Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bok choy

Anyone have ideas for cooking Bok choy on egg

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I slice them done the middle marinate it in Honey, soy sauce and Siraccha. Seems to come out tasty every time.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    In a wok.  Stir Fry with other vegetables and chicken or beef.  I just got a wok last week and so far have only done it on the stove.  Can't wait to use it on the egg.  Got it from the Ceramic Grill Store.  I think the advantage to woking on the egg is that the temperatures can be higher than you can easily get on a gas range and it keeps your kitchen clean. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Ok thanks I don't have a wok but going to get one soon
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    The wok was only $22 or 26 bucks and adds another dimension to what you can do on the egg.  Check this video out.  I made this last night and it came out really good although I did it indoors.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ne8tgHWVQ

XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    edited March 2014

If you are going to use your wok on a large get a 14" carbon wok with round bottom and metal handles.A hand hammered one is nice..a piece of art! www.wokshop.com also get a spider from the ceramic grill store and use it legs down. Others have their own way of woking.No way is wrong if the food comes out good.

A spatchula and a ladle are good accessories to have

I get the egg stabilized @ 400-450' when ready to use your wok close the botton damper and open the lid.

Good books:  "The Breath of a Wok"

And "The Foods of Vietnam"

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Slice down the middle, brush with a combination of soy sauce and melted butter.  Grill raised direct about 2 minutes, flip and cook another 2 minutes.  Brush with additional soy/butter after cooking.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• jscarfo
    I have a spider for my large. But you leave lid open while cooking?
  • jscarfo
    Just watched that video of guy cooking with wok on egg it was very good but for some reason I had to crack open a beer while watching
  • Serial Griller

You have to keep the lid open as wok cooking is fast. You are stirring constantly. Make sure you have all your ingredients lined up near the egg .I use a cheat sheet sometimes to help me remember what to put in when and for how long. This is the fastest meal you will do on the egg.

Fried rice is a good one to start with. you use day old rice.

Here is a video. It's on a stove so she is using a flat bottom, wooden handled wok.Wooden handles are a bit difficult to use on the egg.

Practice makes perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0SGI2uAvw&feature=youtu.be

• Serial Griller
    Until you get a wok you could use a cast iron griddle or skillet
  • jscarfo
    Finished product. It was pretty good not a lot if flavor, both salt pepper and olive oil finished one with soy and other with balsMic
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418

If you are going to use your wok on a large get a 14" carbon wok with round bottom and metal handles.A hand hammered one is nice..a piece of art! www.wokshop.com also get a spider from the ceramic grill store and use it legs down. Others have their own way of woking.No way is wrong if the food comes out good.

A spatchula and a ladle are good accessories to have

I get the egg stabilized @ 400-450' when ready to use your wok close the botton damper and open the lid.

Good books:  "The Breath of a Wok"

And "The Foods of Vietnam"

This information was very helpful when I ordered my hand hammered wok a few minutes ago. The lady at the Wok Store was extremely pleasant, nice and helpful. She seemed somewhat familiar with the BGE but not clear on the proper measurement for the large. She suggested the 16" but because of your post we settled on the 14." The price was $27 and $9 shipping. I also ordered the spider. Thank you Serial Griller for this information.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.