Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken PS - Ideas?

Options
So my PS broke. Any way to fix so it still handles heat from egg or am I going to be forced to buy another? I have heard before people putting together again but it not lasting.
Boom

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Buy an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store and you will be much happier.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Where did it break? If one of the legs have heard good results with jb weld.
    Greensboro, NC
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Buy an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store and you will be much happier.
    Probably but trying to avoid spending more money and in the 2 years of owning PS I have never needed anything more. I just use it for wings and butts really. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    On the flat part inch or so away from where one of the legs are. So it now has 3 legs but it is the flat part that broke off, not the leg from the flat part (if that makes and damn sense)
    Boom
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I would go buy some jb weld and see if it fixes it. If not your only out a few bucks
    Greensboro, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If I read you right then where it broke the repair will always mean it has a real weak spot using the J B Weld. If you are ultra careful it make last a couple years. Trouble is depending on how you use it then you risk say having it break unbeknownst to you during say an overnight butt cook or say having a Dutch Oven inside dumping the content into the egg. My advice is try to repair it, but don't trust it! 

OTOH if you want to just use it for indirect cooks then place it legs up ( or just 2 legs) on top of your grill.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Get another grate in similar size and put the plate setter on top of that arranged as if it wasn't broke and then put factory grate on top of plate setter.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I just broke the other two legs off mine and made a pizza stone.  If you go this route, use a masonry wheel on an angle grinder as you don't want to risk breaking it in some random location.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Just spitballing here but, is it possible to use a tile drill bit (maybe 1/4") and drill 3 sets of holes and use a ss shank to secure each side of the break together and JB Weld the joint? I have done this in commercial kitchen repair especially on equipment that is no longer produced. You just have to make sure all 6 holes are perfectly aligned and the repair should be sturdy with little structural integrity issues (will take some time and patience). Worth a try imho.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Just spitballing here but, is it possible to use a tile drill bit (maybe 1/4") and drill 3 sets of holes and use a ss shank to secure each side of the break together and JB Weld the joint? I have done this in commercial kitchen repair especially on equipment that is no longer produced. You just have to make sure all 6 holes are perfectly aligned and the repair should be sturdy with little structural integrity issues (will take some time and patience). Worth a try imho.
    I personally have tried a similar approach to repairing a broken firebox. When all said and done there was still a structural issue which in that case was due to overall weight since the JB Weld doesn't really make that great of an adhesive bonding agent with the material.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    RRP...Ron it was just an eggdea but, you've got a good point. The repair I made was on a very old brick oven (cast iron door and one of the ceramic plates in the dome section). The repair is still holding 2 yrs later thankfully because that thing is like 40-50yrs old and replacement parts, when available, ate platinum priced.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    So my PS broke. Any way to fix so it still handles heat from egg or am I going to be forced to buy another? I have heard before people putting together again but it not lasting.
    Did it break on its own or did you drop it/kick it/otherwise abuse it? Personal question I know, but if it broke on its own, it is warrantied for three years…

JB Weld works like a hot damn. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    On the flat part inch or so away from where one of the legs are. So it now has 3 legs but it is the flat part that broke off, not the leg from the flat part (if that makes and damn sense)
    I did that too. I cut the other legs off with an angle grinder with a cut blade. It's better in the ar than the indirect piece.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Adjustable Rig time from ceramic grill store
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Did it break on its own or did you drop it/kick it/otherwise abuse it? Personal question I know, but if it broke on its own, it is warrantied for three years…

Thanks for info. I am not sure how to answer. I was at a bbq comp and it was raining while we weer setting up, a steady drizzle. It got wet during this process. I did not use it to cook until the next day, cooked all day and evening. Next day while taking egg apart it was broke inside the egg
    Boom
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    I broke my PS a year or so ago and JB welded it.  It is still holding after many, many cooks since the initial break...
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Thanks for info. I am not sure how to answer. I was at a bbq comp and it was raining while we weer setting up, a steady drizzle. It got wet during this process. I did not use it to cook until the next day, cooked all day and evening. Next day while taking egg apart it was broke inside the egg
    In that case I would check with your dealer as it may be under warranty still.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Try to return it to your dealer tell them it broke while doing a clean burn they should replace it
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I have also broken my platesetter across the main body. As mentioned earlier I purchased a second grate at Lowes, actually charcoal grate for a kettle grill, and set the two halves of my platesetter on that then the BGE Grate on top. Works great!

I also picked up four bricks and use a similar system to raise the grate to the felt line for raised direct cooks. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Probably but trying to avoid spending more money and in the 2 years of owning PS I have never needed anything more. I just use it for wings and butts really. 

You don't need it for wings. Just raise and direct.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Sounds to me like it is cracked with no significant dents or whacks on the body that could have produced the broken piece. If less than three years old, bought from a dealer, take it in and ask for new one. The reason we pay $60-$80 retail for a $15 cost to build setter is to get solid customer service and warranty
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    Agree with @skiddymarker on this. I talked to my regional BGE rep about this kind of thing. He said a defect crack/break will basically be a clean straight break. Little or no jagged edges or zig zags. Dropped or mishandled pieces will tend to have chips and uneven lines. My PS broke in half after about 4 months. I was lifting it from the ground to the egg and snapped in two. When I looked at the side profile of the crack, I could see heat discoloration inside the crack which to me indicated that the cracked propagated over one or more cooks before complete failure. If you have a pic, post it and I'll (or possibly other members) can try and give an opinion. Either way, talk to your dealer. Mine was replaced on the spot.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Mine's had a leg JB Welded on for going on four years now.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    Also wanted to mention that dealer trip may not initially required. The fireboxes in both my eggs have cracked at some point. I took pics of the cracks and emailed them to my dealer. They just call me when the replacements came in. Didn't even ask for the old parts
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Prodraft
    Prodraft Posts: 22
    Options
    Just bought an AR, I have a LBGE platesetter for sale;) Only used 3 timesw and never over 400 degrees
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    If it is from use, not a drop, a PS has a 3 year warranty.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Try your dealer. Russ from Keiths Ace Hardware, the salado sponsor, will just swap them out. He is a super guy and runs an extraordinary dealership. Maybe your guy would be as helpful. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    I think that the Plate Setter comes with a 3 year warranty. Im not sure how it broke but it might be worth a shot.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    3 year warranty for sure. @Jeffroe189‌ mint broke and they replaced it, no questions asked.