Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Switching from BGE lump to Rockwood

I have had my large egg since December 2012. The only lump I can buy locally is BGE lump. I have read so many favorable posts about Rockwood that I ordered 5 bags. My wife just called and said they were delivered. It will be this weekend before I can try it out, but I can't wait. If I like it as much as I think I will I am going to order a pallet of it. If any of you have switched from BGE lump to Rockwood please tell me your thoughts.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Switched to Rockwood 5 months ago…excellent results. Used to use OO but it became too pricy.
    Fairview, Texas
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Do it and you won't look back. Love Rockwood!!
    XL BGE
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I switched from Royal Oak (who makes BGE lump) to Rockwood. Will never look back. The lack of VOC's in Rockwood doesn't even compare to RO. I can light the fire, get to desired temp and start cooking. With RO, I had to wait 45 min for the VOC's to burn off. Now what do I do with the 9 bags of RO I have????
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Thanks guys. @tuloclay I just read last week that RO makes the BGE lump. From what I understand RO is a low quality lump. I would think the BGE would want someone better producing their lump. Now I am wondering if I have ever cooked a meal on my egg that all of the VOC's were burned off. I usually wait around 30 minutes before I put my meat on, but sometimes the center is burning pretty good, but the sides really aren't going that great. I do remember a few months back I lit the lump and started cleaning the pool and time got away from me. When I realized it the fire was absolutely roaring. I mean every piece was burning and if I am not mistaken that cook was one of the best I have ever done. I can't wait to try Rockwood this weekend. This may just change my cooks for the better!

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    +1 on Rockwood. I used 1 bag BGE, several bags of Frontier, and a few Kroger bags....Rockwood is my favorite !!!!! No regrets. Hope it works out for you.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Bummer, I went to try and buy some Rockwood online as there were no dealers in the area and I got this wonderful message

*** Not available for sale/shipment to in California ***

:(( ~X(
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• I switched too!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    When I can't find anything else and I am out - I will use BGE. It is a decent charcoal. Definitely prefer Rockwood.
    Cookin in Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks guys. @tuloclay I just read last week that RO makes the BGE lump. From what I understand RO is a low quality lump. I would think the BGE would want someone better producing their lump.
    OUCH!!! And here all these years I have been very happy with Royal Oak!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    tulocay said:
    I switched from Royal Oak (who makes BGE lump) to Rockwood. Will never look back. The lack of VOC's in Rockwood doesn't even compare to RO. I can light the fire, get to desired temp and start cooking. With RO, I had to wait 45 min for the VOC's to burn off. Now what do I do with the 9 bags of RO I have????

I will gladly buy them from you. I have no problems with RO!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Sorry @RRP. I am just going by what I have read on this forum. 

• Had 5 bags delivered today! Tired of RO and VOCS.
  • Had 5 bags delivered today! Tired of RO and VOCS.
    I got mine today as well Steve!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Agreed that Rockwood is great stuff. But RO isn't that bad, especially considering the price and availability. Now that HD carries it, I only have to drive 10mins to get it. I wish Rockwood was that easy to get. Someday... :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I am 30 miles away one way from the nearest WalMart and one hour away one way from the nearest Home Depot. All I can get locally is BGE lump. 

I am hoping that I love Rockwood so I can buy a pallet of it!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    So here's a question.  I've been reasonably OK with BGE lump up til now.  I don't mind waiting until the VOCs burn off - 30 min or so, but I'm always looking to upgrade.

I picked up a big bag of FOGO off of Amazon in anticipation of running out of BGE.  But I probably have one large load of BGE left, and I'm about to attempt an 18lb butt and 10lbs of wings for the parades this weekend (not at the same time). 

I've heard good things about the FOGO, but I haven't used it.  I did run out of lump on one BGE cook, but that was mostly my own fault (some used lump and I didn't fill it up enough).

Should I use the unfamiliar FOGO lump for this important cook, or go with the known, but allegedly inferior BGE/RO lump that I am familiar with.  What say you?
    NOLA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    You will really like the Rockwood. Smells better, burns longer and even sounds better.  Especially on the low and slow cooks.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • I started with BGE, then went to Dragon's Breath, and have now settled on Rockwood. Great smoke, gets plenty hot, and easy to light. Hope you enjoy as much I as do.

Cheers!

