Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buyers remorse ( eggcessories that are useless)

124»

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    You have a big green egg pizza stone and don't use it? I'll take it off your hands
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Keeping it just in case. Also, the grate lifter. The ash tool works as well. I don't use the asparagus clips often but I don't regret buying them. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Someone gave me as a gift the slider basket, tried it once and will never use it again !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Someone gave me as a gift the slider basket, tried it once and will never use it again !

Been there bought that. Don't use it :/
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tksmoke said:
    ++++X on the BGE Cookbook.  Ouch!!!  I hate it when I get sucked in by Brand marketing.  My platesetter was part of the package on the XL.  It ranks right up there because of the amount of space it consumes buried in my deck cabinet.  Beer can chicken stand - can't believe I fell for that hype.  It could be worse, but I don't know how...
    Okay, I'll go on record as liking my BGE cookbook alot.  Sure I find lots of recipes elsewhere but it has some good ones such as the Beef Tenderloin, the Beer Brined chicken, the bourbon turkey and more that are great.  Plus it's easier to me to look at paper in the kitchen than to sling my laptop around the messy counter top.

And I like my placesetter, wouldn't do without it.  Were you guys told the beer can chicken holder was a cure for polio or something?  It is just an upright roasting stand.  You act like it cost you a mint.  It works and it was cheap.  

And the ash tool works great for me.  

Hate to be all positive and I don't work for BGE!
    XL Owner
  • Just to prove I can get with the thread, I will say that the Grid Lifter with the spring in the handle is not worth the money.  I bought a thirdhand and it is much better.

XL Owner
  • ElCapitan said:

Just to prove I can get with the thread, I will say that the Grid Lifter with the spring in the handle is not worth the money.  I bought a thirdhand and it is much better.

I've had good luck with mine bur wouldn't mind seeing the alternative
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    cazzy said:
    ... You don't see me posting steak cooks now cause I do all my steaks indoors. I can make a steak on my stovetop with a CI pan better than any steak anyone can grill on the egg (unless they're using a cast iron pan on the egg). It's quicker and gets me superior results.
    Just curious @Cazzy...are you using a combination of sous vide/CI on the stove?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    I'm still learning so I might change my mind but my regret is getting a few items before I bought a stand or outdoor storage cabinet. I bought an XL Woo2 and lump reducing brackets and I don't have a good place to put them while I cook. As dirty as they get I'm trying to avoid junking up my patio. I'm also not sure I know enough to be using them properly. 

I like the ash removing tool but I hate the mess it makes pulling ashes out of the bottom vent. But since I don't have any extra shelves for all my accessories, I can't just pull all that stuff out to sweep from the inside. 
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • henapple said:
    the swing out legs.  Wobbly and just about useless since you couldn't put anything under it.  I resemble that remark...

LMAO! That's too funny.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • Just to prove I can get with the thread, I will say that the Grid Lifter with the spring in the handle is not worth the money.  I bought a thirdhand and it is much better.

I've had good luck with mine bur wouldn't mind seeing the alternative
    Here you go:  http://thirdeyeq.com/Home_Page.html
    XL Owner
  • pretzelb said:
    I'm still learning so I might change my mind but my regret is getting a few items before I bought a stand or outdoor storage cabinet. I bought an XL Woo2 and lump reducing brackets and I don't have a good place to put them while I cook. As dirty as they get I'm trying to avoid junking up my patio. I'm also not sure I know enough to be using them properly. 

I like the ash removing tool but I hate the mess it makes pulling ashes out of the bottom vent. But since I don't have any extra shelves for all my accessories, I can't just pull all that stuff out to sweep from the inside. 
    Interesting that you brought this up.  I looked at building or buying a table but didn't like the lack storage options.  As I thought about it and looked around I decided to buy a mechanics tool chest instead.  I keep the wood chips, gloves, lighters, thermometers, lifters, drip pans, etc in it.  I use the top surface as a prep area. I then bought a rubber maid trash can with a locking lid to store my lump charcoal.  And lastly, I bought a metal ash bucket with a lid from Amazon.  It's great because it can handle ash that has some burning embers and it has a lid to keep it from getting wet between dumps.  
    XL Owner
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    The original chrome grill it came with.  I much prefer the cast iron grill.  I'm also a dedicated user of my plate setter, but I bought a drip pan to set on it but now I just foil the plate setter and then discard the foil to keep it from getting all gunked up.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• I have PS with PS Woo as well as AR and still love them both. Which one I use depends on the cook. My regrets are, like many others, the BGE cookbook and the jalapeño popper rack. Glad to read an earlier post that the rack can be repurposed for s'mores, looking forward to trying that.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    Zmokin said:
    The original chrome grill it came with.

Unless somebody did a switcher-roo on you that grate is stainless steel and not an inferior chrome plated grill. Don't pitch it as it has more value and use than you seem to realize just now!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    RRP said:
    Zmokin said:
    The original chrome grill it came with.

Unless somebody did a switcher-roo on you that grate is stainless steel and not an inferior chrome plated grill. Don't pitch it as it has more value and use than you seem to realize just now!
    No switcheroo, I was using the term "chrome" loosely meaning shiny skinny metal one as compared to the heavy black cast iron grill I prefer.  I haven't pitched it, but it sits uselessly in the bottom of the drawer under my egg.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.