Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need to eat more fish, but yuck

Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a little picky about fish. Flaky white stuff is OK, and I like seared tuna, but my better half says I do that too often.[p]I've never like salmon much--too fishy. But the maple salmon on the DP site looks good and even says it appeals to those who normally don't care for salmon.[p]Have you done maple salmon for somebody who doesn't like "fishy" or do you have other ideas to help me get out of the tuna rut?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Trouble,
    lobster
    oysters
    clams
    ok
    they aren't 'fish' i guess.[p]stuffed sole (with crabmeat)
    findan haddie
    fried catfish
    rainbow trout [p]all pretty mild.[p](sounds like it's flavor you don't like, not just fish!)[p]one of the best peices of fish i ever had was wild coho salmon. holy mary mothera god. good stuff.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Trouble,
    We like BGE's Sweet Maple Seasoning on salmon filets. Sprinkle it liberally on both sides of (skinless) filets and grill till the flesh is flaky. (It helps if you lay it on foil, sprayed with non-stick spray.)[p]You might also like to try tilapia - it's mild and "not fishy". I do an egg wash before breading it with panko. Then onto an oiled griddle in Ms. Egg (the large) at 400 degrees. 2 and a half to 3 minutes per side is all you need. The panko gets golden, and stays crunchy.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Trouble
    stike,
    confirmed on the wild coho. we used to have friends based in Kodiak. they would flash freeze a few salmon minutes after pulling it out of the water. they'd ship it here, we'd pick it up at the airport. they'd fly here. we'd party. now that's a good recipe.[p]salmon from the store or even a good restaurant has a tough time competing![p]I like the flavor of grouper and other fishies like that...it just depends on how they're prepared. And it has to be done outside!

• Trouble
    BlueSmoke,
    Excellent ideas, both. Thanks, Ken. I might go ahead and try the salmon. My husband will like it for sure...and if I don't that's okay. Next week: tilapia.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Trouble,
    steaked mahimahi/ dolphin fish. cook it the same as your tuna steaks, its as good as the tuna. havent egged shark yet, but have had really good skewers of cubed shark meat while eating out. i dont really like salmon, but that maple buttered stuff is really good ( from the fillet, i like the shoulder end much better than the tail end, if i keep a salmon, which is rare, i give the tail sections away and steak the rest. the steaked salmon cooks to a different consistancy and isnt as fishy and mushy as the fillet. heres the way i like to do tuna steaks

[ul][li]bluefin tuna[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Trouble,
    Two ideas on the salmon. 1 - coat them in panko bread crumbs and then do the DP Ragin River Rub and maple/butter thing. 2 - put some run on the salmon, then put slices of banana over the top of the fish and add a bit more rub. Then do the maple/butter thing as normal. Banana and salmon go well together and the banana flavor might tone down the fish taste.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Trouble
    fishlessman,
    that looks incredible. the lazy cook in me loves a marinade reused as a yummy sauce. thanks for the tip about the shoulder end of the salmon; I never knew there was a difference and I'll ask for it cut from that end.[p]muchos gracias

• stike
    Trouble,
    well thank god for that, my friend. i thunk you were looking for that rare, beef-flavored fish.[p]HEY! that's an idea. anyone ever have manatee?

• Trouble,
    That close to the ocean and you don't like grouper? Just butter/lemon juice and salt and pepper.[p]Mike

• Trouble,
    red snapper filets, brushed with olive oil and dizzy raging river (or for a little more kick, tsunami spin). . . grilled drirect on a bed of lemon slices. ...very mild, great flavor....[p]DSCN0325.jpg[p]

• Trouble
    holy cow, TNW.
    I love this place. my head would absolutely never have bananas and salmon occupying the same space at the same time (either in my head or on the grill).[p]I can't wait to try this. Maybe after the more conventional maple salmon.[p]See! You guys have turned me around within a few posts. I've been skipping "fish day" cause it was too boring and fishy. Now I know what I'm doing on fish day for the next 4 or 5 weeks.

• stike
    Trouble,
    i once had a banana and a salmon occupy the same space at the same time, but that was in the crazy days of college when we'd try anything.....[p]

• Trouble
    All,[p]OK, I have my list of fish choices (snapper, tilapia, grouper, salmon) and I'm off to settle the most important criterion--which fish at the monger's looks and smells the best.[p]If you haven't tried the bed of lemon slices (see the Max post), it really works well--subtle but nice. And yes, CWM, it's about 200 yards to the sand. and yes, grouper is pretty good...as far as fish go :-)[p]Thanks again, everybody.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Joyce,
    As was mentioned below, the wild salmon is awesome. And farm raised actually has a very mild and slightly buttery flavor....but you gotta get it fresh. If you can't but it from behind the counter (where the guy will let you smell it), then choose the package that looks best....at the store, poke a hole in it with your finger and smell it. If it smells good buy it. Fishy? Give it to the fish guy and tell him it is not fresh.[p]Not that everybody who doesn't like salmon is gonna like it, but there is a world of difference when it's real fresh. I have seen quite a few non fish lovers who were diggin on that maple salmon recipe.[p]Except for the really oily fish like mackerel, blues, etc., a large majority of the fish are really mild when fresh. [p]Good luck with putting the tuna rut behond you!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Trouble,
    as an accompanyment for your salmon stuffed with bananas, try some warmed mango chutney.
    This dish started life as a classic french dish from a chef called Escoffier over 150 years ago. The fish used was Black Sole or Dover Sole, and the dish was called Sole Veronique. This dish is gone out of fashion in recent years, but is equally as good now as when Escoffier invented it some many years ago.
    Roger

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Trouble,[p]All the bolow posts are great.... Your might consider shrimp as a suitable substitute for fish...AND..
    definitely try Crawfish to add to your seafood repertoire[p]Always works for me[p]Dale

• KBuck
    KBuck Posts: 42
    The Naked Whiz,
    Sounds great, I assume you don't flip it but rather Grill/Bake banana side up until done? Would this be a good time to leave the skin on and do direct? Hope it's not too late to find Naners at the store.

• Cajun, did you catch the TV show Dirtiest Jobs last week. They took the dude crawfishing in the swamp. It was funny to watch as the ole Cajun who took him really worked him hard. There was plenty of one liner banter going between the two. Tom
  • KBuck,
    Yep, no flipping! I do them on a raised grid direct, and the fish I used had no skin.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • salmonb.jpg
    <p />Trouble,
    Here's a photo of the salmon with banana. I forgot I had this. I sliced the bananas lengthwise. If you slice in along the curve of the banana, you can have a piece of banana that will sit nicely over the curve of the salmon without breaking.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • stike,
    No, but I have had seal. Not my favorite. You're looking for fish that tastes like beef. This was the opposite.[p]Paul

• Trouble, no one mentioned swordfish, its good for a change. I'm not a big fish person nor I'm into shellfish, well maybe some nice fresh Abalone, but that no where to be found. I saw some snapper (also called rock fish) what you need is to have Guava Wood start a fish export and get some real nice fish from the islands!!! I could use some Opakapaka about now!!
  • Trouble,
    A easy marinade for salmon is soy sauce and brown sugar. It kills most of the fishy smell and tatstes great.

• Clarky
    Clarky Posts: 16
    Trouble,
    I love a fillet of Striped Bass with some chopped tomatoes and onions (soaked in EVOO) laid across the top. Cook at 300 (skin side down) until flakey.