Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole meal in EGG?

Options
guavawood
guavawood Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife lets me BBQ dinner meats but if I want to invite friends over for dinner I have to let her know so she can make the side dishes and/or salad. She won't let me do that just like I won't let her Q. (she doesn't want to anyway) My question is: Can I prepare a complete meal in the egg with out using her kitchen? Cooked all at the same time? Ideas welcome![p]Greg

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    guava wood,
    sure you can. ... first, how many eggs do you have? ...[p]even if you only have, say a large. ... there are a couple of things you can do. ..[p]1. whole roasted/beer butt chicken with veggies. ... get a pie pan, lay cut up veggies in it (taters/peppers/zuchini/etc). . . stand up the chicken with the veggies all around it.. .it will all be done together.. . [p]2. trex a couple of steaks... .while they are resting, put a grill wok in the egg and stir fry up some veggies that have been tossed with some olive oil and balsamic vinager dressing. . . .pull the veggies and wok out and stick the steaks back in to dwell along with some skewers of shrimp and pineapple that have been coated with dizzy raging river rub. ...skewers will be done at the same time as the steaks... [p]3. you can always bake some taters in the egg first, then do the other things. ...[p]4. do a roast (while its resting, let the egg run up to 400 degrees and put in a souffle or a cheese torte. ..[p]5. stuffed pork loin (stuff it with rice or stoufers stuffing and apple), and surround it will large slices of potato/zuchini/sweet potato/pineapple ..you name it. ..[p]how is that for some ideas. ...if you have more than one egg, it gets even easier... oh yea, you can always do casseroles in the egg . .lasagna. ...stews . . .etc. ... .

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    guava wood,[p]I like to do this a lot. Makes more sense to use the device that is already hot.[p]First, think of the meats you do in the 300 - 400 range.[p]I do chicken, pork tenderloins and even my hamburgers there. If you sear steaks, that's kind of tough to do it all on one egg. [p]Veggies like zucchini are easy to do on the same grid. Portobello mushrooms with diced tomatoes and onions in them, covered with mozzarella. You could save some space and eliminate some risk by skewering veggies. Twice baked potatoes sound good. Have them all made up and ready to go, then they just need 15 or 20 minutes to get heated through again.[p]A hole chicken is nice...bunch of herbs and onion in the cavity...mmm. And it needs to rest for 15 minutes or so. Take it off, throw other stuff for as long as necessary and serve the veggies piping hot.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    But....have you ever done Tater Tots?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    LOL. ...not in the egg. . .although i guess you could lay them out on a fish grid and do them indirect. . .have you tried doing them in the egg??. .. .actually, with a little cheese on top and baked in the egg, i bet they'd be darn good. . ..

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    guava wood,
    My gosh yes, I do it all the time. Twiced baked taters and steaks are my favorite.[p]Well, wait, ribs and BBQ beans are my favorite.[p]Always a cool salad inside.[p]Then there is steak and scampi.[p]I'm trying my twiced baked taters tomorrow with ribs. Just have to see how the bakers cook at 225.[p]Mike

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Nope, I haven't, but I'll bet you're right....a little cheese on a nice, toasted Tot...a little sour cream on the side...a portabello or two along with some tenderloin medallions and a shot glass of good Balsamic Vinegar. Ahhh!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    guava wood,[p]Heck yeah you can.[p]623f6422.jpg[p]39173a7d.jpg[p]d0ba5042.jpg[p]5eb44e65.jpg[p]cb7c6fc1.jpg

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    shrimp2.jpg
    <p />Lawn Ranger,[p]I almost hate to admit it but I have done Tater Tots as well as fries on my egg. I did them directly on a pizza stone and the were great. Nice and crispy with a great hearth baked flavor. The pizza stone is great for stuff like that. Coconut shrimp is another "fried" item that can be done very low fat on a pizza stone in an egg.[p]Chuck
  • Greg,[p]Funny that you would bring this topic up as I did a complete meal today on the small BGE. It was done on my two layer setup and came out very well. I started with 4 skin on bone in chicken thighs which were placed on the lower grid and on one side. On the other side of this grid, I placed some baked beans in a standard bread pan. On the top grid, I placed some scalloped potatoes in another bread pan and beside this pan, I placed an ice cream cake in yet another bread pan. Ran this cook at about 325 degrees and all came out well but the scalloped potatoes had to be on the cooker an extra 15 minutes to get it done. I think I had the slices cut a little too thick. [p]There are many different meals that can be done all in the same cook if you pick out items that will cook or bake in about the same time and at the same temp. Even if they don't, you can stagger the times when they go on the cooker. About any sides can be cooked or baked around 300-350 degrees and there are many types of meat that will work at this temp as well. We probably do more meals around meat loaf as it always does well at about any temp. [p]I have not had the time to write up the above cook with pictures but I do have a picture of one of the cooks I did on the large BGE and will include it. [p]MVC-015E.jpg[p]Everything except the potato salad was all done in one cook.[p]This cook was done on the contraption and on the lower grid, I placed 5 skin on bone in chicken breasts. Beside the breasts, I placed the bread pan of baked beans. On the upper grid, I placed a bread pan of drbbq's corn casserole, and beside it I placed a 6 hole muffin tin of my yeast rolls. This cook all came out well and at the same time. [p]Hope this helps and if you have any questions or want to see more pictures of how I do this, send me a note and I will try to help.[p]Dave

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Chuck:[p]Nice picture! This is a family favorite at a local restaurant. Do you mind sharing your recipe?

• Chuck,
    You are the man!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    shrimp.jpg
    <p />djm5x9,[p]Be glad to.[p]1-1/2 lbs shrimp cleaned and deveined
    1/3 cup corn starch
    3/4 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    3 egg whites
    1-1/2 cups sweetened coconut
    non stick cook spray[p]mix the cornstarch, cayenne, and salt in a dish[p]put coconut in a dish [p]whisk or mix egg whites until frothy[p]dredge shrimp in cornstarch, then dip in egg whites, then dredge in coconut. Press the coconut onto the shrimp and set on a cookie sheet. [p]Get cooker to 350-400* and preheat pizza stone. [p]Spray shrimp with non stick spray or mist with oil. Place shrimp oiled side down on the stone. Cook 4-5 minutes or until coconut starts to brown, spray or mist face up side, flip and cook for 4 minutes more again until brown.[p]I like them dipped in a warmed apricot/jalapeno jelly. I have also just minced some jalapeno into plain apricot jelly and warmed that with good results.[p]If you try it let me know what you think.[p]Chuck[p]

• YankeeBBQ
    Options
    guava wood,[p]I just did a complete meal on my small egg. I did a spatchcocked chicken, 2 baked potatoes and I baked a butter cup squash. I burned the chicken a little but other than that it was great. It's only my second cook on the egg. The potatoes and squash were wrapped in foil and laid around the chicken. [p]Steve
  • guavawood
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]WOW![p]nuf said.[p]Aloha!
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Chuck:[p]Many thanks!