Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

V-rack or not.

I am seeing several people using the V-rack for there pork butts. I have always just laid mine on the grate. Is there any advantage to using the V-rack other than using it to get the butt off the grill when its done?
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE

Comments

• BobsBGEBobsBGE Posts: 99
    I've done both and see little difference except with the V-rack, I have something else I have to clean.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • SGHSGH Posts: 21,337
    @Jeffroe189

No difference in cooking. V-rack makes handling meat easier. I like using them but thats just me.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
  • AlbertaEggerAlbertaEgger Posts: 1,123
    I love the V-rack and use it often. Ribs, Roast, chickens, turkey breasts. Its not always used, but deffinetly a handy rack.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 6,803
    I bought a V-rack but never used it... 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thomasville, North Cackalack - Large BGE - Medium BGE - KJ Jr - 36" Blackstone
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeffroe189Jeffroe189 Posts: 213

I bought a V-rack but never used it... 

I bought mine for the thanks giving turkey and have not used it since. Lol
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 665
    I use my V-Rack for Ribs and also elevating my Brisket when I do it "Travis Style" among other things but have never used it for Pork Butt. I typically do multiple butts at one time and using the V-Rack wouldn't work for me.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • tcampbelltcampbell Posts: 646
    I don't have a plate setter r a stone for my medium egg so I use the v rack and set in a drip pan for sorta indirect works good for that.
  • My v rack has only been used for turkey... probably a candidate for that post of things you regret buying
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...