Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meditteranean Style Stuffed Deboned Chicken (pic intensive)

Decided to give Jaques Pepin's technique out last night by deboning a whole chicken.  I remember seeing his video years ago on another forum and forgot about it until recently.  Just saw someone on this forum do the technique (sorry, I can't remember who), and it got me thinking about it again.  Here is the link to Jaques Pepin's video.    He makes it look a lot easier than it actually is, but all in all it wasn't too difficult I guess.

Stuffed mine with Prosciutto, Artichokes, Kalamata Olives, Capers and Feta Cheese.

Saved the "Chicken Lollipops" and threw those on the grill for an appetizer.

The Mrs. made a homemade Greek Dressing that I drizzled on.  The taste was incredible!

Drizzled on a little Greek Dressing on the whole chicken as well, to finish.

Cross section of the White Meat:

Cross Section of the Dark Meat:

Definitely one of the best things I've ever egged up!

·

Comments

• Absolutely spectacular!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,650
    Wow well done.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • SGHSGH Posts: 13,645
    Awesome job sir!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,941
    Bravo! I can't decide which plated shot is my favorite.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • TackmanTackman Posts: 224
    That Pepin makes it look easy. I have to try it. I may pick up two chickens, so when I make a mess of one, I can spatchcock the other. Nice cook!
    Cleveland, Ohio
    ·
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 1,070
    That look delicious.  Favored to try at some point.  Thanks for sharing.
    Large BGE
    Morton, IL

·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,392
    Looks great. Your culinary skills make me jealous
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    Sacré Bleu!!!  That is farking outstanding!  You even made ze lol-eee-pups.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    ^:)^  You da man, Dying_SC!! You da man. =D>

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,912
    Bravo!!! Great results! Almost makes me want to pick up a chicken to fight with ;)
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,312
    That is amazingly better looking than mine was. I didn't even want to post a pic since the stuffing was comming out and I couldn't get mine tied very neatly. Yours looks absolutely perfect!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • Wow! So I have three questions:
    1) How long did it take?
    2) What was the hardest part of the operation?
    3) What curse words did you use during the operation?
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,404

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

@Cymbaline65, it really wasn't all that bad.  It did take me awhile longer than it took Pepin.  I kept having to pause the video over and over so as not to get lost.  LOL  I'm guessing it took me around 35 minutes to debone, but much of that time was spent washing my hands going back and forth between cutting the chicken and pausing the video on my phone.  There wasn't really any part of it that was difficult...just took a little while to do since it was my first go at it.  And no curse words were said.  ;)

·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,783
    looks great.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • Well I'm certainly impressed. You've inspiried me to try a Ballatine this weekend. Well done!
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,434
    Awesome! ^:)^

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • BigWingsBigWings Posts: 105
    Looks fantastic!   Moist looking plate after the carving, slurp!

I ran through the Pepin video twice, and rewound a few tricky parts until I was sure I had it down.  Made the first one easy, I kind of massacred the second one (got cocky) so I re-watched the video before attempting the third time, which I made last night as well.   Probably took less than 5 minutes that time, so it does get easier.

Your post makes me want to get experimental with stuffing now.   

New Brunswick, Canada

·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,207
    Hot Damnnn!  I watched that video awhile back and thought NO WAY, but you nailed it - very nice. 
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    Man that looks delicious, watched that video and wow I really learned a lot from that fellow, I think I will be watching more of his vids.

Cheers
    ·
  • That looks great. I so wish I could do that!
    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • So far I only stuff things I can hammer flat and roll or cut a pocket in- That looks awesome
    Visalia, Ca
    ·
  • Nicely done, sir. Nicely done. Ever since I saw that video I've been wanting to do this.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

·

Thanks, ladies and gents!  @BigWings, , thanks, that's good to know!  I was hoping it would get quicker with experience!  :)  @johnkitchens, give it a go!  It really isn't so bad.  Just make one on a day where you can take your time. 

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,447
    Very, very nice!!! ^:)^

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • LoggerLogger Posts: 236
    @Dyal_SC ; Well done Sir.  You've now inspired me to plan one.
    Can you share the Greek dressing recipe?
    Thanks in advance.
    OKC area  XL - Medium
    ·
    Thx guys !

@Logger, she used "Brown Sugar Mama's" recipe for the dressing found here:

http://bsugarmama.com/greek-salad-homemade-greek-dressing/

Pretty awesome stuff! She ran across it on Pinterest.

·
  • chashanschashans Posts: 418
    Professional...the cook and the photos! Bravo.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

·
  • portaporta Posts: 88
    Wow! You have inspired me. This will be my next cook. The only question is what am I going to stuff it with, Hmmmmm.......
    68% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    ·
  • Fanfreakintastic! You are an inspiration for sure! I watched the video a few times but never got the nerve to try it. But maybe I will....
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • Absolutely fantastic. Wow.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·