Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A brisket happened...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
.. but I don't have the finished pics to prove it. The cook got away from me, and I was in a minor panic by the end of it.   I started out with  a 13# prime packer from Costco, and that's the only pic I got.

I was working on the weekend, so couldn't fire it up Sat night like I wanted to. Trimmed the fat cap off to about a 1/4", slathered with mustard, rubbed with Oakridge Black Ops rub. Loaded up the large with lump, threw in a small pecan branch piece, and let the temp come up to about 300ish. Set it up indirect with stone and water pan under the brisket. The meat was in a roasting pan, with a foil "snake" under it to keep the meat out of the drippings, fat cap up, point towards the hinge. 

I wanted to speed things along a bit so I cooked it kinda hot - about 325ish. After 6-6.5 hours the flat was probing almost like buttah, IT was 204°-206°F I think. Took it off the egg and let it FTC x 1 hr. 

When I took it out of the foil, it jiggled in a downright sexy briskety way. Separated the point from the flat, and started slicing the flat form the side that was under the point. It was so juicy.  Great googly moogly. My best one yet. The flat was "sampled" until half of it was gone.

Started slicing up the point, and that's about when I swooned. The bark was terrific and the point just melted in my mouth. Brisket sandwiches for dinner. SWMBO said it was most definitely the best brisket I've ever made (I cook maybe 2-3 a year). 

What did I do right? I think not messing with it was key! A couple of things came up during the course o the day and I didn't get to babysit the brisket like I had planned. I didn't use my Maverick because I forgot, and I took it off the egg when I needed the egg for something else, and luckily the brisket was done at that time. I think having a prime brisket may have helped. and I did pick the floppiest one I could find, by balancing the center of it on my hand and seeing how far the ends dipped.

Overall, it was a great damn brisket. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That raw brisket looks great.  When are you gonna cook it??? :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great looking brisket! When are you going to egg it?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That brisket looks like the burger @Cazzy made for me... :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    Options
    It was all a dream... a damn tasty dream :D

• cazzy
    Options
    Is your wife going to Salado? I find it hard to believe that you didn't take a picture. You photograph everything. How did you plate it?
  • caliking
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @cazzy - little to no pics from now on since SWMBO took them all and she has her hands full with the baby now :P And yep, she's coming to Salado. 

The house was crazy on Sunday! Worked in the morning, cooked up lunch for everyone outside, tried to hustle the brisket along so that one set of guests could get brisket sandwiches to take with them on the plane, picked up another guest in the afternoon with the brisket done in time so he could get to sample it while it was still hot.

I wasn't sure that the brisket would be good, so I gave up on plating and pics. Once I started slicing it, I got pretty excited and said "to hell with plating!". Sliced and ate and sliced and ate :) No plating - eaten right off the cutting board.

• cazzy
    Options
    So all the photos you post are taken by the wifey?  All this time I thought you were behind the plating and photos.  I feel so cheated. We were putting you on our shoulders like you were the next VI.
  • caliking
    Options
    That is correct... Just like all of your pics taken with the RAZR :ar!

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Nice to hear that turbo can work for brisket. I looked around in the past for threads on turbo brisket and didn't find as many posts as turbo ribs or pork shoulder. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Prime to boot! Like your style
    Seattle, WA
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

Shoot...I've paid more for choice. :(

Can't find prime in SA.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    cazzy said:

SkinnyV said:

Shoot...I've paid more for choice. :(

Can't find prime in SA.
    Oh I didn't look at price, yeah that's choice here also. CAB is 4.99lb at qfc for a packer, too expensive for me.
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    Options
    Some Costco's have prime packers, but not all. The price is great if your local one carries them.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Just hearing about how delicious it was makes my mouth water!

I've only made one brisket. My Costco only sells flats, so that's what I did. I had so much trouble with the temperature, just as you did, and it turned out absolutely delicious! Turbo briskets HAVE to be the way to go!

This was a couple of years ago and I posted the ordeal:

Judy in San Diego
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Dayum, you paid that for prime? that's the price of run-of-the-mill ground here ;(

Made brisket only once and don't even remember what it was like ... afraid to mess up another expensive hunk ... may be one of these days I'll be brave enough to try again 
    :\">
    canuckland
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Costco has choice brisket for 4.69 per lb right now
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @caliking....I dread warm weather.... I'll be wanting to cook a brisket every day. I am like you on eating the whole thing during taste test !!!!!!!!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    You are placed on restriction until the wife has time away from the baby to take pictures

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    edited March 2014
    Options

Judy Mayberry said:

Just hearing about how delicious it was makes my mouth water!

I've only made one brisket. My Costco only sells flats, so that's what I did. I had so much trouble with the temperature, just as you did, and it turned out absolutely delicious! Turbo briskets HAVE to be the way to go!

This was a couple of years ago and I posted the ordeal:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1244960&catid=1

Funny you should say that - the first time I liked a brisket I had made, was a turbo brisket. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I would have done it lo n slo overnight, but maybe its good that I didn't!

@canugghead - $2.89/lb all the time over here :)

@fletcherfam - are you sure you read that right? $4.89/lb?? I didn't know that Costco's pricing could vary by that much in different regions. Choice was $2.69/lb. Its almost stupid to not buy the prime brisket over here.. 

@dldawes1 - the weather has been somewhat crappy here. It let up just enough to be able to be outside without being rained on. 

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    We called them and yep 4.69. I think they jack their price up for St pattys day.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice Cali! It always feels good to hit one out of the park. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    @fletcherfam - that's playin' dirty. A modest price increase is reasonable but that's almost double.

nice Cali! It always feels good to hit one out of the park. 

Dude, good to see you back! A number of tips were picked up from you - picking the floppiest brisket, trimming it right and most importantly, whatever the original plan was, deviate from it! :)

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

We called them and yep 4.69. I think they jack their price up for St pattys day.

Costco doesn't. It's the vendor. Blame Excel or Swift/JBS. They can't mark up more than 11-14%