Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you know when a probe is bad?

Options
buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
Doing a spatch chicken tonight.  Put my Maverick on it since I was doing other things.  The chicken (probe in the thigh) started cooking really fast - to 170 in about thirty minutes, starting from a relatively cool chicken.

Got out my thermapen, and sure enough, the thigh was reading about 140, and the breast about 90!! 

Is this a sign that my probes are bad?  I put the probe in the breast and it's already showing over 200.
NOLA

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You can check it in boiling water. Should read 212*. Try putting the thermopen right where the tip of your maverick probe is in the chicken. Your probe could be too deep or near a bone. I have also had bad temp measurements when the batteries are goin dead.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That probe on the maverick is big. Maybe to big for chicken???
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• buzd504
    Options
    shouldn't be too big - I've used it before.

It could definitely be the batteries.  This thing is WAY off.  Thanks.
    NOLA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    +1 On checking the batteries. My pit temps were jumping all over and food temps were't jiving with Thermapen a couple cooks ago. Changed batteries and all got better. Also in cold temps batteries don't work as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    DMW said:
    +1 On checking the batteries. My pit temps were jumping all over and food temps were't jiving with Thermapen a couple cooks ago. Changed batteries and all got better. Also in cold temps batteries don't work as well.
    If your maverick sending unit is going to be out in the cold, I recommend forking out the big bucks and buying Lithium batteries.  Lithium's perform much better in cold than the standard alkaline.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can check it in boiling water. Should read 212*. Try putting the thermopen right where the tip of your maverick probe is in the chicken. Your probe could be too deep or near a bone. I have also had bad temp measurements when the batteries are goin dead.
    This. 

Moisture in the probe can cause it to go haywire.  Tip:  Dry the probe (whole thing) in the oven at 220 F.  Thermistor probes are more susceptible to this than thermocouples.  That is a thermistor.
    Options
    Agree with the boiling water. I have one probe that reads 100F when sitting but it reads 212 in boiling water. 
  • buzd504
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, y'all.

About the boiling water - what if it's off?  Is the probe bad then (assuming the batteries are good).  You can't calibrate a maverick, can you?
    NOLA