Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable rig to Canada?

Has anyone in Canada bought an adjustable rib? What was the damage with duty and shipping (if you don't mind me asking :) )

THanks!

Comments

• Man you don't want to know. Where are you at?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I'm reminded of the time I bought an $8 diecast car for my son from the USA... taxes, duty, shipping and $60 later I had the car. Scary stuff!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • I'm serious man, if you are GTA I know a guy that could save you some money.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Damn!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    EggNorth said:
    I'm reminded of the time I bought an $8 diecast car for my son from the USA... taxes, duty, shipping and $60 later I had the car. Scary stuff!
    I feel your pain, was it shipped by UPS by any chance?
    canuckland
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    81$ to ship the rig to Canada . Would be cheaper to go pick it up in Detroit
    Toronto
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Haha I live in the dead smack middle of Canada. My friend might come up from ohio this summer, he usually saves me some room for goodies. That's probably my best opinion haha
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    EggNorth said:
    I feel your pain, was it shipped by UPS by any chance?
    Can't remember, over 10 year ago.  Just remember getting notices to pay in the mail and charges that never stopped!   This was a Nascar car that the company I worked for use to sponsor.  A few years later they gave them out for free!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Miked125 said:
    Haha I live in the dead smack middle of Canada. My friend might come up from ohio this summer, he usually saves me some room for goodies. That's probably my best opinion haha
    Barrie?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2014
    I live in Winnipeg and I was going to buy one. with the shipping If I remember correctly the total was almost double from the cost of the rig alone. That didn't include any border money either. I said no thanks.
  • Just a question here seeing how I live only 20 mins from the border. Is it a possibility for me to get the rig and then drive across the border to a UPS store and ship it from there? I would be willing to help out if there is a way.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I understand the Canadian frustration over shipping but we don't set the rates.  We use the post offices because it's the cheapest and cleanest way to get packages over the border.   We don't feel comfortable handing packages off to our USPS route lady and have the packages bounce around her truck all day, so we make the adventurous trip to the post office to drop off the packages.

We set the Canadian rates by five weight groups,  USPS cost to send an R&B Combo to Canada is $76.05 with insurance.  Boxed the package weighs just under 18 pounds.  The rate is $81.45 on our site and it goes to 20 pounds. 

We could send packages via Fedex (physically easier for us) but from our own experience, they are great at sending additional shipping invoices weeks/months later.

If anyone knows a better method, I'm all ears.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    My experience is most border UPS/FedEx stores offer a drop pick-up point as an additional business. There are many businesses that offer the service, some with annual fees of membership. Cost per parcel varies from $5US for non-members to free to $2.50 for members. Check listings for Kinek, Hagens and google "ship to the border". 
    @shadowcaster is, if I understand it correctly, is generously offering to pick up the package and then drive it across to Canada and then mail/ship it in Canada. I'm guessing an AR would cost anywhere from $25 to $35 to ship in Canada. Remember our rub and sauce exchange?
    This morning SWMBO and I are off to Blaine (pick-up Amazon.com parcels at Hagens) and Bellingham Washington for her bi-weekly Kohls/Fred Meyer fix and to hit the local Costco. 

EDIT - depending where you live, there is no duty on an AR, it is under NAFTA duty free. There is sales tax and if a carrier brings it across, brokers charges - which usually make the cost prohibitive. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • That's what I am offering. I don't know if it would save money or time but if it does let me know, I would be more than happy to help. 
    Pure Michigan
  • or @skiddymarker if there is anything you want I will drive it to you in B.C. if I can stay with you while I fly fish for steelhead hahaha. One day I am going to make it out there. I dated a girl from Vancouver for a bit and had the opportunity but ended up not going, I still kick myself for not doing it.
    Pure Michigan
  • @shadowcaster - always welcome if you get out this way. The steelhead are not what they used to be, haven't been in years. 
    Like you, I've offered to pick up a package in the US and drive it home, then re-mail it. Many US on-line retailers will ship for free to the lower 48. The cost to re-mail in Canada is pretty much the better part of $35CDN, assuming you are going out of province. 

BTW - my dear old Dad used your signature line all the time when talking about his dogs.... miss hearing him use it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • That's what I have read,it would still be a thrill to catch a sea run steelhead though. I will say I am pretty lucky that I live in Michigan. There are not too many places where you can catch a steelhead, pacific salmon, atlantic salmon and trout all in the same state/province....anyway back to the topic at hand
    Pure Michigan
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    tjv said:

I understand the Canadian frustration over shipping but we don't set the rates.  We use the post offices because it's the cheapest and cleanest way to get packages over the border.   We don't feel comfortable handing packages off to our USPS route lady and have the packages bounce around her truck all day, so we make the adventurous trip to the post office to drop off the packages.

We set the Canadian rates by five weight groups,  USPS cost to send an R&B Combo to Canada is $76.05 with insurance.  Boxed the package weighs just under 18 pounds.  The rate is $81.45 on our site and it goes to 20 pounds. 

We could send packages via Fedex (physically easier for us) but from our own experience, they are great at sending additional shipping invoices weeks/months later.

Fedex broker charges are outrageous... USPS/Canada Post is the best way to ship to Canada. When I ordered mine (pswoo + other stuff) I just had to pay GST (tax) at the post office.

I'm serious man, if you are GTA I know a guy that could save you some money.

I'm not GTA but I'm close enough and there enough. PM me if you don't mind as I'm interested in finding out more.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • It always starts with "I know a guy" sounds fishy, be careful :D
    Pure Michigan
  • tjv said:

Tom, It's not the rates, it's the taxes. UPS is not good in Canada at the best of times but whatever company does the transport will include the taxes in the price. Fedex is better but unfortunately whatever province the stuff goes to will have some level of tax. I's 6% up to 16% depending on the province. You could use USPS but they don't collect the tax so when Canada Post delivers the package they have to collect the tax before they give you the tax. Can I come live in your basement?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjv
    Little Steven, I hear ya on the whole Canadian shipping thing.  We're exploring all options right now on ways to minimize the shipping expense, domestically and internationally.   Can't help much on Canadian taxes though!   

Sorry I'll miss you this year in Salado.

tom

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481

tjv said:
    Little Steven, I hear ya on the whole Canadian shipping thing.  We're exploring all options right now on ways to minimize the shipping expense, domestically and internationally.   Can't help much on Canadian taxes though!   

Sorry I'll miss you this year in Salado.

tom

Haha yeah can't do much about the taxes. I will still probably get one, just not as quickly.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    @tjv - maybe you can answer a question for us if you don't mind. If you sell and ship a $100 product to Mickey Mouse, living in Anaheim, Orange County, California, if I recall correctly the retail sales tax charged to those residents is 8%. Either you charge $8 CA tax and remit on behalf of your customer or the customer is responsible to remit the $8 to CA, is that correct? 

It seems to be possible to find on-line sellers who do not charge destination sales tax if shipping to a US address and the buyer may be able to avoid paying sales tax.

I think the same thing applies for US origin international shipments to Canada. If you live in Alberta, 5% GST is applicable, if you live in Ontario 13% HST is applicable and if you live in BC, 5% GST plus 7% PST is applicable. CBSA and Canada Post hardly ever miss assessing the destination sales tax for non-gift items. 
  • @tjv - maybe you can answer a question for us if you don't mind. If you sell and ship a $100 product to Mickey Mouse, living in Anaheim, Orange County, California, if I recall correctly the retail sales tax charged to those residents is 8%. Either you charge $8 CA tax and remit on behalf of your customer or the customer is responsible to remit the $8 to CA, is that correct? 

It seems to be possible to find on-line sellers who do not charge destination sales tax if shipping to a US address and the buyer may be able to avoid paying sales tax.

I think the same thing applies for US origin international shipments to Canada. If you live in Alberta, 5% GST is applicable, if you live in Ontario 13% HST is applicable and if you live in BC, 5% GST plus 7% PST is applicable. CBSA and Canada Post hardly ever miss assessing the destination sales tax for non-gift items. 

@Skiddymarker

There are some businesses in the US that are registered for the GST and these businesses directly charge Canadian customers the applicable tax based on their province of residence and no futher tax would be collected at the border saving us from the flat fee that would otherewise be added at the border.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Canadian cross border shipping is a killer, I live right on the Canadian side of the U/S Niagara Falls U.S border, and have a post office box in the U.S, usually when i buy something i can have it shipped dirt cheap by ups or usps to my us address and then whip across during my once a week shop and pick it up, sometimes I have to pay duty sometimes I don't, usually pick up some cheap booze too.  But when shipping from the U.S to Canada they take an arm and a leg.
    Hey for a free adjustable rig I could become a distributor for ya, I am used to clearing wholesale stuff through canada customs for the company I work for.
    :)
  • tjv
    only tax we collect is Texas sales tax for orders sold in the store or online with a TX delivery location.

t
    @tjv - maybe you can answer a question for us if you don't mind. If you sell and ship a $100 product to Mickey Mouse, living in Anaheim, Orange County, California, if I recall correctly the retail sales tax charged to those residents is 8%. Either you charge $8 CA tax and remit on behalf of your customer or the customer is responsible to remit the $8 to CA, is that correct? 

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    what about the possibility of having a Canadian distributer ?
    Toronto
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sounds like Tom needs to send a bunch of Ar's to Canada as gifts.
  • It wouldn't matter if Tom had a distributor RevCan will get it's 454 g of flesh

Steve 

Caledon, ON