Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would You Let Someone Else Use Your Egg?

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
edited February 2014 in EggHead Forum
So... we're getting set to leave for about a year, and are in the process of renting our home out.  We'll be heading overseas, so unfortunately, the BGE will be staying behind.  We're pretty sure we have our place rented out to a nice family.  

I'm assuming the husband will ask if he can use the BGE at some point.  I'm conflicted as to what we should say about this.  One approach would simply be to say no, sorry, you can't use it (we did not advertise it as part of the rental).  But man this has brought me so much fun, kind of a shame not to share it.  

The only real downside I can see is if somehow the guy breaks it during use (like something cracks - it happens) or if by some stroke of bad luck he manages to set something on fire.  Yes, I appreciate that those are some pretty large downsides.  They just seem unlikely to me.

What do you folks think?  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Box it up and store it, not only could it crack or get damaged someone could use lighter fluid in it....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited February 2014
    I would be hesitant for a few reasons:
    • Do you presume the guy to embrace the learning curve of using an egg?
    • Do you think he will take care of it the way you/we do?
    • Is it sitting on your deck? If so, will the guy make sure and understand the importance being mindful of burning embers and proper shutdown?
    I guess if you trust your home to someone for a year you can make a reasonable judgement and come to a conclusion. Me personally, I would have a hard time letting someone cook on my baby without me being there. I have always taken extreme care of most of my possessions and would be worried about the use/abuse by someone I really don't know. 

I would make him use his own grill and store/cover the egg until my return. 

Just my .01
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • First of all I would find out if he is interested and if so, do a cook with him to show him the ropes.  If he is still into it, then turn him on the the Forum and we'll take care of him and your egg.  After all, the majority of us on the forum seem to get by ok with out any disasters....

But you are correct that something bad could happen even if you were the one using the egg.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited February 2014
    I agree with what @jrwhitee said. 

You and I think the same my good man! LOL  
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I offered up my small to my coworker in the past without thinking twice. Probably a little different for you not knowing the individual. You could ask the individual if he would be interested in using it and if not I would pack it away. You can write up an additional contract on the egg itself if any damage occurs. Probably not worth the extra work. Might just want to pack it away in the garage
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NOPE.
    A LBGE perched atop Lookout Mountain, Fort Payne, Alabama
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I think it would require an interview and rigorous screening process.  With that said, then yes.
    NOLA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Show him how to use it and charge a couple extra hundred for rent each month!
    NW IOWA
  • Friends sure, but a renter no. Not just if he breaks it, but what happens if he gets hurt using it. you would be on the hook. Store it out of site.
    Aurora,OH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i brought my egg to a family rental for an egger to use, dont think i would let someone unfamiliar with an egg use it. came back cleaner than i had seen it in years  :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • "LANDLORD is not responsible for any loss of arm hair by the TENANT during use of the BGE"
  • I would but I'd make sure it was tied to the security deposit.  Make sure he understands no lighter fluid and leave him enough lump to get started.  I would stress that the egg is your baby.  Like the old proverb says "Teach a Man to Egg....."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    ....as much as I am enjoying mine....I would have to say no to someone else using it.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• I would probably say no because 1) they cost so damned much 2) they're not quite the same as using a metal grill. A lot more can go wrong, like getting broke.

Now if you asked me about my gas grill, I'd say sure, no problem.

ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • My initial response was no, and lighter fluid also, but i've been swayed by @SoCal_Griller's response.  If you're trusting him with your house, you should be able to trust him with your egg.   Just make sure he knows how to properly use it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Little Steven let me flip some chicken breasts on one of his eggs last summer. Knowing his nature, I suspected it was insurance in case something went wrong. Luckily for me it was all great!
    Flint, Michigan
  • That's a hard one. 
    First of all I would find out if he is interested and if so, do a cook with him to show him the ropes.  If he is still into it, then turn him on the the Forum and we'll take care of him and your egg.  After all, the majority of us on the forum seem to get by ok with out any disasters....

But you are correct that something bad could happen even if you were the one using the egg.

Guess everyone on the forum could keep an eye on him and let you know if he has troubles or damage. Kind of like your own secret service.

; ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If you decide not to leave it for them to use I would definitely pack it away somewhere such as a storage facility.  It wouldn't be fair to leave it sitting on the patio taunting him if you say he can't use it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• If you decide not to leave it for them to use I would definitely pack it away somewhere such as a storage facility.  It wouldn't be fair to leave it sitting on the patio taunting him if you say he can't use it.  
    I hear you, it's just going to be a real pain to move.  It's a large and it's in a table on my porch.  The table has wheels but it would still have to go down some stairs, then across our back lawn to the storage shed.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It wouldn't bother me. It's just an egg. You're letting them have your house. Give him some written instructions, walk him through cooking, get him on the forum. Do unto others. ..I would definitely size him up as far as common sense. Require egging in the drive on concrete.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    I just saw this after I posted Two Part Question.  I'm of the mind set that I'm not letting someone else touch my egg unless they know what they are doing with it.  Now if someone from the Forum called up and said they were going to be in Western Nebraska and needed to borrow the egg I might consider it.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • insaneh
    insaneh Posts: 112
    Send it up here. I'll watch it for you.
    :D
    Dead smack in the middle of NH
  • I would if u can trust them with a 100,000 plus home why not a 1,000 egg.that's just me.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    If u don't own a egg don't touch mine I don't wanna hear some dumb excuse,yea the guy might be good with it but what if he has friends over, there's always some drunk that has to keep wanting to play with it. I would store it so when u get back it's just the way u left it.
  • The only hands allowed to touch my egg or my wife are mine!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hmm... Drive it like you stole it?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I would not. Too expensive and the simple act if using lighter fluid could ruin it.

I'd store it off site.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    jrj3rd said:

Yes I would after some discussion/instruction.  It is a grill for g*** sake, not a nuclear device.  My gas grill cost more than my egg and I wouldn't thinik twice about letting it be used.  It is replacable if someting goes wrong just like any other "thing".  It is just more stuff and stuff falls pretty low on the value scale compared to things that really matter.

I look at it the same way I look at my Porsche.  It is a car and I let folks drive it to share the joy.  I fellow owner has a more expensive one than me that he offered to let his daughters boyfreind take her out on a special date in.  The boy couldn't believe that he was being offered a chance to drive a $100K+ car.  Dad reminded him he let's him date his daughter and she is much more valuable than any possesion.  Makes a good point...get your priorities straight, it's jsut a piece of ceramic.

+1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What's overseas?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN