Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help please, ancho chilies, mama not happy

Options
Hi all, trying to make the coffee rub, starts with M, rhymes with hickey. Here in Richmond VA having trouble finding powdered ancho chilii. Not in grocery stores. Went to our best Latino market today and they only had the whole dried anchos. I've been grinding them away in a pepper mill. I'm sneezing, dog sneezing, other family members about ready to kick me out cause it's all over the kitchen, floor, etc. Help.. Where can I buy powdered ancho online? P.s. Only a couple of drinks consumed so I don't think that's the problem. IDEA: a cooking 911 app button! Ok, three drinks and counting.
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have McCormicks ancho powder. Maybe go to a bigger store. Or, you could take your food processor outside.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Thanks @Little_Stephen. I'm afraid that if I take it outside to the man cave, they will lock me out and I'll have to sleep on the billiards table.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    Options
    Ok maybe it is the bourbon because I misspelled @little_Steven.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I dunno dude. I make stuff with Indian white chili powder and the ancho is mild by comparison. I do love the clear nasal passages and the tear duct flush though. Need to do something to unblock the tear ducts cause the Canadians didn't lose in hockey. Thanks for the reminder.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited February 2014
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The Spice House and Penzey's both have it. I'm amazed you can't find it locally. Even I can get it in my one-horse town!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JethroVA
    Options
    Thanks @Canugghead, I have a Fresh Market here
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Penzey's has larger quantities and fair prices.  Locally I can only get it in 1 1/4 oz. packages.  Even with shipping Penzey's will be cheaper and I have a buddy at work who will split a pound with me..
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Do you have a coffee grinder?  You could try using that to grind the dried chilies or a food process like LS suggested.   Maybe go outside to open it up, but while you are grinding it shouldn't be a problem because it is contained. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BGE Convert
    Options
    Jethro, I am pretty sure that you can find it in a whole foods, fresh market or even Kroger....It is very common the find Ancho Chile....Generally this is located in the McCormick spices with the black label and not with their common offerings of chili powder, garlic powder etc. I know for a fact that you can get this at Penzey's in Cary Town....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Jethro, I just noticed you are in Richmond, which means you have Food Lion stores all over the place. I'm almost positive that the one in Fredericksburg has ancho powder (as well as a limited selection of whole chilis). No, I'm not suggesting you drive to Fbg. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited February 2014
    Options

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Jethro send me your address and I think I have a small bag I just bought that I can put in the mornings mail. Not going to need as headed to FL for the next 10 days. mjrawls at me.com You can fix that, correct
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have McCormicks ancho powder. Maybe go to a bigger store. Or, you could take your food processor outside.

Do you want me to have you a few dime bags ready to take back? Buying bottled is way more $$$. I only buy bulk.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mickey said:

Do you want me to have you a few dime bags ready to take back? Buying bottled is way more $$$. I only buy bulk.
    It might be hard to keister it. Even though it's mild, the colon is much more sensitive than the mouth. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited February 2014
    Options
    McCormicks, Hunt Valley facility. Never had problem finding spices at Giant supermarket in Eldersberg. Just asked the manager to order for me. If you use dried, heat the chilies up in a dry SS or CI skillet to bloom...don't burn (if the chiles too hot to use your finger tips to turn them over, then, it is too hot for the dried chile). Remove stems, seeds and veins then grind in coffee grinder, and then back in the warmed (no heat) pan for several minutes to dehydrate. Pour cooled ground pepper in a class jar and what your don't use to make the rub, store in freezer. One of the best peppers for red enchilada sauce and one of the main components in a bowl of red. Buy online from Penzeys...alot easier. Not a fresh as homemade, but easy peazy way to go.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    I found McCormicks Ancho Chile powder at the local Food lion (grocery store). I live in a very small town so I would think most have it.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I looked at 3 different grocery stores here in Des Moines, IA and no one had it...but we do have a penzys...that was my last option.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Cyclops42
    Options
    I can't find it in Atlanta. Checked Publix, Krogers, Fresh Market and as previously stated a local Hispanic store and can only find whole dried peppers as well.

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• JethroVA
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I found some.