Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would You Let Someone Else Use Your Egg?

13»

Comments

• Man you have a lot of responses but I remember a "cleaning/damage deposit" the last time I rented. I think this is part of a standard rental agreement? Forgive me but I didn't read all the responses but what would be wrong with a $500 deposit on the egg for damage not covered by warranty? You would be covered for a base or a dome. You could charge it over the 12 months and it would be around $40 bucks a month. Dude gets his money back or you are mostly covered in the worst case.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I say no, unless he swears that he's an egghead and appreciates the responsibility involved.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    not in a million years
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    edited February 2014

Sure... When someone cooks on any one of our four Eggs in The Coop, they receive a genuine:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/leroymcmillin/2014%20Photos/ICookedInTheCooptoken.jpg

token...

It's just part of many traditions here at the Chicken Ranch.

Spring "Tradition Can Be Fun Too" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• HANDS DOWN-  HELL NO!  
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Ask your insurance guy about his opinion about things like
    • Flashback of the egg
    • Leaving hot lump un-attended
    • Liability of someone getting burned
    Sell it to him if you must or build it into the price of the rental over 12 mos.  +$90 monthly add on.  That way you won't have to replace the gasket when you get back.

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• My gasket is close to completely gone already, so I'm not worried about that.  We're going to be asking for a pretty hefty security deposit as it is.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Have fun in Europe. .. :((
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Just put it in a corner of your garage john. My only prob with that is he'll never treat it like it's his John.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• I don't let my wife mess with my egg,  I darn sure won't let a renter mess with it. Store it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    The answer is a resounding no. The exwife was cheating and brought the dbag over and he cooked on my egg. That was the last straw and I kicked her out. I was up for reconciling until then.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    If you  are asking. You  already  know what  you should do. put it in storage.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    tamu2009 said:
    The answer is a resounding no. The exwife was cheating and brought the dbag over and he cooked on my egg. That was the last straw and I kicked her out. I was up for reconciling until then.

That's messed up!!!!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tamu2009 said:
    That is not good. Kind of funny but not good. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You said you were on a sabbatical. ..Webster says...

Main Entry: sabbatical year

Function: noun

Date: 1599

1 often capitalized S : a year of rest for the land observed every seventh year in ancient Judea 2 : a leave often with pay granted usually every seventh year (as to a college professor) for rest, travel, or research —called also sabbatical leave

If you've been this blessed.. who cares about a piece of green ceramic?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Yes, the second entry is what's going on here. There's no religious aspect behind what I'll be doing, though based on some of the responses in this thread, I may be saying a couple of prayers for my Egg.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123

Make sure it is in the security deposit. 

This. Any damage to the egg comes out of the deposit.

Also, you should probably add something to the rental contract that has instructions on proper use and warnings about how easily the user can get burned by opening the egg carelessly and that you're not responsible for any burns, fires, other injuries or damages caused by use of the BGE.

I can just see some idiot lighting the egg, getting burned or at least surprised by the fireball when they open it, slamming it shut, breaking it, cutting themself on the broken ceramic, and then suing you for pain, suffering, and hospital bills.

If you're gone for a year and leave it out, it's going to get used.  Just make sure you've covered that in the contract.