Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Why you may forget your insulin in the egg...

Options

Fried and grilled meat may raise risk of diabetes and dementia

I guess I better go vegan and boil all my foods...sigh. 

Toxic chemicals found at high concentrations in fried and grilled meats may raise the risk of diabetes and dementia, researchers say.

US scientists found that rodents raised on a Western-style diet rich in compounds called glycotoxins showed early signs of diabetes, along with brain changes and symptoms that are seen in Alzheimer's disease.

The findings matched what the researchers saw in a small number of older people, where those with higher levels of glycotoxins in their circulation had memory and other cognitive problems, and signs of insulin resistance, which precedes diabetes.

continued at link above if you are interested.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As Abe Limon's (old Texas Basketball Coach) used to say: "I want to be sick when I die".
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Sixty years of grilled & fried is better than eighty years of oat bran.

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• msocko3
    Options
    Guess I don't have anything to worry about, I'm already a diabetic on insulin. Guess I'll just keep on frying and grilling.
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I choose to ignore such blasphemy. To not grill is to not live. Moo!
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If boiled meat is the answer, then Britain must be relatively diabetes free

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    And Travis must be healthy as an ox :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    caliking said:

Nope because Britain likes to follow American trends and eat poor quality food bought for next to no money
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    And Travis must be healthy as an ox :))
    I think I broke his heart the other day. 

Me: Travis, you know that first brisket you helped me with? 

Travis: Yeah man, I'll never forget that. I never forget my brisket virgins. 

Me: um oh ah well, after you told me to throw it in the marinade and shiner after a few hours, I started to question your sanity.  I told myself, boil a brisket, I'm not doing that **** and I just cooked it on the grid the entire cook. 

Travis: Ah man, are you serious? But you even posted pics of the onion and the Shiner. 

Me: Uh, my wife actually drank the Shiner and I cleaned the grate with the onion. 

Travis: Crap, I scratch a notch on my big stock pot for everyone I convert to the boil method. What am I going to do now? The tally isn't accurate. 

Me: Well, have you asked cen about doing it your way? 

Travis: I tried, but every time he sets up his egg, he drinks all the damn shiner. Says he cooks better when he's drunk anyway. 

Me: What about Mickey? 

Travis: He said he's too damn old to boil **** and prefers to turbo everything now.

Me: That's true. He texted me the other day all elated that he found this new Turbo Laser Wash for his new Toyota.  Said some crazy stuff that Quick Lube wasn't fast enough so he's still looking for a Turbo Oil change.  Did you talk to VI?

Travis:  Yeah, he answered his phone and just said "i'm outta here"

Me: Well damn man, the only person I can think of is henapple.  Problem is, he will probably modify the recipe with PBR. 

Travis: I don't know what i'm going to do

He started to whimper a little bit and hung up on me.  Has anyone heard from him?  I feel a little bad, but no way in hell was I going to boil a damn brisket packer.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    There is always fine print with these things, their conclusion could be they saw a 0.5% increase......
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Dementia??  Me???  What, me worry?  Sorry, too late...  What was that we were talking about.  The great thing is I get to meet nice new people every morning - right here in my house, and I've never felt better.  I have a really good memory, its just really short...
    Santa Paula, CA