Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some wing assistance

Options
buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
Hi all -

I did a small batch of wings a few days ago, in anticipation for a larger cook this weekend.  They came out pretty good, but I think there are a few things that can be better - particularly with regards to a crispier skin.

I was pretty happy with the recipe overall - rubbed with coriander and cumin and a little s&p, raised direct for about 40 minutes around 350.  Tossed in sauce of Frank's, butter, and apricot preserve, then back on the grill for another 15 minutes or so.  I don't want the wings to be overly sauced (for cleanliness factors), and I think I achieved that.  I just didn't like the consistency of the skin.

A couple of things - I fast-defrosted the wings (cool running tap water), towel dried, and let sit with the rub for about an hour.  I know overnight is better.  Will that make a difference?

I know corn starch should crisp up the wings a bit.  I added some to the rub, but what is the best way and time to add that?  How much?

I went for close to an hour based on what I read on here, but really, I think they were close to temp a lot quicker than that.  They definitely weren't overdone, other than some charring on the pieces in the hot spot of the grill, but are those cook times right (approximately) ? 

I'm going to attempt about 10 lbs for the Mardi Gras festivities this weekend (along with a large butt), so any advice is appreciated!

Thnx!
NOLA

Comments

• margareedaville
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, and I respect the thawed method and everything, but I go with the Tyson frozen buffalo wings.  Throw 'em on frozen on raised direct 400 for about 45 min and they come out soooo crispy - better than any wing place I can go.. 
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Tyson:
    SEASONING SOLUTION INGREDIENTS: Chicken broth, tapioca dextrin, potato starch, dried red pepper sauce (aged red peppers, vinegar, salt, garlic), sodium diacetate, salt, maltodextrin, corn starch, garlic powder, spices, yeast extract, extractives of paprika, annatto and turmeric, modified corn starch, vinegar, sunflower oil, natural and artificial flavors, chicken fat.
    Frank's:
    Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Natural Flavor and Garlic Powder
    NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Rub and Corn starch or baking powder mixed together in a 3:1 ratio. Then allow to sit out on a tray overnight in the fridge. This helps create the pellicle that will crisp up during cooking. That's probably why you see it so many times in the Tyson ingredient list.
  • margareedaville
    Options
    mmmm... pellicle...
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I making wings tonight, I need some pellicle...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • MatAlexander
    Options
    I do mine at 300-350 until done, then pull them off and add sauce. As I am doing that I open up the vents and get the egg to around 500-550. I then put them back on the grill until I like the color/crispiness of the skin. I got some great results doing that with these honey sriracha wings the other day:

Gadsden, AL
    Twitter: @matalexander