Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Good Meatloaf

Options
Butcher
Butcher Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to use the Another Good Meatloaf recipe from the submitted recipes file and am wondering if I should use a drip pan under the rack or do I not have to worry about flare-ups. Can any of the Eggsperts offer your eggscellent advive thanks, Butcher

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MxMeatloaf02032000.jpg
    <p />Butcher, I haven't made the "Another Good Meatloaf" recipe, but the last time I did Mexican meatloaf, I did it at about 375 degrees for about 1.5 hours to an internal temp of 160 degrees. I use a drip pan (sitting on 2 firebricks) and foil raised on 3 sides under the meatloaf. [p]The "Another Good Meatloaf" recipe sounds like something I'll be trying. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Butcher
    Butcher Posts: 15
    Options
    Gfw,I don't have the fire bricks yet because I am still pretty much a newbie, I feel honored to be answered by one of the guru's such as yourself. Will a pizza stone get me the same results as the fire bricks?
    Thanks, Butcher

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Butcher, I' would love to say yes - but I have never used a pizza stone for other than pizza... I guess I've just always used fire bricks. The object is the temperature and the pizza stone under the drip pan should work perfectly well to produce an great indirect cook - works for pizza, should work for meatloaf. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Life with the BGE is fun!

• Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Options
    Butcher,
    Each time I have made that particular recipe I have cooked it in one of those disposable aluminum pans. I have put the pan directly on the grid and baked/Egged the loaf at 350°. I've always used lean beef and lean whole hog sausage, so grease in the bottom of the pan was not a major problem. I"m sure GFW's method would work very well also. Hope you like the meatloaf.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Butcher,[p]A pizza stone will work fine. The firebricks are needed when cooking at temps higher than 350F.[p]Spin