Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Dish Pizza

Options
I love a homemade deep dish pizza! And it's even better on a Big Green Egg!! Here is my recipe. It included homemade sauce & a buttery dough for crust. Has anyone else tried a deep dish pizza?

DEEP DISH PIZZA on a Big Green Egg! 

Here is a deep dish pizza in a 15" Lodge cast iton skillet on an XL Big Green Egg.

imageimage

Comments

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Very nice! Made the same last night.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Biggreeneggy
    Options
    Looks good, I'm trying this next weekend.
    Large Egg - Loudon County, VA.
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    I think you've convinced me to give this a try this weekend.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    Post some pics and let me know how it goes!
  • SensFan
    SensFan Posts: 41
    Options
    I have tired a few times but always have a hard time getting the pizza out of the deep dish stone, the dough is free from the stone but as I tip it out all the sauce and ingredients slide off the pizza......maybe I just need more practice which really sounds like a good problem to have!!
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
    Great looking pie.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    SensFan said:
    I have tired a few times but always have a hard time getting the pizza out of the deep dish stone, the dough is free from the stone but as I tip it out all the sauce and ingredients slide off the pizza......maybe I just need more practice which really sounds like a good problem to have!!
    Are you allowing the pizza to set up after you remove it from the heat? I use cast iron skillets to cook my pizzas and always allow them to set up for about 10 minutes before I remove them. After 10 minutes, I slide a butter knife around the entire sides then use a spatula and they always slide right out onto my cutting board. 
  • SensFan
    SensFan Posts: 41
    Options
    Great tip I will have to try that on my next one....theory was that my crust would be over cooked if I let it sit for to long on the stone before removing it but now I am just going to let it ride...thanks
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Looks really good. I haven't made the step to homemade yet.....waiting for warm weather !!!!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SpartanPride
    Options
    SensFan said:

Great tip I will have to try that on my next one....theory was that my crust would be over cooked if I let it sit for to long on the stone before removing it but now I am just going to let it ride...thanks

I spray the inside of the stone with cooking spray, then before I put the dough in I coat the inside with olive oil. When it's done I let it sit for about 10 min (sometime less) and it comes right out. Did one last night and it turned out great. Love the deep dish!
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    When you cook a deep dish pizza, you are basically "frying" the dough. It's virtually impossible to over oil your cooking vessel. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wow, deep dish pizza sounds good right now... Might have to order some...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker