Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cholesterol help

2»

Comments

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273

Small changes are going to be things you can stick to and actually make a change.  Start by eating less, more veggies and less meat and cards.  Eat less butter and oil.  Also exercise more.  I wanted to make a change last year when i got on the scale and realized that I was nearly 280 lbs.  Through changes in my diet and exercise (nothing crazy, just started walking for 30 mins 3 or 4 times a week and turned to running when I got in better shape) I am 11 months in and has lost 75 lbs.  I am using the "My Fitness Pal" app on my phone to help me with keeping my food tracked. 

I also cut out all drinks other than water and the occasional beer, wine or liquor and stopped eating after 8pm.  For me, and I think for mosts people, serving sizes alone will make a huge difference.  Actually measure (volume, weight, count etc) your servings and you will be shocked how many servings you may actually be eating.  Also for me kepeing track of the food I was eating helped keep me on track.  I was surprised how many calories I was actually eating when I started.

I still eat everything that I used to eat and I never gave any food up during the process.  Some days I just had to do a workout or have a big salad for lunch to make up for having a couple extra beers or bbq.  Most people fail if they try completely cutting out food groups and particular foods and end up not being successful in the long run becuase they eventually start eating them again.  This is a lifestyle change that requires some work and may not be easy but in the long run it is worth it.  Best of luck!

• what going on atkins taught me about cholesterol levels is to just drop the carbs and not worry so much about cholesterol in the foods. probably goes against what the nutritionists will tell you but eating steak, butter, bacon and dropping out the breads, cereals, potatoes etc and your cholesterol drops and more importantly the good to bad ratio improves. pretty basic, eat meat, good veggies, and some fruit, if your going to eat a bread roll, cover it in butter, the fat slows down how the carbs are digested. if your going to eat a carb, make it a beer

Ignore this. The Atkins diet is TERRIBLE. You will lose weight, but it is not healthy. Balanced diets are much healthier. The weight loss takes longer, but it is better for you. The important thing is to make changes that you will stick with.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • @robnybbq, try getting the magazine Cooking Light.  It's got all kinds of quick recipies that are tasty and healthy.  You just can't be afraid to experiment.  They've given me many healthier options to some ingredients that I've incorporated into alot of the things I cook regularly.  Plus your family can look at the recipies and hopefully find things they would like to try.

Also, you have to exercise.  I've got a bowflex I bought off craigslist.  Start slow and work your way up.  Most routines I can complete in 20 minutes if I hustle.  Find time to walk a little.  5 minutes a few times a day adds up.

Good Luck.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2014
    How do you measure your foods when you dine out?  They dont tell you there was 4 oz of chicken or 2 oz of dressing or 1/4 cup of carrots. 

For example If I ate a 4 oz piece of grilled chicken with a salad I would get aggravated and tired/weak.  Same for a 4 oz pork seared chop and a 1/4 cup of brocolli (beside the fact of no flavor).    I have done this in the past and after a week I have no energy.  I get pissed off then go eat something else.  1700 calories according to that app.

I highly doubt I will give up the weekend beverages of alcohol (vodka, scotch, bourbon - all straight) - I have cut back on beer and wine.  I dont drink soda now and when I do its diet soda which is good.

I just dont know how you do it.  I enjoy food and it is a stress reliever just dont see how I can just eat plain basic foods and be satisfied and not looking for more food.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    And to try and get healthy and using the Egg I do not see long term. 

I am not going to fire up the egg for a piece of grilled chicken (which I hate).  The big elaobrate cooks have been loaded with fat foods.  Briskets, pork butts, sausage, burgers, steaks, chilli.

I'll have to figure something out.

Thanks all for the recommendations.  been in a real bad funk lately and dont see a way out.

Garnerville, NY
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273

Rob,

When you measure/weigh stuff at home you start tt a good feel for what an actual serving size is.  You don't have to give up any food, just eat less of them.  If you make a pulled pork just have one sandwich on a whole wheat bun with some grilled veggies.  If you used to eat 3 sandwiches, a giant bowl of baked beans a 3 peices of cornbread eat half of that.  it is all portion control and making smarter decisions (less processed, more whole grains, more fruit and veggies etc).  If you approach with the mindset of I am not giving anything up and this is the worst thing ever you are going to fail because you never gave it a chance.  It is tough to begin with but you need to keep at it.  Your two options are keep at it and get better or give up and deal with the health issues that come with eating the food we love (high fat, high calorie, low nutritional value)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    what going on atkins taught me about cholesterol levels is to just drop the carbs and not worry so much about cholesterol in the foods. probably goes against what the nutritionists will tell you but eating steak, butter, bacon and dropping out the breads, cereals, potatoes etc and your cholesterol drops and more importantly the good to bad ratio improves. pretty basic, eat meat, good veggies, and some fruit, if your going to eat a bread roll, cover it in butter, the fat slows down how the carbs are digested. if your going to eat a carb, make it a beer

