Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt - Sugar Burn Temp?

Options

Hey guys - I have a family cookout on Sunday and will have limited time so I look to do a couple turbo butts. This would be my 1st time doing turbo-method.  I usually use John Henry's Pecan Rub or Ployboys Yardbird both which have sugar.  At what point do you have to worry about the sugar burning? You guys using 325-250 dome temps for this or grate temps for turbo?

This meal would be at 6:00.  I will most likely put butt's on around 9 or so.....if I see these are really moving along fast can I lower temp back down to 250 or so.  If the temp fluctuates between 250 and 350 does it really hurt much?  Also, how long is ok to FTC?  Ideally I would like to get them off and do some wings and pig shots for appetizers.

Thanks!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @corey24
    Im going to give you a guide that i use and has served me well. Im sure some will disagree with this but its the way i do it.
    225-250 All the sugar you want.
    250-275 Medium amount of sugar.
    275-300 Very little sugar.
    300+ I avoid sugar all together until the end.
    I would go into more detail but im at work. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I did 2 turbo yesterday with a fair amount of sugar in the rub.  for the last hour or so grate temp was around 350.  The sugar did burn, but the black bark is delicious - I ate a lot while I was pullingimage
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Part of the "turbo" method I've practiced is that the meat is foiled for a period to speed it thru the stall. To avoid burnt sugar, I'll suggest cooking no higher than 300, and  foil when the meat reaches 190. Then unfoil, and finish. Cooler will be fine.