Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish for people who do not normally eat fish

13»

Comments

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    We ate at a buffet last Sunday and the fish was excellent to my taste.  It was fried and not "fishy" at all.  I asked the owner what it was and he said pollock. I am no expert so will rely on what he told me.  I may try this on the Egg if the snow ever melts. 
    Pollock comes from very cold salt water (Alaska). It is what imitation crab is made from.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    Mackerel and Salmon are both excellent slow smoked and then refrigerated. Then eaten cold as snacks.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    You can also eat fish poached and steamed (healthy!).

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Thanks for the heads up @chashans! I might try eating different types of fish and other seafood out at restaurants to find something I like before trying to make it on my own.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    you should also try some haddock en papillote recipes, great light and quick summer meals, lots of variations if you google it so flavors can easily be changed up, lemon and dill, tomatoes and capers, zuchini and shredded carrots etc

and for pickerel, a pickerel is a pickerel, a walleye is a walleye, a pike is a pike. three different fish. know what your catching
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Herb Crusted Fillets of Brill with Tomato Salsa - Gordon Ramsay

I did this for my wife and sister in law who hate fish, but they were on a special diet that included fish and they loved it, even the fussy kids ate it.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Wow - that does look pretty appetizing! I'll have to add that one to the list and give it a shot. Thanks @Stoater!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

fence0407 said:

Thanks @Foghorn - any tips on the blackening method?

To blacken the Mahi I dip the steak in melted butter than coat with your favorite blackening seasoning. The Mahi goes really good with fresh lime juice. Cut a lime and squeeze it onto both side of the steak. Cook in a preheated cast iron skillet. Once done, drizzle with some more lime juice and sprinkle some fresh basil over the top and serve. You will die and go to heaven, gauranteed!

I usually just do the butter and blackening spice - but that sounds really good.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• With any fish, the closer to just-caught the better.
    Have marinaded shark in milk to get rid of the fishy.  Worked great.  Was told this by the guy who caught it.
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama