Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig over cow? Or cow over pig?

Options
Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
In a few weeks, I have 10 adults coming over who can eat like they are 20 people. This family can really, really eat. I am planning what I am going to make and how. My challenges:
I have one large egg.
I had two requests: some demanded my brisket and some demanded pulled pork.
So, do I place the two butts that I will cook over the brisket? Or the brisket over the pork?
Brisket rub will be mostly salt and pepper with just a a little cow lick, cayenne and garlic powder.
Pork will get a hefty dusting of dizzy dust course grind.
Plan is to have these done about 4 hrs before everyone arrives, and have them FTC'ed while the ribs are on. I should be okay if I put them in the same cooler double wrapped in AF and then wrapped in towels, correct?
I know the easier solution is to get another egg, but right now, the bank account will not allow that. I would like some thoughts and opinions.
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sea2Ski
    Beef over pork for sure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I am of about two minds on this cook-but I prefer Cow over Pig.  The beef flavor seems to do a better job of enhancement than the reverse.  Regardless of your decision make sure your drip pan (indirect cook) is elevated off the spacer (platesetter or stone) so you don't burn the drippings.  Great eats await!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    lousubcap
    I have tried it both ways and dont feel there is any thing unsafe about cooking pork over beef but others do. I agree the pork imparts a off taste to beef over a real long cook. Beefs does the reverse. Gives pork a little extra i think.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @SGH-I totally agree and it took me several cooks to finally settle on the answer-at least for me.  Any road that will get you the results you want works for me but as you note, cow over pig seems to yield the best results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    Do you have to worry about guests who can't eat pig? That might give you the answer. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    pretzelb said:
    Do you have to worry about guests who can't eat pig? That might give you the answer. 

No I do not. They are all one (fantastic) family, whom we are almost members of because we are all so close. Mother is in a wheelchair, father is a cop who could retire, but loves the work so continues to work, and takes fantastic care of his wife. The 4 "kids" are all fantastic people who married fantasic people - now they are all having children. It was hysterical when the now 4 year old girl, when she was about 3, tasted rib (meat only) that I cooked on the egg. That meal she would only eat that meat, and would reject everything else. Sounds like a story, but it is 100% true. We never had them alll over to my place at once, but now we all have agreeded to meet at the end of March, and my thanks of "adopting" us is the privlidge and challenge of allowing me to cook for them.
    Large and MiniMax

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Brisket over pork for me. I've had pork drippings wash away some rub on my brisket and I value my brisket bark more than my pork bark.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:

Brisket over pork for me. I've had pork drippings wash away some rub on my brisket and I value my brisket bark more than my pork bark.

+1
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    Do the pork the night before and serve it in a crock pot.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Thank you for the idea, and I might have to go with that, but I really wanted to serve everything just cooked.
    HMMmmm  looks like the cow should be on top of the pig.  I guess that is what I should and will be doing....  Thanks all!

Large and MiniMax

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, cow on pig IMHO. Oink is hard to screw up, moo on the other hand...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker