Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'd like critiques on this brisket method

bigearl
bigearl Posts: 25
edited December 2013 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
Do we this once and it was perfect texture and bark- wise. Just wasn't the most flavorful.

16 lb brisket
Trim fat to about 1/4"
Marinate overnight in 2 cups of salt and a 2 liter of coke

When you're ready- rinse all marinade off and dry the brisket with a towel.

Massage in your chosen dry rub

Cook at 225 for 45 minutes per pound

Bast every hour or so with Pig Stand bast
huh?

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I'm not into cola as a marinade
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    What kind of meat.(select, choice, etc)?
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Not a fan of the coke. What purpose does it serve? Wondering ( and I don't "know" ) where it dilutes the flavor part of the brisket... if that makes sense.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    No brisket expert here but I would ditch the marinade,put rub on while the egg is stabilizing and bump the heat to 250-275 and count on a good 1 1/2-2hrs per pound. Start checking for tender around 190ish and pull when it probes like buttah. The individual cut of meat will impact your cook as well. I always try to by choice or better and you want it to be crazy floppy when you handle it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • It is my understanding that the acidity and sweetness in cola will infuse flavour and to a very minor extent, tenderize the meat. The difference between cola and beer is in the sweetness, beer does have some alcohol which also helps to tenderize. We often inject pork butt with cola, never tried a brisket.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'm no brisket expert, but I'm not a fan of marinating. I guess I could understand the logic if you bought a select with lil marbling.

Basting every hour seems a lil much and also sounds like a lot of work. If you're going to do it, wait about 3 or 4 hours till you actually start forming a bark. After that, do so every 2 hours.

At 225, you'll be at about 90 minutes per pound.

Also don't forget your brisket needs to rest for 1 hour minimum before you start slicing it up.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited February 2014
    Shoot, got me!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....