Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a good temp probe...

Options
There are so many different kinds and brands of temp probes out there, which ones do you guys suggest getting? I don't need anything fancy just dome temp and IT.
Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE

Comments

• shadowcaster
    Options
    What exactly are you looking for? An instant read thermometer? If so I would say the only option is a Thermapen. If you are looking for something to monitor throughout the duration of cook then I would say get the Maverick ET-732 or the ET-733. Both are good and both monitor the pit temp and meat temp with a wireless remote display. They also have the ability to set alarms so you know when the food is done or if your Egg gets too hot or cold. Hope this helps you out a bit
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    + 1 on what shadowcaster said.

Opelika, Alabama
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Shadowcaster said it all.  While the folks on here argue about lump,  cooking techniques,  how best to raise your grid and a million other things,  there is rarely any argument about the Thermapen and very few complaints about the Maverick.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    +1 for the Maverick setup. If you are like me and couldn't spend the money on a Thermapen at the moment, a good instant read thermometer would be the RT600C (made by the same people who make the Thermapen): http://www.amazon.com/RT600C-Super-fast-Water-resistant-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B002GE2XF8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393428657&sr=8-1&keywords=RT600C+Super-fast+Water-resistant+Digital+Pocket+Thermometer
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Thermapen and Mavericks are bot good, the pen being excellent and the Maverick being just OK. They are for very different uses. The 'pen is instant read, check as you need readings. The Maverick is a constant read unit with two probes, one for the pit, one for the food. It is also wireless so within a couple of hundred feet you can stay in touch with the cook. YOu can also set alert points for pit low and high and food temp and up and down timers. The Maverick is prone to probe issues, but for <$80 delivered still a fair value. If you want a super accurate long lasting thermo the Thermoworks 8060 is extraordinary, costly at <$150, no wireless but never had an issue over three years.  

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I have been using the iGrill for monitoring internal and pit temps from my iPad. I've had it for about two years with no problems. The only negative thing I can say about it is it does churn through the batteries, it looks cheap and plasticky but does the job for about $100. I already had the iPad and iPhone.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Whenever I need a good temp probe, I head to my Dr's office . . . really cute nurse practitioner there who knows her stuff. For the egg, I've been relying on the dome temp and feel. But maybe it's time to buy some add'l equipment.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    It would be nice if the mavericks came with additional (spare) probes for when they fail and they WILL fail.  If not it would be nice if a store would sell replacement probes.  I have been unable to find them anywhere locally.

Garnerville, NY
  • jenericzac
    Options
    Got my 733 from bbq equipment store. Upgraded to the made in the USA waterproof probes which you can also buy seperately. Also, I'm pretty happy with my Thermopop.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    I use a Maverick ET-732 for long smokes and a Thermapen for quick reads. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I just got a case of 733's in and grabbed one for myself......I had been waiting since October for one.

They're pretty cool--can read the temps of two meats, two pits, or one meat & one pit.  It took a little while to get used to the programming, but it wasn't bad.  I didn't like all the preset meat temps and scrolling through them.  I would rather leave those all off and manually set the temp--but that's just me.  I wanted to check the range of the transmitter, but it got too cold out.

I had it hooked up at the same time as the new FlameBoss I just got in, and all the temps were within a few degrees of each other (and confirmed with a ThermaPen.)  The Egg looked like it was on life support with all the wires running out of it, but I wanted to make sure everything worked as advertised before I started selling them.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    The 733s are great, but that tiny screw on the battery cover on the base is a **** to get off.  I stripped it the day I got it.

They need to rethink that.
    NOLA
  • Jaymet73
    Options
    Just got my first thermopen that thing is a beast. Have used it several times and nothing compares. 
    Maverick 732 is my choice for long cooks. put your meat on and take the remote inside to warmth.