Chris

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have been using the royal oak 18 pound bags from RD for several years and used RO from Walmart before that. I have never once had an issue with food not tasting good from the charcoal. Its easy let it burn 30 minutes and your good to go.
  • RRP

Lit said:
    I have been using the royal oak 18 pound bags from RD for several years and used RO from Walmart before that. I have never once had an issue with food not tasting good from the charcoal. Its easy let it burn 30 minutes and your good to go.
    Me too...guess I am beyond the "try a bag of this" and "try a bag of that". I have long been on record for panicking when my supply gets down to just 400 pounds of lump on hand and I run out like a druggie to get a fix back up to the 600 to 700 pound range! Even right now I have 570 pounds of lump on hand which consists mostly of Royal Oak and Ozark Oak with a couple bags of Chicago Charcoal. I tried Wicked Good's Weekend Warrior and was able to sell 80 pounds of that to get my money back! Maybe it is what lump you get used to, but IMO judging a brand by just one bag is a crap shoot! It is like the occasional complaint of finding a rock  - OH HEAVEN FORBID - in a bag and going off on that particular brand as junk and they are ripping you off blah blah blah!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Anyone have a retail price on Rockwood?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • joe, i read in a forum post that you can buy in ace hardware in atl area for 24-28/bag
    Beaufort, SC
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    RRP said:

Lit said:
    Me too...guess I am beyond the "try a bag of this" and "try a bag of that". I have long been on record for panicking when my supply gets down to just 400 pounds of lump on hand and I run out like a druggie to get a fix back up to the 600 to 700 pound range! Even right now I have 570 pounds of lump on hand which consists mostly of Royal Oak and Ozark Oak with a couple bags of Chicago Charcoal. I tried Wicked Good's Weekend Warrior and was able to sell 80 pounds of that to get my money back! Maybe it is what lump you get used to, but IMO judging a brand by just one bag is a crap shoot! It is like the occasional complaint of finding a rock  - OH HEAVEN FORBID - in a bag and going off on that particular brand as junk and they are ripping you off blah blah blah!
    You are the only guy I know that hoards more then I do. Charcoal used to be harder to find around here after labor day so when I started egging I would fill up my shed for the winter soon after. If I didn't have at least 600 pounds going into winter I got nervous. At 700 I can't say I was worried. As for brands, I like trying different stuff, but other then RO, Wicked Good was a favorite.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    4Runner said:
    Anyone have a retail price on Rockwood?
    No one around me carries it and I got mine from a local group buy with some other forum members (thanks @proser) and I really like it, but FireCraft has it for $20 for a 20-lb. bag.  Kind of high, but it's good lump and shipping is free for orders over $99. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• RRP
    RRP said:

You are the only guy I know that hoards more then I do. Charcoal used to be harder to find around here after labor day so when I started egging I would fill up my shed for the winter soon after. If I didn't have at least 600 pounds going into winter I got nervous. At 700 I can't say I was worried. As for brands, I like trying different stuff, but other then RO, Wicked Good was a favorite.
    Thanks, Brother!!! My "need" started 14 years ago when I bought my first egg plus 1 bag of lump in October I believe. Soon after I went looking for more "lump" only to discover even my BGE dealer didn't have any in stock...(guess with that brilliant business mind is why he went bankrupt the following year)! Well, I found another 20# bag in town and it had to last me like 3+ months and I swore I would NEVER be out of lump like that again!!! Now you know why when I get down to a mere 400 pounds of lump on hand I panic! LOL
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Where is the best place to buy it online?  I live in Michigan and there are no locoal dealers.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've used BGE, RO, Cowboy, Frontier and just found some Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. The only lump I was truly disappointed w/ is Frontier...because had a lot of uncarbonized lump, VOCs took well over 1hr to dissipate and throughout the entire cook the lump snap crackle and popped (BADLY). I was hoping to like Frontier as I found it at Sams Club for $10 per #22 (bought 2 bags to give it a try). Anybody else find Frontier to be ok and perhaps I just got 2 bad bags? I have not used the Wicked Good as of yet but, per forum talk sounds like a winner??? And it was reasonably priced but, not as low$$ as Frontier. What say you?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I am still a newbie but it seems that Rockwood holds a steady temp much better than BGE, Kroger, or Frontier ( the only ones I have used ) For shortening the BGE learning curve, using Rockwood lump is a +1. No I don't work for Rockwood !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143

butert said:
    Where is the best place to buy it online?  I live in Michigan and there are no locoal dealers.

Order 5- 20lb. bags and get free shipping.

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Tried to put site on but it didn't work, its FIRECRAFT.com