Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ restaurant recommendations on Memphis

Options
Greetings all. I'm headed to Memphis for work. Hoping to eat some good BBQ and thought my fellow Eggers might guide me to a good spot. Thanks!

Comments

• ajridge35
    ajridge35 Posts: 71
    Options
    Central BBQ. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    NOT Rendezvous. Ribs were flavorful enough, but seriously dried out! Cool place though, once you find it (in a downtown alley behind a couple of dumpsters). :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Rendezvous is pretty good, Tops is good its like fast food BBQ but good,neelys interstate BBQ but none as good as on the egg in my opinion. Rendezvous is downtown up a alley in a old building pretty neat atmosphere,its big I think 3 floors.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Corky's BBQ!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    NOT Rendezvous. Ribs were flavorful enough, but seriously dried out! Cool place though, once you find it (in a downtown alley behind a couple of dumpsters). :)
    You and I must have posting at the same time.Didn't see your post until after I posted mine wasnt trying to disagree about the rendezvous you're right sometimes they are dry.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Germantown Commissary, Interstate BBQ, Griddley's are some that come to mind. There are 2 or 3 along Beale St.  I don't remember the names but you can track them down by smell.  Corky's is ok.  It's a popular destination for tourists.  Rendezvous grills there ribs, then gives them a bath in hot vinegar and covers them in dry rub.  They're ok.  It's near the Peabody Hotel downtown in an alley.   Great atmosphere.  If you're downtown, don't wander off too far from your hotel at night alone.  
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Fried Chicken at Gus'
    Banana Pudding at Germantown Commisary
    BBQ Chicken Nachos at Rendezvous (get their beans and rice and sausage & cheese plate too)
    BBQ Spaghetti at Neely's Interstate BBQ
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Blue City Cafe
    Dyers ...hamburger
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    Uncle Lou's Chicken...Sweet Spicy Love Sauce
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Corky's BBQ!

+1.  I lived there 6 years.  Corky's and Cozy Corner were the best I found.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• up_in_smoke
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Greatly appreciated!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I lived in downtown memphis for 6 years and just recently moved back to central IL.

BBQ nachos from Central BBQ
    Beef ribs and BBQ spaghetti from Neely's Interstate
    Fried Chicken from Gus's
    Oysters from Pearl's
    Pork Loin from Majestic
    Brisket from Double J's
    Late Night Burger from Earnestine & Hazel's
    Breakfast from The Arcade
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    fence0407 said:
    Corky's BBQ!

+1.  I lived there 6 years.  Corky's and Cozy Corner were the best I found.
    How long ago did you live there?  Memphis has a ton have awesome restaurants and not just BBQ.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fadax
    fadax Posts: 32
    Options
    This summer I try the Gus' fried chicken...... FANTASTIC !!!!
    Milano-ITALY
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I used to visit Smith & Nephew in Memphis for work and loved trying the BBQ.  I was so excited for Rendezvous but it was just decent.  My two favorites are: 1) Central BBQ, 2) The Germantown Commissary

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    + 1 on Central BBQ. If you go there, you must get the sausage and cheese appetizer!

I tried Gus's fried chicken two weeks ago and was not thoroughly impressed...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • MeridianSun
    Options
    Memphis bbq Co south of Memphis. It is awesome.
    Large Big Green Egg, Griffin Georgia 
  • jamco
    jamco Posts: 13
    Options
    BBQ Shop on Madison is my favorite.  I'm really surprised no one has mentioned it yet on this thread.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    I forgot about BBQ Shop.  They have the best PP sandwich in town IMHO.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    Cozy Corner was great to me. 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    BBQ shop has great sandwich, must get it on Texas toast. Trust me. Central, the original location on central ave. They have good ribs but I always ordered the nachos. We ate there a few times a week while I was in school down there.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!