meat for little money.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Whole chickens and pork butt for me. The grocers around me have taken advantage of briskets new popularity.  Used to be able to get brisket flats for 2-3 bucks a pound and packers for about a 1.50 per pound. Now a days flats are 7-9 bucks per pound and very few places stock packers without ordering in advance. Hoping for a trip to Sam's soon with my mom as rumors of 2.49 whole choice packers are about. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

I'm not too proud to consider road kill as a viable source of protein. It's just dodging the cars to get it that bothers me. Racoons are a rabies risk and like Possum, are a bit greasy and gamey.

I buy Hanger when it's available, have not tried Flap. Turkey is always a play but it's more than chicken  after Thanksgiving here in the GA hinterlands.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Our go to cheap meat is dark meat chicken. Grills or smokes up nice and boneless marinaded in Italian dressing makes for GREAT chicken sandwiches or stir fry.
    Yep, actually, we prefer dark to white chicken. Thighs in particular.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Big Macs and McDouble are my budget cuts of meat. I have no idea which animals it's from, but it still tastes good.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Whole chicken or leg quarters are cheap & good. Beef will be a little pricier due to the freak blizzard in the upper plains last month (if you believe the news).
    Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Whole chicken or leg quarters are cheap & good. Beef will be a little pricier due to the freak blizzard in the upper plains last month (if you believe the news).
    There's beef is the upper plains?  To us, the upper plains is Amarillo. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• mcameron
    Options

Shoulders and butts are still relatively cheap and you can beat them for smoking.  Takes time and patience, though....

Love to Smoke and Grill!

Be Sure to Check Out The MUST HAVE Item for BBQ Lovers:  The Alsing Meat Claws !!

Use promo code 'MEATCLAW' right now to get $3 off (but please leave us a review!)

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I buy all my beef, pork and chicken from friends who farm. Usually about $2.50 a lb or so for beef regardless of the cut since its all averaged. Need to get a pig. Chickens aren't super cheap, about the same as beef but I get 8 or 9 lb birds and the taste is so much better because they are raised much slower. I realize it may not be an option for everyone but if you have room to take it in bulk and can find a producer who will work with you, I think it's the best way to go.

The other option might be to consider making sausage.  You could get some better flavour and texture out of some cheaper cuts that way.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Hi Gmac-
    I actually started this thread as more a "what cheap cuts do you like" and it's kind of morphed into a lot more. A cow-share (as they are called here) is a great idea if you have the freezer facilities. Sausage? Can't wait to get the time over Christmas to give it a rip. I'd love to source a local cow and chickens and I agree, the free-range ones are soooo much tastier. I posted one cook recently where I shelled out $15 for a bird - best tasting bird I've ever had.

Enjoy your friends and their farms. Great relationships to have!

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Chuck roast, whole chickens on sale, ground beef, turkey. Or just buy a cow and it all gets a lot cheaper
  • smchan
    smchan Posts: 14
    Options
    I like London broil when I find it on sale, and chuck eye cut into kabobs and marinated with onion and green peppers. Green bell peppers are costly though.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Managers special section @ QFC aka Kroegers Just picked up another cab brisket , normally $5.99 lb for $3.59

Best way to go
    Seattle, WA
  • MississippiSlim
    Options

We raise our own cattle and pigs.  We raise chickens also but theya re egg layers so they dont get eaten until they stop laying good.  We have gotten "miscut" chicken from the processing plant for really cheap.  Also we have a small grocer that runs whole ribeyes for 6.99/ lb and 10$ off a 50$ purchase so we stock up when he has that sale.  Basically rather than try cheap cuts we try to find the cuts we want on sale when we buy from stores.  I will say that I think our home raised meat ends up being more expensive on average than the store but it is usually higher quality and if you eat everything it works out.  If all you eat are the expensive cuts its cheaper to go to the butcher than grow you own.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Our go to cheap meat is dark meat chicken. Grills or smokes up nice and boneless marinaded in Italian dressing makes for GREAT chicken sandwiches or stir fry.
    Yep, actually, we prefer dark to white chicken. Thighs in particular.
    I'll 3rd that recommendation for dark meat chicken.

Recipes that call for boneless skinless chicken breast, I nearly always use boneless skinless chicken thighs.  So much tastier and more nutritious.

But I do like my skin and bones, so hindquarters is my "go to" cheap and tasty meat.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.