Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

unimpressed

2»

Comments

• I used to live on West End right next to that part of time.  We bought a house over on the East Side this summer and have absolutely fallen in love with the area.  I've found that if I have to head to Green Hills, it is best to get in and out before the mall opens.  I do like WF and Trader Joe's for certain things.  TJ's has the stuff called cookie butter which is pretty amazing and some sesame cashews which are also tasty.  WF has good pizza dough balls you can buy, good sausages, and a nice beer selection.  
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    The nearest TJ to us is 1 1/2 hrs away. We like the $3 buck chuck and pizza dough as well. The pizza dough freezes very well.
  • We just got both WF and TJ. I liked WF but in TJ I felt that I might be the only female with shaved armpits... Will definitely wear Birkenstocks next time.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    edited February 2014
    LakeSeminoleEgger said: We just got both WF and TJ. I liked WF but in TJ I felt that I might be the only female with shaved armpits... Will definitely wear Birkenstocks next time.      

:))  That was not something I expected to read on a food forum!  

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

We just got both WF and TJ. I liked WF but in TJ I felt that I might be the only female with shaved armpits... Will definitely wear Birkenstocks next time.

Don't hate on Birkenstocks. They have saved my back as a RN. I get a sweet pro deal too.
  • stantrb said:
    I recently moved to KY from FL, and let me tell you: Whole Foods and TJ are the bomb when there's no Publix. Publix is such a gigantic leap above the competition that it manages to provide a boutique experience and feel with chain prices. Absolutely unbeatable, and sadly missed north of Tennessee.
    I live in FL and have enjoyed Publix for the last 15 years up until about last year, their meats and produce have taken a huge dive. I took raw chicken wings back 3 times last year because they smelled rotten. And the eggs are now consistently disgusting, so the clerks all check each carton as you ring them up, they never used too. 

I now get all my wings from Whole Foods. They are always right on point and CHEAPER than Publix. I get my other meats from Fresh Market, they have good, but pricey stuff as well. They are building a Trader Joes not far from me and I am excited. They have great products.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Trader Joes list
    Turkey meatballs
    Orange chicken
    Fries
    Chicken tenders
    Chicken strips
    Cheese filled mini crackera
    Salad dressing

That is all, good stuff for the kiddos and quick dinners.
    Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,718
    edited February 2014
    Piggly wiggly here is like going and buying groceries at a gas station. A big dirty truck stop gas station! Public is my favorite but I'm stuck with Winn Dixie here. Don't have a TJ or WF with out over an hour of driving
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @jerkchicken - I am glad you mentioned Whole Foods Chicken - its always great and cheap too!  In my book, nasty chicken pumped with solution (tyson/perdue/etc) is the worst stuff on earth and I avoid it at all costs.  

I am just saying you can be smart and shop WF & TJ without over spending. Every week Whole Foods has some kind of chicken (full bird/wings/breast/etc) on sale, so I buy the family packs every week - brine it in bulk - grill in bulk . . and I am set for the week!  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • I went to TJs a couple of months ago looking for Tri Tip. Thats prolly the only reason I would go back to that pricey place cuz we can't get that cut anywhere else. I didn't notice until I left that my car was the only beater in the lot. That splains a lot.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Trader Joes is a shithole, their food sucks.  They get by on quirky marketing bs, kind of reminds me of J. Peterman
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I'm fortunate to have two family run grocery stores within 5-10 minutes of my house.  In the North East, at least in Southern Connecticut - Whole Foods is a necessity.. Stop & Shop, A&P, Shaws .. are all terrifying by comparison.  

The two family run places have great quality products and I just pay attention to sales.

Trader Joes .. I find some enjoyment in their frozen apps from time to time .. but I wouldn't want to shop there.
  • Whoa man, take it easy! TJs and Whole Food are great stores, as long as you don't use them for all of your shopping. TJs has great alcohol prices and a really large wine selection, as well as a lot of great odds and ends such as great frozen appetizer and desserts etc. I go to whole foods to get good produce especially in the winter when my local farmers markets are closed, or to get good fish.

Other than that, if it's not your cup of tea...live an let live?
  • SkinnyV said:
    Trader Joes list Turkey meatballs Orange chicken Fries Chicken tenders Chicken strips Cheese filled mini crackera Salad dressing That is all, good stuff for the kiddos and quick dinners.
    Those turkey meatballs though....so good
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    i just stick with our market basket and some local butcher shops up here. shaws, stop and shop, whole foods i never go to, prices are high and the selection just isnt there for me. shaws for a beer run on the holidays, place is a ghost town, i dont even think their employees shop there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited February 2014
    I don't have a butcher near me, so I like whole foods for meat and their craft beer selection is great.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,823

I went to Whole Foods the other day and got a nice strip for me, and was going to get a filet for SWMBO, but they were way high (the strip was gorgeous and reasonble).  I went to our local grocery, and the prices were essentially reversed - super high for a strip, and a very nice priced prime filet.  I noticed that the wings at WF were pretty reasonable as well.  I love WF's dry goods - beans, nuts and grains.

It just depends on the particular item that you're looking for, IMO.  I would agree in not doing the majority of my groceries at a specialty market.
    NOLA
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234

My wife works at Fresh Market..in October both Whole Foods and Trader Joes opened up within a Mile of Fresh Market.  At first Fresh Market lost 35% of sales compared to their previous years...well as of yesterday Fresh Market sales were up 20% from last year(wife is a Manager and gets to see fun sales numbers) She also states that people were driving crazy distances to go to the whole foods and trader joes...after they saw the prices they shopped around at the stores in the area..and started shopping at fresh market.  im biased when it comes to grocery stores since everything I get comes from The Fresh Market..but it seems there doing something right.

I remember when everyone was flocking to the new stores; we checked them out and were also unimpressed.  More so with trader joes then Whole Foods. Trader Joes was a bunch of pre-packaged stuff..it reminded me of a glorified Sams club or something.  Whole foods was nice, but way way over priced.  We bought Tahini to make Hummus and it was like $18 bucks..crazy high priced.

Big fan of Fresh Market-their meat is outstanding.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I'm lucky, I work just around the corner from a butcher.  They have the usual cow, pig, & chicken, but they also carry buffalo, elk, venison, etc.  Yesterday I stopped in looking for brisket, all they had at the moment was frozen, they informed that today they were getting in a new shipment and I could come in at noon before they carved it up and they would cut a chunk to my liking.  After picking the slab I wanted a piece of, showed them how much I wanted and they sliced off the slab I wanted, weighed in 4.5 lbs (I was targeting 4 to 5 lbs).  That was awesome.  Can't wait until Sat to smoke it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Aloha
    " ..three buck Chuck"?  It has been so long since I've been to TJ that Chucks was two bucks a bottle.

Then we left Oregon and moved to Hawaii.  No Tj here and it is not missed by me.  Do drop in at Whole Foods once in awhile.  Love the store and even purchase something, once in awhile.

Aloha
  • Did not like/trust the over priced TJ in the Bay area. Preferred Andronicos in B'zerkely, Podestos, Safeway or Costco. Whole Wallet was just going into Norcal when we returned to TX.... The 6th street WW is not even the ghost small little store on Lamar that we remembered.
    You go to Andronicos before Berkeley Bowl???
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Did not like/trust the over priced TJ in the Bay area. Preferred Andronicos in B'zerkely, Podestos, Safeway or Costco. Whole Wallet was just going into Norcal when we returned to TX....
    The 6th street WW is not even the ghost small little store on Lamar that we remembered.

You go to Andronicos before Berkeley Bowl???

Berkeley bowl on heinz has calamari rings.. DELICIOUS.