Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish for people who do not normally eat fish

Options

Comments

• ShadowNick
    Options
    I love fish but my folks are seafood-adverse. They do love when I do tilapia though. Very mild, and relatively cheap. I toss the filets into a ziplock with olive oil and cajun seasoning to marinate for a few hours, the do them on a cedar plank on the egg
    Pentwater, MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Blackened mahi mahi converted me from a non-fish eater to a fish eater.  Give it a try. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Thanks @Foghorn - any tips on the blackening method?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited February 2014
    Options
    We ate at a buffet last Sunday and the fish was excellent to my taste.  It was fried and not "fishy" at all.  I asked the owner what it was and he said pollock. I am no expert so will rely on what he told me.  I may try this on the Egg if the snow ever melts. 
    fresh pollock is just as good as cod or haddock, the only problem is freshness, pollock needs to be eaten day of catch or flash-frozen, cod can be 2 days old fresh, haddock is still good at 3 days. other than that the three are very similar in flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Sautee any firm white fish in a (non CI) skillet with EVOO and lemon juice but do not cook it through. Pour in a 1/4 cup of Cointreau and flambé or boil off. Add 1 cup fresh orange juice and poach the fish till done. Remove fish to a warm plate and reduce the orange juice to a pan sauce. Serve with sautéed potatoes, and green veggies. Just a suggestion!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't try shark. You might never try fish again.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    as for fishy taste i find swordfish to be fishy close to the skin,and rainbow trout to be fishy tasting to the point i will never eat one again. brook trout and brown trout not so fishy, tuna fish has so little fish taste i sometimes marinate them in fish sauce. salmon are mostly fishy unless you catch one thats landlocked in fresh water
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    @can yall school me on buying frozen fish from the store? Pros, cons?
    I would really hesitate to answer anything other than "Don't". After checking out where you are at, I found this site, I hope this will help you go find/source some quality fish.
    http://blogs.ajc.com/best-of-big-a/2011/08/22/best-place-to-buy-fresh-seafood/
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Options
    Lastly, I want to add that I totally understand trying to not break the bank when it comes to buying seafood, however over the years I've found that seafood really isn't the medium to skimp on price as the quality (at a good fish house) is often reflected in the price.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Most of the frozen fish is tilapia or flounder, right? Those are good mild fishes but unsuitable for the grill – too thin. 

I love haddock, but it's pricey. Scrod and cod are great. Not a big fan of salmon. 

I also cook on oiled foil in the egg. Sticking can be a problem.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @Helmet - completely understand on not trying to go too cheap on the fish. Think I might give fish tacos a try. Seems like I could add enough toppings to help with the taste.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    @jlsm - where do you buy your fish from? Grocery store or market?
    Cumming, GA  

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I have the great fortune to live near a market with dozens of food vendors under one roof. I buy my seafood from a fish monger whom I have known for years. 

I thought I didn't like fish much, either, until I decided I needed to eat more of it and bought the cookbook "Fish Without a Doubt" by Rick Moonen. I have branched out from my usual salmon/scallops/shrimp and discovered I really, really like some fish, particularly cod, scrod and halibut. If you want to eat more fish, I strongly recommend this cookbook. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fence0407
    Options
    @jlsm thanks - I'll give that book a try. I feel like I need to start somewhere and find a few meals that I learn to like.
    Cumming, GA  

• shadowcaster
    Options
    SWMBO has never liked fish until she tried my salmon. I am a firm believer in that a lot of the bad experiences come from the way things are prepared. I also understand that some people just do not like certain things. I for one have tried mushrooms multiple ways by multiple people but do not like them one bit. I always try to get "wild caught" fish and I also tend to stick with sockeye, as it seems to be a little less "fishy" than some of the others. I prefer skin on that way I can throw it right onto the grill. I sometime cut slits into the filet and push butter down into the slits. Season with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, brown sugar and you can also use some maple syrup. I cook it direct, skin down. When it is down use a spatula to get the filet off the grill. If you put the spatula between the meat and the skin the meat will pull away easily from the skin, leaving the skin on the grate. I usually crank up the heat to burn off the skin while we are eating. This is my favorite way to cook it and everyone seems to really enjoy it, even the non fish eaters.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Go to a good fish market. Try to get fresh fish, if it smells fishy it is old and not fresh. It should not smell fishy when you buy it or when you cook it. Most people that say they don't like fish it's because they had fish that was not fresh. So if it smells fishy don't buy it. I've done all kinds on my egg. Swordfish is a good one for egg,cook it like a steak. Any light delicate fish I season with a rub and some lemon juice and wrap them in foil. When it flakes apart easy it's done
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    My favorite is walleye, turned me Into a fish eater.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Thanks @Foghorn - any tips on the blackening method?
    To blacken the Mahi I dip the steak in melted butter than coat with your favorite blackening seasoning. The Mahi goes really good with fresh lime juice. Cut a lime and squeeze it onto both side of the steak. Cook in a preheated cast iron skillet. Once done, drizzle with some more lime juice and sprinkle some fresh basil over the top and serve. You will die and go to heaven, gauranteed!
    Pure Michigan
  • fence0407
    Options
    So I'm taking it that Kroger (or another grocery store) wouldn't be the best place to pick up fish on the way home? Just looking to do some simple fish tacos this evening, but it sounds like I need to hit a market up instead.
    Cumming, GA  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
     When it is down use a spatula to get the filet off the grill. If you put the spatula between the meat and the skin the meat will pull away easily from the skin, leaving the skin on the grate. I usually crank up the heat to burn off the skin while we are eating. This is my favorite way to cook it and everyone seems to really enjoy it, even the non fish eaters.

Salmon skin is delicious and is often on Japanese menus by itself (i.e. separate from the flesh). 

If you score the skin a bit before cooking and rub with oil, it won't separate from the flesh quite so much and will add a nice flavor.  It might not be as tasty for the fish-squeamish, but if you like salmon, I highly recommend it.  (and I've tried this in the oven and sautee, but not on the grill, yet...  I love salmon skin).

NOLA
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    @fence0407 try this recipe for fish tacos.

also Kroger might be fine depending on what type (quality) of fish they have but you are probably better off stopping by a place that has fresh fish.
    Pure Michigan
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @shadowcaster - I pass by "The Fresh Market" so I might stop there. Never been in to their store, but I'd imagine it might be better than Kroger/Publix.
    Cumming, GA  

• shadowcaster
    Options
    buzd504 said:
     When it is down use a spatula to get the filet off the grill. If you put the spatula between the meat and the skin the meat will pull away easily from the skin, leaving the skin on the grate. I usually crank up the heat to burn off the skin while we are eating. This is my favorite way to cook it and everyone seems to really enjoy it, even the non fish eaters.

Salmon skin is delicious and is often on Japanese menus by itself (i.e. separate from the flesh). 

If you score the skin a bit before cooking and rub with oil, it won't separate from the flesh quite so much and will add a nice flavor.  It might not be as tasty for the fish-squeamish, but if you like salmon, I highly recommend it.  (and I've tried this in the oven and sautee, but not on the grill, yet...  I love salmon skin).

I will take your word for it!  :)) I will have to give it a try the next time I do salmon. I usually separate the skin purposely but next time I will keep it on. Would it be better to do it indirect so it doesn't burn?
    Pure Michigan
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Rockfish is also a good fish that is not really fishy tasting and is dense but not overly dense. I have not cooked any on the egg yet so you would have to search for a recipe but my wife loves it and she is NOT a big fish person.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2014
    Options
    buzd504 said:

I will take your word for it!  :)) I will have to give it a try the next time I do salmon. I usually separate the skin purposely but next time I will keep it on. Would it be better to do it indirect so it doesn't burn?

Probably, but a little char to the skin isn't a bad thing either.  Low temp (300, 250) raised direct would probably be good too.  I need to try it soon as well.
    NOLA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Personally I prefer white fleshes fresh water fish. Pickerel (Americans -and some Canadians:( - call it walleye) and yellow perch are two that are great, mild, white flesh. I love perch filets dredged in panko and fried. Nothing remotely fishy about it.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • fence0407
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Well I attempted fish tacos tonight. Decided to get 3 tilapia fillets and followed most of the following recipe. http://www.biggestloser.com/nutrition/recipes/fish-tacos . Overall they turned out okay. I used a chipotle ranch dressing on top of bell peppers, fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and shredded cheese. I ate 2 tacos and my wife enjoyed 1. I'll probably give them another try some time with some different seasonings. Thank you all for the advice!
    Cumming, GA  

• shadowcaster
    Options
    They look really good. At least they were good enough for you to be willing to try again. It's cool that you are open to trying new things
    Pure Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Pickerel! Fresh water mild taste or pompano for a salt water fish. You guys call the pickerel walleye of somesuch

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @shadowcaster‌! It was a little heavy on the lime flavoring and could use a little more heat. I'm thinking about using my DP Raging River rub next time...
    Cumming, GA