Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is a first for me.... Grilled Cabbage

Options
I will totally admit I have not tried this yet, but sounds pretty good to me.

Grilled Cabbage

About This Recipe

"Don't be surprised if even your kids like this grilled treat. It's easy to cook this alongside steaks or burgers on the grill, as long as you start the cabbage wedges first."

Ingredients

• 1 head cabbage
    • 4 teaspoons butter
    • 4 slices bacon
    Spice mix
    • 1 teaspoon salt
Grilled Cabbage

Ingredients

• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Cut cabbage into four wedges.
  2. Place each wedge on a piece of doubled heavy-duty aluminum foil.
  3. Spread cut sides with butter.
  4. Mix spices together in a small container and sprinkle all of the mixture equally over each wedge.
  5. Wrap bacon around each wedge.
  6. Fold foil around cabbage, sealing each wedge tightly.
  7. Grill cabbage, covered, over medium heat for 40 minutes or until the cabbage is tender, turning twice.
Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Here's another variation and always a winner: And I had forgotten about it til your post-thanks!

The cabbage here is stuffed with bacon and onions, anointed with butter and barbecue sauce, and grilled using the indirect method until it is tender enough to cut with a fork. Best of all, the preparation time is short, although you need to allow an hour or so for the cabbage on the grill. Thus, barbecued cabbage meets my three requirements for a truly great dish: it looks terrific, it tastes terrific, and it takes just a few minutes to prepare.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) Unsalted Butter 

4 slices (1/4 pound; preferably atisanal) Bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slivers 

1 small Onion, finely chopped 

1 medium size Green Cabbage (about 2 pounds) 

1/4 cup Basic Barbecue Sauce, or your favorite commercial brand 

Coarse Salt and Black Pepper 

2 cups wood chips, soaked for 1 hour in cold water to cover, then drained 

Directions

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and onion and cook until just beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the bacon and onion in a strainer over a bowl and reserve the drippings. Crumple a piece of aluminum foil and shape it into a ring about 3 inches in diameter.

Cut the core out of the cabbage and discard. Cut the remaining butter into dice. Stir the barbecue sauce into the bacon and onion mixture. Prop the cabbage upright on the aluminum foil ring, cavity facing up. Place the bacon and onion mixture in the cavity and top with as many pieces of butter as will fit. Using a basting brush, paint the outside of the cabbage with bacon drippings (save any remaining bacon fat for basting pork chops or making baked beans). Season the cabbage lightly with salt and generously with pepper.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium.  Egg is ready at 350-400, indirect. When ready to cook, place the cabbage on its aluminum foil ring in the center of the hot grate away from the heat. If using a charcoal grill, toss all the wood chips on the coals. Cover the grill.

Grill the cabbage until very tender (when done it will be easy to pierce with a skewer), 1 to 1 1/2 hours. To serve, peel off any dried-out or charred outside leaves and discard. Cut the cabbage into wedges and serve.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I've done it like @lousubcap, very similar recipe. The cabbage did take a bit of smoke (might have been the lump I used - no idea what that was) SWMBO complained too much smoke. Like @Eggucated wedge technique, I tried wrapping the whole cabbage in foil, but allowed it to vent out the top. Very little smoke, but I did find it harder to "carve", might have been over done. Since then, I wedge the cabbage, wrap in bacon, do mine direct on the grid like an ABT. The one for SWMBO gets cooked bacon (microwaved), and is foil wrapped. Everyone is happy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    I like cabbage  a lot and am always looking for new ways to use it. Gonna tried it on the egg for sure. Thanks.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My favorite method for cabbage...chopped into bite sized pieces and dipped in salt. Sorry, but simple is good on this one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker