Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My VOC reducer/lump filter

Options

Let me start by saying I have NO scientific evidence this works, but it seems to work for me. It only takes an extra minute or so to filter it so why not give it a try?  the buckets are $2.95 from home depot.

I noticed that when I dumped a bag of lump in my egg and it was towards the end of the bag and there were lots of little pieces and dust, the "VOC's" took longer to burn off.  So, I created this handy contraption.  I drilled 1 inch holes in a bucket.  Put that bucket into another bucket and dump your lump in.  Shake it, rattle it etc and get all the dust to go into the bottom bucket.  pour the filtered lump into egg and viola!  To me, it seems to be ready to cook faster and the "bad" smoke seems to burn off faster.  maybe its all in my head!

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I was just outside wondering about this same situation. I'm gonna copy this metod
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Nice easy way to filter out the dust! Sometimes the simple solution is the one that is most elusive! Great job!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    Nice easy way to filter out the dust! Sometimes the simple solution is the one that is most elusive! Great job!!

Thanks, my lump usually gets dumped into buckets anyway (one for "used" lump with wood chunks that may be not totally burnred, one for big chunks, another for the hell of it) so I figured this was taking it one step further. 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I'm gonna steel that idea too! I hate the dust sparks!!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Makes perfect sense, the more small pieces the more surface area in a given measure of lump. More surface area = more VOCs to release.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Gonna buy me some stock in Home Depot cause they gonna have a run on bucket sales!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Just please do not throw those fines and char dust away.  There's a lot of good BTU's left in that.  Save it in another bucket with a lid.  Use it for your camp fires, wood stove, fireplace, fire pit, composting, etc.  Or when you get enough, sell them to a briquette company--that's what the lump charcoal companies do.  :)

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Reminds me of the Charlie Papazian bucket in a bucket home lautering system for homebrewing beer. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I try to keep the dust out since I seem to get a lot more flashbacks with those fines in there. Maybe that's just me...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Brilliant, I'm making one today!
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • busmania
    Options
    I must admit, this is actually my second version.  The first I only drilled holes about 1/2" and they were not nearly big enough.  The 1" holes work much better.
  • busmania
    Options
    Also, you can only fill the bucket about a third full otherwise it doesn't work very well.  You have to filter two or three batches each time you fill the egg but I think it is worth it.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    If you guys have a Firehouse subs place in your area, you can buy their used buckets for $2.