Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish for people who do not normally eat fish

fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
Greetings fellow eggheads. I'm looking for suggestions on how to prepare fish for someone (me) who doesn't eat seafood. I can do fried calamari in marinara sauce - that's about it. Looking for: 1. Type of fish to cook 2. Seasonings/marinades 3. Grilling preparations/methods 4. Anything else that would be helpful for someone who knows nothing about cooking fish Gracias, Fence
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    if you can do calamari, then probably bacon wrapped scallops, most deep fried fish like haddock or cod, seafood chowder, maybe a cioppino because of the tomato if they can get past the clams, tuna steak if they can get past the red interior. most of these taste like the sea, not fishy tasting
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Start with a white fleshed fish such as Cod or halibut. Both are very mild and not fishy tasting.
    Seasoning can be as simple as butter and lemon pepper.
    Cooking can be grilled direct at about 350 to 400 or baked , broiled or sauteed.
    If grilling make sure you get thick pieces of fish. thin pieces cook real fast and will fall apart.
    Fish cooks fast. I use an internal temp on thick pieces of 125 degrees.
    Duncan, SC
  • fence0407
    Thanks guys. Do the flavored wood planks help with cutting down on the "fishy taste"?
    Cumming, GA  

• I've enjoyed great success with steelhead trout. A little evoo, a lot of your favorite rub, 10-20 minutes direct on a soaked cedar plank depending on size/thickness. It eats great and there never are leftovers. Less "fishy" than salmon (which I love) and alot cheaper at BJ's. It's from Chile, probably farmed, but eco-concerns aside, it tastes great and is priced right IMHO.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • fence0407
    Thanks @HendersonTRKing! You mentioned reasonable prices (something I'm also looking for) - what kind of prices should I expect for decent fish?
    Cumming, GA  

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Grouper, flounder, whitefish, and red snapper are a few that are really good and meaty.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Good advice. I am in the same boat, not a big fish fan due to the "fishy" taste. My wife loves fish and I would like to make some for her on the egg. I do like Mahi Mahi and Tuna. When I tell my wife that the fish tastes fishey, she replies with "Of course its fish." She truly does not understand what I mean by "fishy tasting". So to those of you who like fish, do you actually like the "fishy" taste? Or just tolerate it.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    What fishy taste?
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    edited February 2014
    hers a simple way for the scallops, i think the fish here was haddock http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149752/fish#latest
    fukahwee maine

• fence0407
    @SoCal_Griller - how do you prepare the Mahi Mahi? @buzd504 - lol - it's fishy, I promise! @fishlessman - thanks for that link. Might give that a shot soon.
    Cumming, GA  

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Swordfish doesn't have a "fishy" taste and has texture more like red meat.  Season with EVOO, sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper then simply grill. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fence0407
    Thanks @GATraveller - I know I'll probably have to adjust to the overall taste of "seafood", but I'd like to give it a shot. I feel like I'm missing out on some good food - plus the health benefits are obvious.
    Cumming, GA  

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Most fishy tasting fish are the fish with high oil contents. Mackerel and salmon come to mind as fishy to me.
    Duncan, SC
  • Swordfish doesn't have a "fishy" taste and has texture more like red meat.  Season with EVOO, sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper then simply grill. 

Swordfish doesn't have a "fishy" taste and has texture more like red meat.  Season with EVOO, sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper then simply grill. 
    I agree I like most of my fish fried but swordfish on the egg is great,easy,and fast.
  • tcampbell said:
    Squeeze a little lemon on it when done.
    I agree I like most of my fish fried but swordfish on the egg is great,easy,and fast.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

Squeeze a little lemon on it when done.

+1 - forgot that part!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Have you ever thought about fish tacos?  Awesome with grilled cod (not fishy) and a grilled/roasted pineapple salsa!
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• Try Monk fish, very meaty almost steak like and as long as it is fresh very mild.  My top choice for fish
  • fence0407
    @EggSpinner - I have not tried fish tacos. Sounds like it might be a good mix of flavors though so thanks!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Thanks @SmokingInMo - I'll add it to the list of things to try!
    Cumming, GA  

• On prices, I recall being startled at the difference between salmon and the steelhead trout -- maybe the salmon was 11.99/lb and the trout was 4.99 -- somewhere around there. Both were beautiful, huge fillets (up to 2lbs), but since I intended to serve it up as an alt entree for non-meat eaters, I took a dive and bought on price. Turns out, however, that the steelhead was a great change from salmon and just a fantastic eating fish. We've eaten it off the plank and also in fish tacos. Highly recommend.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • fence0407
    @HendersonTRKing - that is great to know. When buying things like the steelhead trout - do I look for fillets with the skin removed or not?
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

• fence0407
    Looks like a good meal!
    Cumming, GA  

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    edited February 2014
    I hate to disagree with anyone on here, as I have learned SO MUCH from so many of you, but I think that suggesting Salmon/trout (any of the salmonoid species) is a really bad idea. Those fish are particularly known for having a fishy taste. I personally love them, but I really don't think those are good suggestions for someone looking to 'dip their feet in the pool' regarding eating fish. Stick with the choices that others mentioned regarding white fish (Haddock, cod, halibut). Same goes for Swordfish - I really don't recommend that as a starter for someone who isn't a seafood eater in general. 
    I also agree with the folks who suggested fish tacos. They can be excellent, you can get a lot of other flavors in there too, so with a nice white fish and a pineapple mango salsa on the tacos, you could be amazed you are even eating fish.....
    Blackening a good whitefish is also a good way to start too. 
    just my .02
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Skin on for trout and salmon and skin side down on the plank -- doesn't require a flip though depending on hot spots, it's sometimes worth turning the plank. Just close the egg and let the magic happen.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    It's also worth mentioning that although some fish aren't known for a fishy taste - sometimes by the time a fish makes it to where YOU live, it's not exactly the freshest - hence my suggestion to stay away from trout also.
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Fishy taste is in the mouth of the be-eater. Agree that there are fishes known for fishy taste, but my experience is that's often more a question of sourcing than species. No one eats bluefish b/c it's "fishy" which it definitely is when you buy it at a supermarket. But fresh caught and grilled up same day, it's awesome. I do have to agree that the cods/haddocks are known to be "mild", as are "steaky" fishes like swordfish. These become vehicles for the rubs, spices and sauces you put on them. No doubt that's probably best for someone "fish averse". But, that said, I've been feeding this particular variety of steelhead trout to people who've sworn they don't like the "fishy" taste of fish and they've become converts. YMMV, of course, and I'm giving no guarantees of anyone's success.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • We ate at a buffet last Sunday and the fish was excellent to my taste.  It was fried and not "fishy" at all.  I asked the owner what it was and he said pollock. I am no expert so will rely on what he told me.  I may try this on the Egg if the snow ever melts. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • fence0407
    @Helmet - I've heard over and over about making sure to get fresh fish as it makes a big difference. I also agree with @HendersonTRKing that it will ultimately be up to me how "fishy" it tastes based on how I prepare the fish. I just needed a starting point for someone who doesn't know much about fish. This is a great discussion and I appreciate the help from you guys. Can't wait to give these suggestions a shot. Another question I do have though - can yall school me on buying frozen fish from the store? Pros, cons?
    Cumming, GA