Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

V-rack or not.

I am seeing several people using the V-rack for there pork butts. I have always just laid mine on the grate. Is there any advantage to using the V-rack other than using it to get the butt off the grill when its done?
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE
·

Comments

• BobsBGEBobsBGE Posts: 99
    I've done both and see little difference except with the V-rack, I have something else I have to clean.
    Fayetteville, Ga
    ·
  • SGHSGH Posts: 12,464
    @Jeffroe189

No difference in cooking. V-rack makes handling meat easier. I like using them but thats just me.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    ·
  • I love the V-rack and use it often. Ribs, Roast, chickens, turkey breasts. Its not always used, but deffinetly a handy rack.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 2,903
    I bought a V-rack but never used it... 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • Jeffroe189Jeffroe189 Posts: 212

I bought a V-rack but never used it... 

I bought mine for the thanks giving turkey and have not used it since. Lol
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 640
    I use my V-Rack for Ribs and also elevating my Brisket when I do it "Travis Style" among other things but have never used it for Pork Butt. I typically do multiple butts at one time and using the V-Rack wouldn't work for me.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • tcampbelltcampbell Posts: 551
    I don't have a plate setter r a stone for my medium egg so I use the v rack and set in a drip pan for sorta indirect works good for that.
    ·
  • My v rack has only been used for turkey... probably a candidate for that post of things you regret buying
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·