Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Things I've done so far.

Options
Mik of Alaska
Mik of Alaska Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done a couple of spatchcocked chickens and the leftovers make a great chicken salad...a meatloaf but next time it will be with my recipe, baked potatoes....yummmie, ABT's to die for and finally last night at 5 degrees above zero I decided to ramp it up and do some NY strips. My neighbor fell in love with my BGE when he watched it go to 700 and we threw then on there for the sear. It was dark as all get out but the glow from the Egg and a flashlight makes all things good. Got the platesetter on the way along with an extended grill so I can do things the right way. Checked today and they made it to Chicago but don't know how long to make it to Alaska. Hoping in time for a Thanksgiving turkey. Wish me luck!! Love to all! Mik

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]I can picture two fellas huddled in the dark around the glow, warming their hands on the egg under the brilliant starry Alaskan night with faint wisps of blue-green aurora shifting overhead, sparks shooting skyward with the aroma of searing beef in the freezing air.[p]Keep us posted on your cooks and if you can, some pictures too.... good luck, Mik![p]john
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]Well don't leave us hanging like that--how did the NY strips turn out? It sounds like you're doing great. It's pretty cool that the egg can do what it does no matter the temperature.[p]If you can get a calm and small fire going, and if you like pork, you might want to try pork tenderloin. It will be the best pt you ever had. I do them direct on a raised grid, but you could probably do them on the lower grid if your fire was not very tall--just barely covering those holes in the firebox. 325 or less, I'd think, and turn them every 10 minutes or so.[p]Did you do your ABT's direct on the normally-placed grid? The only time I tried that, the bacon got too crispy on the bottom.[p]continued good luck to you.[p]Joyce
    who is happy she lives in Florida

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    Trouble,
    Yes I did my ABT'S on the direct low grill with the same results but I turned them to get an even EXTRA crispy bacon. I didn't get the grill extender just yet but I had to give it a go. Still to die for. Platesetter and extender due here tomorrow and will try them again on raised grill. Mik "It must be nice to live in Flordia" of Alaska

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Where were you??? I didn't see you out there. I was wondering where that other NY went. Mik