Ignore this. The Atkins diet is TERRIBLE. You will lose weight, but it is not healthy. Balanced diets are much healthier. The weight loss takes longer, but it is better for you. The important thing is to make changes that you will stick with.
    first, its not a diet, its a lifestyle. then southbeach copied it, and then paleo reworded it but its all the same. the fda wont admit they are wrong with their carb overload pyramid so they are trying to come up with a new system that hides that fact. the biggest problem with atkins is that your supposed to eat healthy and execise.
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Try eating smaller, healthier meals and snacks 5-6 times a day vs 3 large meals. Breakfast, 10 am snack, lunch 2 pm snack, light dinner..... Keeps you full and you can add healthier foods for snacks. Granola, veggies, Greek yogurt, homemade shakes, possibilities are endless. Wake up an hour earlier to work out at home.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    robnybbq said:

How do you measure your foods when you dine out?  They dont tell you there was 4 oz of chicken or 2 oz of dressing or 1/4 cup of carrots. 

For example If I ate a 4 oz piece of grilled chicken with a salad I would get aggravated and tired/weak.&same for a 4 oz pork seared chop and a 1/4 cup of brocolli (beside the fact of no flavor).    I have done this in the past and after a week I have no energy.  I get pissed off then go eat something else.  1700 calories according to that app.

I highly doubt I will give up the weekend beverages of alcohol (vodka, scotch, bourbon - all straight) - I have cut back on beer and wine.  I dont drink soda now and when I do its diet soda which is good.

I just dont know how you do it.  I enjoy food and it is a stress reliever just dont see how I can just eat plain basic foods and be satisfied and not looking for more food.

If food is a stress reliever you need to find new coping mechanisms. I'm not saying that food can't be but you are making it sound like you are "emotionally eating". This may feel good but it is a net negative to you and your family. Your health suffers and your children are given bad examples to follow. The reason you feel crappy after eating "healthy" food is due to the "withdrawal" you are having. It sucks for a bit, but your body adapts.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited March 2014

robnybbq said:

For example If I ate a 4 oz piece of grilled chicken with a salad I would get aggravated and tired/weak.&same for a 4 oz pork seared chop and a 1/4 cup of brocolli (beside the fact of no flavor).    I have done this in the past and after a week I have no energy.  I get pissed off then go eat something else.  1700 calories according to that app.

If food is a stress reliever you need to find new coping mechanisms. I'm not saying that food can't be but you are making it sound like you are "emotionally eating". This may feel good but it is a net negative to you and your family. Your health suffers and your children are given bad examples to follow. The reason you feel crappy after eating "healthy" food is due to the "withdrawal" you are having. It sucks for a bit, but your body adapts.
    I finally did something about my weight, started about 1 1/2 years ago, took about 11 months to get where I wanted, have been able to hold it.. Used Weight Watchers online. Was truly eye opening on how much I was eating. The first 3 weeks I was a **** to be around, SWMBO can attest. It got easier as time went on. Now I can't imagine eating the quantity of food in a day I did back then. There is nothing I have completely cut out, just less in amounts and frequency of the bad stuff.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    Got any better coping mechanisms for stress? What about social eating while dining out with friends? I guess just don't do it. I don't think I eat allot of bad foods or allot in quantity but probably do and also I do like pasta which is probably a main problem. When was on low carb I hate 6 times a day. But most snacks that I had were cheese sticks or cook leftovers from the night before with high fat content as trying for low carb. Eating eggs bacon sausage steaks are not low fat healthy. 1700 calories is not allot. I don't see how a deck of cards size piece of chicken and 1/4 cup of broccoli is enough food and not leave me hungry for more food for energy. Add exercise(if I can find time and a reason for chest pains when exercising) and I would be walking around like a zombie. Dr's say just eat healthy and exercise but won't tell what that really is.

Garnerville, NY