Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's end the mini rumor (response)

So I was eager to find out about this rumor. I'm going to buy another egg soon. I'm torn like so many between which to buy. This response doesn't make my decision any easier.

"Hi Greg,

While we are always looking at new things, no changes are planned in the grill line up at the present time.

Regards,

Duane"
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Well, that settles it. 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Good job, now we know. We move on. :)>-
    Large, small, and a mini
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited February 2014
    I hear Big Green Egg is going back to clay and scissor hinges
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I was told the Mini was going to have a small motor at the base to heat faster. Also going to be painted red.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

Mickey said:
    I was told the Mini was going to have a small motor at the base to heat faster. Also going to be painted red.

Sign me up!
    NOLA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Wait!!! They were very clear about incorporating the turboencabulator coriolis venturi-m technology across the entire product line, with the exception of the XL. Of course it is common knowledge that the XL will be dropped from the product line, and replaced with the XXL on Thursday.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • I heard the new eggs were going to be made out of transparent aluminum so you can watch your food cook.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I would not be suprised if they come out with some thing new or change some thing. I have lived at my present location for 6 years and im the only one that had a egg. Several people have stopped and looked at it and asked questions about it. Of the ones that went on to buy a ceramic style cooker they all bought a kamado joe after looking at both. Im the lone ranger with the egg. I cant speak for else where but around my area kamado joe out sells the egg by a wide margin. Big companys are in the business of making big money with what sells the best. Im willing to bet that big green egg has noticed the brisk sales of kamado joe and are planning some thing. I dont know what that some thing is but I believe some thing is in the works. They would be foolish to set buy and keep watching kamado joe keep taking a large share or the market from them no matter what they say. Just a thought.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I heard the new eggs were going to be made out of transparent aluminum so you can watch your food cook.
    Would that be worth something to ya laddie? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have never seen a kamado Joe outside of a store. We have been looking at houses lately and driving through hoods have seen probably 50 eggs and not 1 kamado Joe ever. Not sure who is buying them but they aren't around me.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    That's some serious investigative reporting.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I agree with @Lit . Where I live I drive on our golf cart paths ( which go behind houses) and it seems everyone in my city have BGE!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    They are from Duluth Georgia. But it seems they have only been around since 2009.

• grege345
    Mickey said:

At first I laughed and then I saw this....

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    grege345
    Thats a good one brother!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Both a great BGE and Kamado Joe are great Kamado's brands guys. KJ is growing rapidly but it's only been about for 6-years vs. 40 plus years that BGE has been around. Over the next 5-years you guys are going to see a lot more Red and Black out there. There shouldn't be any petty animosity between owners of either brand. We all chose the products that best suit out needs. There's plenty of room for both BGE and KJ in the market. The great food you're making is what's really important. The food will be just as good off a Kamado Joe as it is off an Egg. Well, as long as you have a skilled Pit Master at the helm.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    yep good point. I just bought the KJJ. price, availibiliy and size made me go for it.. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • grege345 said:

So I was eager to find out about this rumor. I'm going to buy another egg soon. I'm torn like so many between which to buy. This response doesn't make my decision any easier.

"Hi Greg,

While we are always looking at new things, no changes are planned in the grill line up at the present time.

Regards,

Duane"

........and 2 weeks later the brand new mini-max shows up at a trade show :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I'm all for kj growing. I found my dealer to be stuffy when it came to the bye, its pricing and such.
    A little competition wouldn't hurt.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You have to shop around even on the KJs. The only local place I found the KJJ in stock was asking $500 for it. $50 over everywhere else and $150 more than I ended up paying for mine.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Can't wait until 2015 either for the mini-max...just got the Joe Jr.

I reference thegardengates .com 10% off offer and BBQ guys Matched the price. $404.10 to my door.

They have 6 more reds and a bunch more black in stock...the garden gates was shipping "early April"
  • grege345
    When does bbq guys ship?

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    grege345 said:
    When does bbq guys ship?

We wanted to give you a quick email update in regards to your order (Order #: XXXXXXXXXXX) with us, through bbqguys.com, for

( 1 )  x  $404.10 Kamado Joe Joe Jr Ceramic Grill On Stand - Black

Shipping: $0.00
    	Tax: $0.00
    ----------------
    Total: $404.10

We have received your order and it should ship within the normal shipping times, which you can see here:

Kamado Joe Joe Jr Ceramic Grill On Stand - Black   24 Hours
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Have you guys seen the new flexible cooking racks on the Joe's?  It looks like on the classic (18 inch grate) and the big joe these now come standard. 

The indirect pieces and the grates are half moon, so you can set up direct/indirect.  You can also use it to create two levels of cooking.  Pretty slick!  I hope BGE copies this too ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Have you guys seen the new flexible cooking racks on the Joe's?  It looks like on the classic (18 inch grate) and the big joe these now come standard. 

The indirect pieces and the grates are half moon, so you can set up direct/indirect.  You can also use it to create two levels of cooking.  Pretty slick!  I hope BGE copies this too ;)
    The big dilema for BGE owners is this would spell the end for the plate setter since you would not be stable with such big notches in the fire ring. The other option to keep the plate setter would required designing the rack with legs or bends so the frame wraps around inside the notches for the plate setter.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Those racks are pretty slick. Nice that they are included too. I would like to have an indirect and direct setup concurrently so I'm not moving hot stones/deflectors in the middle of a cook. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    The one thing i find different is looking on the KJ forum, I see many people have bought the kj and loved it so much they became a dealer".....so hopefully that doesnt take away from the warranty side of it. I know kj does free shipping on all replacement parts. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • STBS
    STBS Posts: 8
    While participating in a number of BBQ Cook-Offs in the FL. Panhandle, Lower AL. and SW GA. I have seen everything from converted 55 gal. drums to $30,000 trailer rigs. Further, I've seen 1s, 2s and as many as 4 XLg. BGEs, but never a Kamado Joe !!!! I personally know of one Kamado Joe amongst ALL my friends. BGE souldn't take ANY competition lightly, but from what I see, NO PROBLEM - yet..
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    I went to the dealer where I bought my bge and they pulled all the eggs off the floor and replaced them with joes. I also went to two other ace hardware stores and they only have joes on the floor. I'm in Denver.