Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's go time!!!

13»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    lousubcap said:
    Friggin show-off-well deserved!  And the name of your new Q place is...
    LMAO

Man, that is far away.  Something I want and will do, at least 3-5 years out.  I will purchase offset this year and start doing backyard parties for meat and fuel cost.  I have a lot to learn, but i'm on my way for sure.

I don't have a cool name like Franklin so it definitely won't be after my name.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    1. Farkin' awesome brisket, Caz.

2. Good to see that VI is back. We miss ya, Gary :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks great Cazzy! :-bd Nicely done.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Absolutely amazing... I am in awe for sure... Did you just wrap it in some butcher/wax paper to rest? Looks absolutely perfect no doubt... Man...
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Yes. A recap of recipe/steps would be appreciated
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited March 2014
    I know it was all by feel, but did you happen to at least check the IT when you pulled (just to see)? Any guess of the IT when it felt right?

More importantly: Are you doing brisket at Salado???

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Looks like you really nailed it. The mojo must have been flowing yesterday because I did my best ever brisket as well. Looks like you had really good results, nothing more satisfying than taking that first bite and getting a smile because you finally hit it! Good job
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    cazzy said:

This definitely motivates me since it was all by feel.  I will be doing a brisket every week as this is my holy grail.  
    You're going to need some help with this.  Somebody objective.  What's your home address again?  You can PM me and I'll make sure to give it to the right person.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Really great post and great looking brisket. Congrats. I'm going to try the paper thing.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited March 2014
    cazzy said:
    I definitely need a flash and a couple soft boxes.  Hate the lighting in my kitchen.  
    I'll bet that décor will go over well with the Mrs.  LOL  Great looking brisket!
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • cazzy
    I know it was all by feel, but did you happen to at least check the IT when you pulled (just to see)? Any guess of the IT when it felt right? More importantly: Are you doing brisket at Salado???
    I a probe never touched the brisket so I honestly have no clue.  It was between 190 and 205 so that never changes.  

I actually have thought about pulling one off and driving up.  I need feedback so that would give me a good opportunity to get some from the masses.  If next weekends brisket cook improves over this one, i'll likely do one.  It will be pretty rough following in cen-tex's footsteps though as he set the bar pretty damn high.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @cazzy-following cen-tex in anything could be an invitation for disaster or one entertaining adventure... :)>-  However, you are closing in on the holy grail so you could be in line for a coronation of sorts if you wear a kilt and kiss-up to @Mickey!  Enjoy the Salado fest-gotta be a no pics after...rule in place  for sure!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cazzy. What offset you looking at, I have been looking as well....lyfe time is down by you in uvalde or a lang reverse flow are two I have been eyeing.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited March 2014
    @cazzy - I find that just bouncing flash (with modifier) to help with lighting.  There are also a soft box you can attach to your speedlight that I have heard works well.  Lighting sucks in my kitchen too. 

Adorama has great deals on used SB-700's.  I love both of mine. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy

Cazzy. What offset you looking at, I have been looking as well....lyfe time is down by you in uvalde or a lang reverse flow are two I have been eyeing.

Getting a 500 gallon offset with a insulated fire box made locally. ;)
  • cazzy

@cazzy - I find that just bouncing flash (with modifier) to help with lighting.  There are also a soft box you can attach to your speedlight that I have heard works well.  Lighting sucks in my kitchen too. 

Adorama has great deals on used SB-700's.  I love both of mine. 

Thanks boss! I don't have an external flash so I definitely think a SB 700 or 900 is coming my way. A friend also told me to look at Nissin Flashes.
  • Amazing looking brisket, well done, looks like you paid good attention young skywalker.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    For a no frills flash, I like the Yongnuo 560 II or III.  You can get the II's for under $60.  It is an all manual flash, which is what I use extensively over TTL.  Their triggers are good too. 

The SB-700 in my opinion a better option over the price of one SB-910.  A little easier to setup too.  I like having all the controls on the rear of the flash.  When I want off camera flash, just a flip of the switch and you're in remote mode (though settings for commander mode must be made in camera, but that isn't a biggie). 

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Professional-Speedlight-Flashlight-Olympus/dp/B00BXA7N6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393951075&sr=1-1&keywords=yongnuo

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy

For a no frills flash, I like the Yongnuo 560 II or III.  You can get the II's for under $60.  It is an all manual flash, which is what I use extensively over TTL.  Their triggers are good too. 

The SB-700 in my opinion a better option over the price of one SB-910.  A little easier to setup too.  I like having all the controls on the rear of the flash.  When I want off camera flash, just a flip of the switch and you're in remote mode (though settings for commander mode must be made in camera, but that isn't a biggie). 

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Professional-Speedlight-Flashlight-Olympus/dp/B00BXA7N6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393951075&sr=1-1&keywords=yongnuo

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out!
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Man that looks good!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

• Getting a 500 gallon offset with a insulated fire box made locally. ;)

Sweet build, my son built one similar to that with reverse flow....they are nice. I don't have room for it but maybe a nice lang will work.