Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is one thousand degrees possible in a Medium ?

Options
From time to time I drift over to a outdoor site with a cooking section that has has a faithful group of BGE followers.

To the point: One of the guys there says that he regularly amps his large up to 1K degrees on his LBGE. Is this possible on my medium and if so how would I go about doing it using RO lump.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have done that PLUS.... But by accident on a couple of occasions.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    All those guys that talk about cooking at 900/1000 degrees never really admit just how many cooks they've burn the sh!t out of. LOL

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    1000? Is this for a clean burn? or? I have on the large, again by accident. I am not sure what I would cook at 1000 really?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    easily reach it with mine, just lay your fire for maximum airflow or get a HighQue grate, and open all the vents.   Only get it that hot for searing.
    Pentwater, MI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    CarolinaQ says he bakes pizzas on his large at 1,000 degrees all the time...where you hiding Michael?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    CarolinaQ says he bakes pizzas on his large at 1,000 degrees all the time...where you hiding Michael?
    900°, actually. But I gave it up. Scares the hell out of me. Plus it burns too much lump. And 725° is just fine. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    All those guys that talk about cooking at 900/1000 degrees never really admit just how many cooks they've burn the sh!t out of. LOL
    Agreed.  And say goodbye to your factory gasket.  Rutland's will take it, not sure about Nomex.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I've been way higher than this on the large. Medium needs induced air to get that high.

( image

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    My first BGE thermo wrapped on my MBGE, it didn't want to calibrate after that. My Tel-Tru reads close to that, I find mesquite will take it high - if you can stand the sparking. High-Q grate.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    If you had Maple Leaf you wouldn't get that sparking. I guess they won't send it out there cause you guys would smoke it not smoke with it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    Normally when I least expect it. One night I could not figure out why temp was only 250 until I figured out the 800 degree dome thermometer had wrapped. Publix Greenwise and the replacement gasket from BGE was not damaged. Do this as a clean burn several times a year.
    That's a hot cook
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Yes it capable of that temp but why on earth would you want to AMP it like that??
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Little Steven
    Options
    Yes it capable of that temp but why on earth would you want to AMP it like that??
    Marghareta pizza, flank steak, sous vided proteins

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hardboiled329
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. Would like to do a thin crust pizza at 750ish on a stone.

Loosely pack RO lump and leave the draft wide open till it reaches 750 and then stabilize ?

The 1K degree question was for my curiosity

Denny.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You want a raised grid, indirect piece some spacers that are no more than 1" and the pizza stone or steel on top to do high temp pizza. The radiant heat from the lump will overheat the stone otherwise.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hardboiled329
    Hardboiled329 Posts: 14
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Little Steven,I'm using a WOO2 with a medium stone. Should I buy an additional stone to act as a baffle/diffuser to protect the other stone and use spacers between them?

Denny.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Without even trying it is possible.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• scooter759
    Options
    @Hardboiled329-test fit your setup before you start. On my medium, I tried plate setter legs up, Woo2, grate, one inch spacers, 13 inch stone from CGS, could not close the lid.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • scooter759
    Options
    Sorry, correction, plate setter legs down.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Hardboiled329
    Options
    Just to clarify things. I am not using a place setter. Don't own a PS .

Should I use 2 stones with the WOO2 ?

Denny.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Just to clarify things. I am not using a place setter. Don't own a PS .

Should I use 2 stones with the WOO2 ?

Denny.
    Yes. Please trust me on this. I have friends with pizza ovens and I can do better pies than they can. You need two indirect pieces, whether it be a platesetter or ceramic piece. If you live in a decently populated area check out ceramic supply stores. CGS is not ridiculously expensive and very convenient. I use 1/2" copper plumbing tees as the spacers because the points of contact are minimal and there is less of a chance of thermal transfer through the spacers. If the gap between the two pieces is much bigger the heat will curl around the first barrier, like the legs up platesetter. You have to get the stone up high in the dome for maximum convection.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hardboiled329
    Hardboiled329 Posts: 14
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thanks Little Steven. I will order another stone and take your advice. Good point on the convection.What's your dome temp recommendation ?

Trying to duplicate a South Philly pie as where I live in WV is a culinary wasteland
    :))

Denny.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It really depends on your dough. I'm not a baker and can't follow a recipe to save my life but my wife makes the doughs. There are tons of recipes for puffy, crusty or thin crusts. As I understand it's the ratio of 00 flour to semolina and gp. I do not like arithmetic at all. That said, even if I buy pizzeria dough I like them north of 750* Marghareta at 1000* or better

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hardboiled329
    Options
    Ithe ratio of 00 flour to semolina and gp. 
    gp ? Please explain. I'm very new to this.

Denny
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry, two countries separated by a common language...All purpose flour

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hardboiled329
    Options
    Thank you for your help, SIR.

I will be searching for ingredients tomorrow.

Have a great night.

Denny. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You want a raised grid, indirect piece some spacers that are no more than 1" and the pizza stone or steel on top to do high temp pizza. The radiant heat from the lump will overheat the stone otherwise.

Why no more than 1"
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Because the heat "curls" around the indirect piece and heats the pizza stone, it's not the radiant heat, more like convection.

Steve 

Caledon, ON