Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp. for baby back ribs

Options
bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
Hi All,

I am over cooking my last few cooks with the above.  I was thinking I was looking for a meat temp. of 200 degrees.  I have a new Thermopen (sp).  I understand the issue with the bones.  I shot for the meaty portion and several readings were 185/190 degrees.  Wrapped in foil for an hour to try to lessen the bark.  The 185/190 temp. stayed there for 45 min to an hour.  Wife said meat was overdone.  Seems like the more I try the worse the ribs turn out.  Thanks in advance.

Phil

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It is extremely hard to determine the IT of ribs. Most people either use the bend test (ribs will bend to 90* when done) or the toothpick test, where the toothpick will slide in & out with no resistance like you would check a pork butt for doneness. Sounds like maybe the ribs were undercooked if they were chewy enough she thought they were over cooked There is a fine line between done and undercooked

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    When checking ribs IMHO I like to see the meat start pulling back on the bone just about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and they are good to chew off the bone add sauce at the very end. The temps of 185 to 190 is a good temp to cook on....

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @bamafan62
    Sir im going to offer two ways of cooking them and both work equally well.
    First the turbo method. Cook indirect at 350 until the ribs will bend. Do not foil.
    Second cook indirect at 225-275 until they will bend. Again do not foil.
    I assure you if you pull them when they first bend they will be moist. No foil no magic just pull when they bend. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bamafan62
    Options
    Thank you very much.  I suppose this last try was a combination of both methods!  One planned and one not planned!  I foiled because the wife said she heard foiling would cut down on "bark". 

I appreciate your input.

Phil
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Bark is a good thing on ribs, why would she want to cut it down?
    Pentwater, MI
  • bamafan62
    Options
    If I knew how her mind works I would be a heck of a lot richer than I am today!  ;=)
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    "I use the bend test (a.k.a. the bounce test). Pick up the slab with tongs and bounce it gently. If the surface cracks, it is ready." AmazingRibs.com

Another successful test is to slide a toothpick between the bones. If it easily slides in and out then they are ready.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• ClemsonFanJT
    Options
    I have great success cooking 3-1-1.......3 hours at 275-300 (Indirect) pull off and tin foril in a cooler for and hour and then back on for 45 mins at 350 then baste with my sauce for 15 mins and they bones slide right out